Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        How is that possible?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How is that possible?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems like every first-person shooter game I play, theres numerous times where I join a 1v1 server and see a player that really stands out. Not like someone who just gets 2 or 3 more kills, I mean someone who really mops the floor with everyone, makes amazing shots, always knows where you are, and is always one step ahead of you, and makes it look easy. And I keep wondering, just how in the hell is it possible to get so good? I think ive gotten some decent years in 1v1 in unreal and quake, playin a few hours a day at most, but I i get owned by everyone and am nowhere near as good as some of the players I see. But ive always been curious what their secret is to get so damn good.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They don't have the fabled life.exe executable on their desktops.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seta cl_betterthentherest "1"

...I dunno really :/

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My experience is mostly in RTCW and RTCW:ET. The competitors that I know personally there practice 8 to 17 hours a day, everyday. They can navigate the maps with their eyes closed, and know weapon capabilities inside out. They, also, have natural ability, one of the best players I know is also a professional golfer. His reflexes are so fast he will get the extra damage in to kill me, though he is polite enough to tell me how close I came on TS.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

8 to 17 hours a day..................heh.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake is gold standard for competitive game play. I remember when I first started playing QuakeWorld (Quake 1), I got my butt handed to me time and time again. And, all players are faced with a choice - step up or keep on stepping to the next game. I decided to keep playing till I could keep up and after some time I did and continued playing Quake 2, Quake 3, and now Quake 4 I feel reasonably competitively.

I admit I’m not ready to go on tour, but I’m at or near first place more times than not on pubs. To get that good takes years of practice, determination, and genetics.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

years of determination...more like 6 months..

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 03:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well the genetics is out on my part lol. I have god awful hand eye coordination which is probably why my aim is terrible. I figured it would get better on its own eventually after playing alot but the years ive spent playing quake and unreal havent made any noticable difference.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
Well the genetics is out on my part lol. I have god awful hand eye coordination which is probably why my aim is terrible. I figured it would get better on its own eventually after playing alot but the years ive spent playing quake and unreal havent made any noticable difference.

then i gotta give you "props" (as they say) to suck, and then still suck some years later, but still play

:p

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Noob Pride :icon25:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
8 to 17 hours a day..................heh.

Yup, if you have the game you can download the demos for clans unfaithful or No Remorse on challenge-tv. They are mostly old quakers.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most players use a very high sensitivity (they can do a 360 in 2 cm mouse movement or so). I lowered mine a while ago and my aim has improved.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 04:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My mouse sens is very low.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A nice average is to have it do a 360 with a quick flick of the wrist, but thats with mouse accel which q4 doesnt support, gg raven, so I dont know, but lower is generally better...

As for what makes some better then others, its not just playing time or natural talent, but actually working on things constantly, playing for hours just working on movement, or rail aim, or timing items ect ect.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

im sorry, but, mouse accel isn't good.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok now am starting to get fucking pissed. Every game I play is 0-7, 0-8, 0-10, 0-whatever. Do some players just suck naturally? Cuz am pretty fucking convinced that I can't get better than what I am.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what's your xfire?

im jsut about to play right nwo

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wtf is xfire?

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get on aim

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't have aim.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All I have is yahoo instant messenger

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When would you ever want to do more than a 180° turn? :shrug: I can do a 180 with a ~2 cm wrist move, allowing me to turn around quickly.

Btw if your aim with projectile weapons sucks, you're probably just shooting without thinking first. What enables the pro's to do those well-aimed shots is keeping cool while determining where to shoot that rocket to intercept an opponent (in whatever way he's moving). Practicing this shortens the time needed to know where to shoot drastically, which is how pro's can even do good predictive shots in a flick of the mouse.
You could think of it as a crosshair that's a bit ahead in time, indicating where the estimated position of an opponent and your own rocket will/must be. You must have 'seen' that point where your rocket will hit an opponent before you move the mouse and shoot.

Paying attention to jumps of opponents helps with timing of your shots too. Aim a rocket where an opponent will land right after his jump.

In the Q3 movies The Badge 2 and 3 the way the players predicts his opponent's movements is visualised in a very nice way. It shows how a skilled player experiences everything that happens in the game.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

personally, i like AnnialatioN and Get Quaked 3

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I say I suck I don't mean I do completely stupid things. I time the armor and rail the best I can, and strafe jump to and from items if am in trouble. It's just my aim is always so fucking terrible that I can't really do much.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And when I do land shots it doesn't even phase the other guy. But I die in like 2 hits.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Practice will get that over time.

Also having a decent quality mouse + surface, and a competent key setup (individual keys for each weapon)

If you want to play a test duel against myself sometime, I could offer suggestions on what you could do to improve?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have all weps binded. And Ive heard that before. But I honestly don't see how another mouse will help, mine seems perfectly fine. I don't feel like it's the mouse, I really think it's me. And I don't see why I don't have the practice since Ive played fps games for about 5 years now.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll see your five and raise you a further 5.

Which is one of the points made above.

Interested in the offer of a match?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sure, why not.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
I don't feel like it's the mouse, I really think it's me. And I don't see why I don't have the practice since Ive played fps games for about 5 years now.
Well maybe it's just hard to imagine not having any talent for those things :) , but i can't really believe that you've spent 5 years conciously trying to gain skill like on those things i mentioned. Maybe you should try some friendly 1v1 training at a map like dm17 with someone who gives you the time to try to shoot him in the air with rockets. If you know the techniques but can't do them even when you can take the time for it then i guess you're out of luck (out of talent). :icon6:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

get a logitech g5, if you still 'suck' with it, return it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well maybe it's just hard to imagine not having any talent for those things , but i can't really believe that you've spent 5 years conciously trying to gain skill like on those things i mentioned. Maybe you should try some friendly 1v1 training at a map like dm17 with someone who gives you the time to try to shoot him in the air with rockets. If you know the techniques but can't do them even when you can take the time for it then i guess you're out of luck (out of talent).

I alrdy know I'm out of talent. Am just pissed because it seems like im the only fucking one. But I know I have no talent from my time on unreal tournament. I spent 3 years playing for like 4 hours everyday. And not only did I not get better.....I also fucked my eyesight. Played that much when my moniter's refresh rate was at 60htz and I didnt know it. So eyesight went from 20/20 to 30/70. So to sum it up, I lost my eyesight for nothing. :icon33:

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you considered your fov? Can make a world of difference getting the right fov. Some prefer lower, some prefer higher. Lower improves aim but at the cost of peripheral vision. Higher makes things smaller but you get to see a larger area around you in one go which can help you see where the other player is a little more easily. If you haven't done it already, I would suggest 105 to 110 fov. I've always liked 110, to me it's a good compromise between aim and my field of vision. If you're already on the higher fovs but it's not helping, try the other way and see if 90 fov will help your aim. Btw, lower fov will make you feel you're moving a tad slower. You're not, it just feels like that.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.