Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        How is that possible?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see what you mean about your vision! :p
I already typed it above.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok ty. And i don't stand still when i spawn. It's just somehow most ppl i fight have pinpoint fucking accuracy no matter how much i try to strafe and switch directions on them.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 05:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Regarding Q3, you owned bots on nightmare or the lesser difficulties? I play more Q3 than Q4 because my pc is too sucky for Q4 and I still prefer Q3. I think the enemy is easier to see in Q3, and so for you, if you're having trouble aiming, having better skins to aim at would make things easier. If you still have Q3 installed I'd like to spec you or even play you depending where you are.

Krazy_K wrote:

I hate capture the flag and team deathmatch because I hate being on teams with ppl. 1v1 is the only thing I play. And FFA I used to play alot on ut, but I'm sick of it for a bunch of reasons. I hate getting shot in the back and I hate ppl always stealing my fucking frags.

See, this statement says to me that you actually should play FFA a lot more. I don't really like teamplay either, FFA and 1v1 is all that interests me too. But you know, even though I suck at 1v1, I'm a lot better at it now because of FFA. I couldn't hit shit in 1v1 before and FFA got my aim together ( a bit more together than before it anyway). In 1v1, you'll find it hard to get better if you never get a chance to practise aim because you're fragged too quickly everytime. With FFA you actually get to practise aiming and prediction shots more easily. So if you're not doing teamgames or ffa, but only 1v1, you're making life hard on yourself. If you can't frag fairly easily in ffa, then forget 1v1 for now. 1v1 can be depressing for even the good players, it's lonely and it's tense. I have fun with ffa, but it helps my playing overall.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I say I own the bots I meant on the difficulties where its actually possible to win. (not nightmare or hardcore). As far as playing you on q3, I would if i could get q3 to work online again. Now every time i try to join a server I get a different error message everytime. And with ffa, I do play it every once in a while, It just irritates me real easily.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Server disconnected. Unpure Client detected. Invalid pk.3 files referenced!"
Wtf is this supposed to mean?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
I have quake 3. And bots dont do shit. I own the bots everytime.

Krazy_K wrote:
When I say I own the bots I meant on the difficulties where its actually possible to win. (not nightmare or hardcore).

Ah well then, you're not owning the bots. Practise against hardcore bots. Then move up to nightmare. Because online players are so much more skilled and make nightmare bots seem like I can win bots. There is noone to steal your frags offline, it's simply you, your movement and your aim against bots who have some aim but no thinking or skill. That is a great way to improve aim. If you can beat nightmare bots, you're at least someway better towards online players.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats really ungodly. I really have a hard time believeing that ppl can own bots on nightmare, considering that bots on nightmare never miss.....ever. At least not when I tried. And I have alot of issues with Q3. Almost every server I try to go onto gives me an error message and wont let me play. And I still havent figured out how to get downloaded custom maps to work, which eliminates like half the ervers I can join.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yea believe it, nightmare bots are nothing compared to online players. And sure, bots miss. It's all down to your dodging ability. Denying them rail by moving fast and getting to the rail before them is another way to stop them getting too much advantage. It's a good way to practise collecting armour and MH too. The more you can deny the bots, and the more you shield yourself with armour and health, the more chance you have of winning. Do not under estimate ( like I used to) the utter importance of armour. It really is very important.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 05:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok well I just tried and I beat a bot 1v1 20-4 on nightmare. That was definitely fun though.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 06:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You did? Well that's great. Excellent score margin too.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DRuM wrote:
DooMer wrote:
Yeah, the badge is fake.

I'm not the best player, but I can remember the exact moment when I was a total noob in q2 and everything clicked. I was spec'ing some guy who was miles better than me and thought "wait a minute, why am I playing like a fucking retard? THIS is how you play quake." Right after that moment I started destroying spirits, and crushing souls. Strange but true.

So what exactly was the breakthrough for you that changed your game forever in the pursuit of crushing souls? Was it simply a realisation of controlling the maps for armour and MH? Or something else?

It was just the movement, and everything. After watching how it was supposed to be done, it changed how I looked at the game, and my skill level went from complete shit, to above average in 20 minutes. By complete shit I mean I was one of those guys who stands there in one spot and tries to "snipe" people. Item control was something that came a bit later.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
I have quake 3. And bots dont do shit. I own the bots everytime.

sorry for being blunt, but if you can "own" the bots on hardest, why do you suck?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 02:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
Thats really ungodly. I really have a hard time believeing that ppl can own bots on nightmare, considering that bots on nightmare never miss.....ever.
Check my demos of me beating all 26 bot matches at nightmare, and not dying once (getting the 'perfect' award). Not in one stroke of course. ;) I did it about 1,5 years ago, took me a lot of map_restarts, but it's a good exercise to try to stay alive through all of the maps while reaching the frag limit first.

Bots do miss btw. :) Their projectile weapon aim isn't that great (just don't let them get close), but some bots have very good aim with a preferred weapon like RG, SG or LG.

Btw people can help you with your Q3 problems (joining servers) in the Q3 Discussion or Troubleshooting forum.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As soon as I read that snippet about the nightmare bots, I knew I was going to find Oeloe in here somewhere, pimping his demos. :p

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 09:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It would have been better if you did the single-player ladder like that. :p

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
And can someone tell me the cmd for invis weps again? I wrote it down somewhere and cant find it now.

Q4
DRuM wrote:
The command is ui_showgun 0

( ui_showgun 1 to show weps again)

Q3

/cg_drawgun 0
1 to show again.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Originally posted by NitrousFlare:
sorry for being blunt, but if you can "own" the bots on hardest, why do you suck?

I don't know. That's exactly why I posted in the first place.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 02:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
Originally posted by NitrousFlare:

I don't know. That's exactly why I posted in the first place.

Just having aim won't win (all) matches. A large part of the equation is strategy and item control; it's kind of like chess because you have to out-think your opponent. Try playing more 1v1 or small deathmatches since there is less spam and more skill involved.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Originally posted by Tormentius:
Try playing more 1v1 or small deathmatches since there is less spam and more skill involved.

1v1 and small deathmatches are the only things I ever play.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 02:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:

Then spec more matches with good players (like Doomer suggested) and ask yourself "how" when you get fragged and then learn from the mistake. You could also try downloading some of the tweaked configs people have posted here as that may help too.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
Originally posted by Tormentius:
Try playing more 1v1 or small deathmatches since there is less spam and more skill involved.

don't say you're already doing all of this, because if you are, you probably wouldn't have made this forum

maybe you're doing it wrong, i don't know

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I guess am doing it wrong then. Everything you guys have suggested I have tried before, or still do try. On a tourney server I was onrecently, one of the other players said I need to fight someone who is the same skill as me or I won't get any better, which seems to be noone. But that may be one of the reasons why I still suck.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 03:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
Well I guess am doing it wrong then. Everything you guys have suggested I have tried before, or still do try. On a tourney server I was onrecently, one of the other players said I need to fight someone who is the same skill as me or I won't get any better, which seems to be noone. But that may be one of the reasons why I still suck.

Wrong. Playing against people who are already better than you and having the determination to learn is what will make you better. Playing against people who are the same skill level won't cause you to challenge yourself.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Get owned over and over again and then when you play the mediocre players they will be easier to beat. Something I suggest to anyone: Before going into a 1v1, play with timescale 2.0 against bots or even by yourself for 15 mins or untill it feels somewhat workable. Then when you play 1v1 at normal speed everything is in slo-mo. This may seem rediculous but it is absolutely true. You will be thinking, "WHAT THE FUCK?" I have won many matches this way.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1.Been getting owned over and over for years.

2.What medicore players?

3.Wtf is timescale?

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 03:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:

Sounds like you haven't been learning from your mistakes.

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 04:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You cant beat hardcore or nightmare bots? I just started playing quake 3 ( not the first fps ive played though) and I own the hardcore bots, but not nightmare..

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 05:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you were paying attention youd see that yea I did own the nightmare bots.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude, I understand your frustration, but you're doing nothing except being negative to pretty much everyone here, not least yourself.
You have been given lots of different possible solutions by various people in this thread, you've been offered duels to help you out and to give advice to you, you've been offered to be specced to see how you play, you've been informed that quake3 discussion forum will help you with getting q3 to work online, yet I don't see a thread by you in that forum yet and you've apparently done everything else that's been suggested. What do you want now? There is no magic formula beyond what's already been said. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and try some of the things that have been suggested because the chances are you actually haven't tried them all. Anyone can get good at something with determination, the right frame of mind, and taking the correct advice when it's given to them.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:

2.What medicore players?

3.Wtf is timescale?

There are in general 3 types of players.

1. The short attention span, flavour of the month types who come in, play for awhile, get owned, cry bot and go on to the next big game. These are your frag bait newbs.

2. The player who plays and enjoys themself but doesnt have what it takes to get to the top, maybe its time, maybe desire, maybe its hardware, whatever. Likes his eye candy but puts in enough time to get decent. These would be your mediocore players, though I dont like the conotation.

3. The player who doesnt play for fun, but plays to win. The guy whoring the RG/LG in quake 3, and RG/SG in Q4. Who has his config tweaked to perfection. People in category 2 will call them fags/try hards/no life lamers, ect ect but honestly thats just them being jealous. :tear:

You sound like you want to be type 3 and DRuM and others have been more then helpful to you, but if you just cant improve and you have been playing a great deal, you may just be number 2.

There are plenty of medium tier players out there, they are the guys I beat on all the time. :icon32: There are also those out there who saddly I am happy to steal a frag off of. Right now I blame my hardware but I know the truth, they are just better then me. Thats fine, because I am willing to put in the time to get better. A few hours every night will have you improve if you play people who are just better then you. If you are getting owned you wont have a chance to improve, but if you can get beat in the 10-5, 10-7 range you'll improve if you put in the time, watch some demos and just keep at it.

Timescale is a command to slow or speed up the playback of q3 demos.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I did duel Foo. I said yes to someone elses duel offer but they never replied back. And yes, I did post a thread about getting q3 to work, i posted it in troubleshooting which is why you didn't see it. And I still play as we speak and still try to get better, i just made this thread to complain because it pisses me off that im always the worst player on every tourney server i join.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 05:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will play you. Do you have any type of instant messenger?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 05:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
Well I did duel Foo. I said yes to someone elses duel offer but they never replied back. And yes, I did post a thread about getting q3 to work, i posted it in troubleshooting which is why you didn't see it. And I still play as we speak and still try to get better, i just made this thread to complain because it pisses me off that im always the worst player on every tourney server i join.

So did foo not give you any constructive feedback about your playing? And how did you play foo if q3 doesn't work?

edit: oh, you played q4, I see.

Last edited by DRuM on 11-15-2005 05:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 05:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:

I know you've had a lot of 'oh well there's your problem!' type responses in here, but I think your practice may be suffering because of your mindset about being the worst player.

It's very hard to chart your improvement in FPS games, simply because of the ever-shifting state of the online game servers. This doesn't mean you're not improving, but it's sometimes difficult to see that.

As some extra advice on top of what I said via IM about level control (and learning to shift your focus away from chasing the opponent and onto grabbing the items), forget about the 'big' failures when you lose a match or a frag, and instead concentrate on the small ones... making a single lucky rocket shot.. catching your opponent without actually seeing him by second guessing him coming round a corner... shit like that. Go out, play the game, and when you score a minor victory like that, recognise it. Chalk that fucker up.

Small steps innit.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-15-2005 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
I will play you. Do you have any type of instant messenger?

Yea I have yahoo

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.