Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        3 weeks off .. what kind of map should i make

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 3 weeks off .. what kind of map should i make

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-13-2006 07:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i've got 3 weeks till i go to Africa so i'm going to attempt to make
a killer map.

any suggestions ,what seems to be needed?

CA maps?

i've been out of the Q4 scene because of work and i have no idea what's needed.

please give me a hint

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-13-2006 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

large map files are probably hated but i have
downloaded several new tex's.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 08-13-2006 08:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a ctf map :icon30:

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-13-2006 11:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A big q3w map... the forum homepage would be the floor texture. Then you can buldge out/cave several details like the lines, the mini reply box etc. And add 3d letters for the forum names, like a maze. Is there a way to automake nice letters in radiant with a script?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-13-2006 11:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A safari map with lots of rhinos and a trading post :)

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-14-2006 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
A big q3w map... the forum homepage would be the floor texture. Then you can buldge out/cave several details like the lines, the mini reply box etc. And add 3d letters for the forum names, like a maze. Is there a way to automake nice letters in radiant with a script?

i find making textures for q4 way beyond my abilities ..sadly

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 08-14-2006 05:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pro-T4 from quake 3...they did DM6 so why not T4...

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 08-14-2006 05:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

axbaby make some ra4 maps!! they in need of maps. http://ra4.raplanet.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=8

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-14-2006 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

alright ..cool i'll make a ca ,ra4 map.
i'll post again when i;ve gotten something to test.

i like roomy don't bump your head rocket jump till you puke maps

Last edited by axbaby on 08-14-2006 01:08 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-14-2006 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dagnabbit. I was going to say:

Make something that can be used for any mod... and feels good with the 1.3 movement speed. Some of the smaller community maps (Phrantic) feel a bit small, now.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-14-2006 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would be glad to see either of the q3wca maps remade.Those were great maps for ca in q3 :icon14: and i think they would be alot of fun with q4's newfound speed with the 1.3 release.I had many hours of fun on those maps in q3 ,thanks axbaby.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 08-17-2006 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we are rooting for u axbaby over at http://ra4.raplanet.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=537

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-17-2006 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

woot! :)

i may have troubles getting the mod to work but i will figure it out.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 08-17-2006 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you can test the map in q4max 0.76 or GT-R 0.17A mods with CA mode. drop the map in the baseq4.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-17-2006 01:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

alrighty .. i need to finish making it then i'll get it working with mods.

it's going fairly well , i like what i see and it looks like it could be a lot of fun.
it's going to take some time to complete but
it's going to get done this week or next.

q4wca2 - a few real real early screenshots

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image. ... 1cac6b.jpg
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image. ... 21c94e.jpg

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-18-2006 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those pics look great, it seems you are making bigger maps/ perspective? If so KUDOS! They are needed with the 1.3 release. I hate the cramped q4 maps.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-18-2006 01:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it's a ca map, that gametype dosen't work very well with cramped maps.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-18-2006 02:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BIG MAP!

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-22-2006 02:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a few more screenies .. lighting q4 maps is a bitch :(
it's a big map .. i'm 1/3 done in size .. lot's of room "maybe too much"
watching out for fps issues but my comp is old so i think you'll all have no troubles with FPS.
i hope you'll have fun and play the map when done.

my graphics card has issues with q4 hence the red sparklies.
um .. bedtime .. i'm going full blast 12 hours a day on this till it's done to my satisfaction.

i don't have nor use irc but i'll keep you guys informed when i have a beta

:(

my time is running out before my big adventure

SCREAMIES

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 08-22-2006 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ahhh damn it looks damn nice. keep up the good work axbaby.

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 08-22-2006 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

use lunaran's new textures

piecemaker
piecemaker
PostPosted: 08-22-2006 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Definately coming along great axbaby!

Looks like I'll need to update Q4 and play some online when this done.

You take it easy on yourself axbaby. Headaches and dizzyness = no good. ;)

Good to see you mapping!

*waves* I'm off to work.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-25-2006 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i had a complete computer meldown and now i'm out $700 ,but i got a new spiffy computer now.

anyway , i can get back to the map now.

i pretty confident you boys will love it.
chow

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-26-2006 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice artefacting on these screenshots, no wonder your machine fried :p
Watch that lighting and floor textures.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-30-2006 05:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

almost done ..here's a few screenies :)

can anyone recomend a site that can host my maps or is anyone here able to host for me.

hello PieceMaker :)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-30-2006 06:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Once it's in a PK4 just throw it up at quake4world.com

There's an upload form for each folder.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-30-2006 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks a million Foo .. you da man !

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 08-30-2006 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Map is looking good can't wait to try it.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-30-2006 10:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks axbaby! Nice map

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-31-2006 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i could not upload to that server Foo ,timeouts.

in a few minutes i'll have a beta test ..this is a baseq4,q4max lit CA DM map for many players and more when i'm done .
a few peices i still have to stich together so don't be surprised when you run into a wall or have jumpads that go nowhere :)

i need your input as soon as you can because i'm leaving out of country for 6 months in 6 days with no quake4 computer :(

thanks for trying the map .

download link soon

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-31-2006 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-31-2006 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For starters: Not enough people are mapping for Q4 right, now, and I DO appreciate what you're up to, here... But right off the top of my head:

Some rooms have interesting architecture and look pretty badassed.... Some, like the "randomly enormous ramps to the outside area where there's nothing"... don't look so good.

Texture "fit" tool.. Kinda important. When you have an area with a size that doesn't fit the texture exactly... makes things look better than if you have 1.3 metal plates squeezed in between two metal plates.

What's with that huge black corner at the end of the World's Longest Corridor?

Some weapons get spawn spots.. others don't. One of the ones that doesn't, is the rail gun.. Which could totally whore much of this map. You need some more pillars (crates? cables? pipes? Swirling vortexes of energy? anything) to break up some of the Vast Clear Spaces on this map.. There's nowhere to dodge hitscan weapons, and the rail gunners will pwn without effort.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 08-31-2006 11:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried it and I like it. Nice clan arena map. It is able to play 4v4 - 5v5 matches.

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-31-2006 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for the comments i need more of them so i can finish

GODLIKE wrote
Some rooms have interesting architecture and look pretty badassed.... Some, like the "randomly enormous ramps to the outside area where there's nothing"... don't look so good
that part isn't finished yet

Texture "fit" tool.. Kinda important. When you have an area with a size that doesn't fit the texture exactly... makes things look better than if you have 1.3 metal plates squeezed in between two metal plates.
texturing is one tough mofo

What's with that huge black corner at the end of the World's Longest Corridor?
the reame.txt explains that,that part not added yet.

Some weapons get spawn spots.. others don't. One of the ones that doesn't, is the rail gun.. Which could totally whore much of this map. You need some more pillars (crates? cables? pipes? Swirling vortexes of energy? anything) to break up some of the Vast Clear Spaces on this map.. There's nowhere to dodge hitscan weapons, and the rail gunners will pwn without effort.[/quote]
noted

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 08-31-2006 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just to give u an idea for a ra room u can make the main room in the ca map into a ra room. its a perfect ra room for 2v2 with just two lvls and two jump pads.

this map runs so smooth on my pc good job.

the dead end hallways should be connected or add teleports to the main room or other rooms.

I trust you to make it good axbaby Thanks so much for making it.

:icon14: :icon14: :icon14:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.