Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake 4 1.4 new weapon. AGAIN.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 

If ID/Raven decided to add ANOTHER new weapon, what should it be?
Chaingun.  20%  [ 6 ]
Super Shotgun.  20%  [ 6 ]
Q4 blaster as an alternative to the gauntlet or an MG replacement  13%  [ 4 ]
Hand grenades.  46%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 30
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 4 1.4 new weapon. AGAIN.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-10-2006 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Syke. Take the poll, though, you jerks. >: ]

WEEEEEEE.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

None

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 02:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would say SSG or CG as long as they were like the Q2 weapons, and not like Q3:TA's faster MG...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 02:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q2's CG would suck. I thought it was ok for SP but it was way too overpowered for MP :(

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 04:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

None we have enough weapons already.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

where did you get that information ? (edit: oh missed the if in that question)
that would totaly suck imho, as the napalm gun isnt even very balanced, we dont need yet another new unbalanced weapon.
besides most players already had problems getting the napalm gun in their controls set.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TTK-Bandit wrote:
where did you get that information ? (edit: oh missed the if in that question)
that would totaly suck imho, as the napalm gun isnt even very balanced, we dont need yet another new unbalanced weapon.
besides most players already had problems getting the napalm gun in their controls set.

I agree 100% syncerror if you read this plz no mas!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why r u mod in this forum yet continually bash the game?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 02:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
because.

:olo: :

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fork weapon :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 05:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Q2's CG would suck. I thought it was ok for SP but it was way too overpowered for MP :(

Nuh uh. You'd be lucky to get 5 kills with that thing. It's a bit difficult to use considering the drag and that it chews up so much ammo, so it'd fit in well, I think. But I guess that would only be the case if they didn't make ammo get refilled every time you step over a weapon. In Quake 2 you actually had a sense of conserving ammunition, even if you were playing DM. In Q3 and Q4 I don't give ammo a second thought. I mean, It's not a terrible thing, but it'd be nice if ammo boxes were worth something.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

prince1000 wrote:
why r u mod in this forum yet continually bash the game?

You are perfectly right...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
I didn't see the vote for "dead game, stick a fork in it"

Exemplary..? pfff

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 10-11-2006 11:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I went with hand grenades. It's a staple in Q2 & it would be only right to add it to Q4.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-12-2006 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
MKJ wrote:

Nuh uh. You'd be lucky to get 5 kills with that thing. It's a bit difficult to use considering the drag and that it chews up so much ammo, so it'd fit in well, I think. But I guess that would only be the case if they didn't make ammo get refilled every time you step over a weapon. In Quake 2 you actually had a sense of conserving ammunition, even if you were playing DM. In Q3 and Q4 I don't give ammo a second thought. I mean, It's not a terrible thing, but it'd be nice if ammo boxes were worth something.

Agreed. I loved the feeling of actually looking down and checking ammo counts, etc. trying to conserve some ammo. Never had that feeling in q3, you just always feel stocked.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-12-2006 09:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't see any new weapons coming to base gameplay, but I'll play along. =)

I think a chaingun would both be too similiar to the Nailgun and ensure the death of that weapon as its basically just a "slow chaingun". I know the Q2 CG but was hitscan and had no splash, but you would fundamentally use them in the same manner, except that the CG would be more versitile.

A supershotgun we have. The base shotgun has always been powerful, most say too powerful, in Q4 and it would be rather unbalancing to add a supershotgun (unless you weakened the existing shotgun like we did in Delta CTF).

The blaster is obviously already there and could easily be added into mutliplayer, however, I think it lost out to the gauntlet for a good reason. The Q2 blaster was completely useless. It was fun at times getting a blaster kill, but I do think the balance of the gauntlet (that being that it is useful but only at point blank range) is a good one and the blaster doesn't serve any decent purpose in multiplayer. Even in Delta CTF where you have a mod that is reproducing a CTF gameplay from Q1 and Q2, while we considered the blaster once you get over the novelty of it being the way it used to be, there's really nothing enjoyable about having it.

Hand grenades. Of the items in the poll, hand grenades would actually be the one that I would be most interested in. They at least provide a new element of gameplay as you have a lot of control over how they detonate and how far you throw them, where as most weapons are fairly static in how they deliver their projectile.

Anyhow, I'd put in an entirely new weapon that had both effectiveness and versitility to it, making it both something you can fight with and a nice untility to expand movement abilities. I have a few in mind but are saving them for a different game as I think Q4's arsenal is probably as big as it can get atm. =)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-12-2006 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i would take the ability to sync refresh at higher framerates over another weapon, personally.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-12-2006 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why cant the whole game be played like you have haste,that would be an improvment!
there are plenty of weapons imo

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-12-2006 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The game is fast enough as it is, actually. You can do the railgun - rl bridge jump (dm6) or the yellow armor - flag jump (wcp14) easily.

Q4 is getting closer to being perfect right now. All that I feel it needs is some fixes of minor bugs.

I also wish that the rl explosion wouldn't destroy my FPS. The other day I realised that my comp could handle 10 players on screen fine, it was just that the explosions would just obliterate my FPS. There should be options to have q2ish (animated 'shrooms) or q3ish (image sequence) explosions with dynamic lighting. : ]

SyncError wrote:
The blaster is obviously already there and could easily be added into mutliplayer, however, I think it lost out to the gauntlet for a good reason. The Q2 blaster was completely useless. It was fun at times getting a blaster kill, but I do think the balance of the gauntlet (that being that it is useful but only at point blank range) is a good one and the blaster doesn't serve any decent purpose in multiplayer. Even in Delta CTF where you have a mod that is reproducing a CTF gameplay from Q1 and Q2, while we considered the blaster once you get over the novelty of it being the way it used to be, there's really nothing enjoyable about having it.

True. The Q2 blaster was almost useless, though if you hit about 7 shots you'd get a kill. I pictured a MP blaster in Q4 to be a chargable weapon like the single player. Uncharged would be a pretty high speed projectile, while the more charged it was the slower the projectile would be. Maximum damage a charged shot could do would be about 50 at most, so that it wasn't a broken weapon.

It'd be a pretty sweet alternative to the Q4 gauntlet, since the gauntlet isn't really as practical is it was in Q3. In pubs and even PUs I'd get about 12 gauntlet kills per CTF round, but in Q4 I'd get about 4 max. Can't place my finger on what it is exactly but maybe it has something to do with knowing whether you hit someone or not. Whenever you got a hit in Q3 the gaunt would move foreward on your screen, while in Q4 it's extended as long as you're holding down your attack button. And in Q3 the general hitsound and the gauntlet's specific hitsound were both very different, while Q4 they are both very similar, which is bad, considering that the gauntlet's specific hitsound plays sometimes even without a real hit. So I never know if I should be lunging in for a quick kill, or keeping my distance with another weapon.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so. : [

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-12-2006 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I miss the Quake 1 lightning gun, where you could shoot under water and it would zap people within a radius.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-13-2006 03:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ganemi, try bse_scale 0.1

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-14-2006 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iluvquake4 wrote:
I miss the Quake 1 lightning gun, where you could shoot under water and it would zap people within a radius.

In Delta CTF you CAN discharge in water. =)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-14-2006 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds gross. >_>

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-14-2006 10:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would need a new computer to enjoy q4 with any decency, but in all accounts and opinions q4 is NOT worth upgrading for.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 10-14-2006 10:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
I would need a new computer to enjoy q4 with any decency, but in all accounts and opinions q4 is NOT worth upgrading for.

Keep in mind thats mostly the opinions of A) people with shite hardware B) typical whiny inter-nerds or C) people who expected it to be a carbon copy of Q3 with shinier graphics. IMO its a great game (when I can actually find the time to play it).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-14-2006 10:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah. Q4 really is great. Yesterday I got demolished in some 1 vs 1 game on an rg-less map, but it was a lot of fun, which is more than I can say for Q3 1 vs 1s.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 10-14-2006 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phrantic yea that map is really good. I have played q1 q2 and q3 and I never got into 1v1 till q4 it sure is a fun version to play 1v1.

I suck at it so I suck not q4. I am gonna be like others to say q4 sucks cuz they can't play the game.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-15-2006 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If anything I would like to see some slight weapon rebalancing in Quake 4. The rl's rocket speed is far far to slow, (snail rockets). I would also like to see the rg's power toned down and longer recharge rate. Not sure if any of you have noticed this....

Moving on, I do like quake 4, and enjoy playing it. But it seems that nobody else really does. I hear it being used at LAN parties, comps and stuff but you get online and I struggle to find anybody online playing the fecking thing. Quake 3 on the other hand is full of people. Is everyone holding out for ET or is there something some of us have missed?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-15-2006 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If there was any weapon to be replaced with the blaster, that would be the machinegun - this combined with the actual maps makes Q4 TDM a total joke of a cessfest.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-15-2006 11:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hemostick wrote:
If there was any weapon to be replaced with the blaster, that would be the machinegun - this combined with the actual maps makes Q4 TDM a total joke of a cessfest.

Fucking right. The machine gun is the most annoying gun ever to spawn with. I mean, a player is supposed to have a fighting chance, but at the same time, he shouldn't be able to just harrass everone to death. Having a pistol with a charge function instead would be more effective as a first weapon, as you would have a bit of difficulty getting a kill, but a fighting chance anyway. You wouldn't just spawn with a toned down LG. : \ I also think that the machine gun should be a slightly more powerful weapon that you actually pick up, like in Quake 2. That seemed to work out better.

hardwired2001 wrote:
If anything I would like to see some slight weapon rebalancing in Quake 4. The rl's rocket speed is far far to slow, (snail rockets). I would also like to see the rg's power toned down and longer recharge rate. Not sure if any of you have noticed this....

Moving on, I do like quake 4, and enjoy playing it. But it seems that nobody else really does. I hear it being used at LAN parties, comps and stuff but you get online and I struggle to find anybody online playing the fecking thing. Quake 3 on the other hand is full of people. Is everyone holding out for ET or is there something some of us have missed?

RG has been toned down in a sense. In Q2 you could get an instant kill by shooting someone right off the spawn point. With + 25 health you have 25 seconds to pick up armor shards and extra shit so that one hit doesn't kill you.

And about servers and people playing, there's alot more people playing Quake 4 then anyone, including myself, thought. If you scan for servers maybe 5 or 6 with players will show up, but if you scan again you might get 20 servers with half of them packed. For some reason some servers just don't show up when scanned for even after a number of tries.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-16-2006 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
I also think that the machine gun should be a slightly more powerful weapon that you actually pick up, like in Quake 2. That seemed to work out better.

I guess having the choice between picking that or the chaingun is a key aspect in it working better. The same thing kinda happens with the shotgun/ssg where essentially, machinegun and shotgun seem to be used only as last resort weapons in the Q2 games i've watched.
You could also say the same thing of the nailgun/sng in QW. :)

Last edited by hemostick on 10-21-2006 01:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Dead by Dawn
Dead by Dawn
PostPosted: 10-20-2006 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mmm hand grenades

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-24-2006 05:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like nade

VOTE 1 NADES!!!!!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-25-2006 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SyncError wrote:
A supershotgun we have. The base shotgun has always been powerful, most say too powerful, in Q4 and it would be rather unbalancing to add a supershotgun (unless you weakened the existing shotgun like we did in Delta CTF).

Come to think of it, considering how ridiculous of a weapon an annoying machine gun is to start with, how about having everyone spawn with a significantly weaker shotgun, + the mg /gauntlet, while having the regular 100 damage shotgun maintain it's spawn points?

That seems to make sense.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-27-2006 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
Come to think of it, considering how ridiculous of a weapon an annoying machine gun is to start with, how about having everyone spawn with a significantly weaker shotgun, + the mg /gauntlet, while having the regular 100 damage shotgun maintain it's spawn points?

That seems to make sense.

That's essentially what we did in Delta CTF. We removed the machinegun entirely and the player starts with a weaker shotgun with a faster rate of fire (and a gauntlet), and then added a "supershotgun" which is a pickup item that deals more damage at the standard 1 sec rate of fire.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.