Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Hello plus a few Q's....

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Hello plus a few Q's....

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-05-2006 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi all,

Well once again i find myself playing quake lol... q4 just in fact only a week.

A little hist - Played q3 CTF for 5 years claned and a league cup player ( not a novice or elite but respectable). Had many friends within the community which felt like a family to which i'm having trouble finding again - but life moves on i guess. Also was the clan tecky, scripts , binds and configs etc so feel quiet happy with some gritty stuff.

now that my dear sister has bought Q4 for me ( bday gift - silly girl ) and a few new friends have seen me play q3 recently ( now got them hooked) i find myself back in the fold lol. However after of sorta getting my head round the new cvars and sorta got a stable 60 fps, but im finding the game dreadful!!!!

so therefore i have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to get q4 to run as smoothly as q3. It just seems wofully jittery and fragmented. I have a duo cpu with seta r_useSMP "1" enabled and /usepmtimer in my boot.ini but its still really bad. Any thoughts? prob just need a good mp config? didn't really like r_picmip 5 look but somewhere in between. A link or template config would be nice if possible? cheers for anyone that can help there.

2. Does anyone play q4 on line lol joke btw i think? I can see servers but they are always empty ( in game browser)? Also whats with the bad pings (public's)? is 100+ normal?

3. ASE doesn't show any q4 server or i'm just being a noob?

4. what's the score with the new mods? which one is the one to go for? loved osp etc.

Anyway nice to be back if any of you guys can point me in the right direction I would be very greatful.

ATB

Flash

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 11-05-2006 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nay0k wrote:
-Q4's 1.3 patch has a cvar to enable vertex light, r_Vertexlight 1

Q4's 1.3 lighting cvar is: r_forceAmbient, with a value ranging from 0 to 1.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-05-2006 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Q4 runs nice and smooth here, and with the local euro servers i have np's finding a game.

Skq4 is my browser of choice (Mirc plugin) and does an admirable job of sources available servers.

I've heard of people with issues regarding r_useSMP 1 and the lagometer - the advice is to make sure the lagometer is off when using smp

As for mods, q4max shoudl be all you need (it includes many gametypes CA/CTFS/FT as well as code and visual tweaks (all of which give most people a smoother quake) - just be sure to start it form its own shortcut (rather than via q4base)

For cfg's the advice is to not use an autoexec, instead trust the quake4config. theres very little that is worth tweaking outside of the options available in the q4max gui

Whilst its true that q4 was not the huge hit people were hoping for, I think its proberbly a bit harsh to call it dead. The community is indeed small, but still kicking :icon32:

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 11-05-2006 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here in the US there is a decent size CTF community out there. I can always find a game.

ASE however really doesnt pick up Q4 server at all, I use:

http://www.qxmon.net/q4mon-browser.pl

...and have found it to be really good at finding active servers

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-06-2006 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok guys thx for your input - most welcome and useful cheers. :icon25:

I will try a dif browser and D/L max and take a look.

Flash

edit: just noticed links nice one :icon31:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-09-2006 07:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

about the SMP, when you have SMP + the lagometer enabled it will stutter like crazy :icon33:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-12-2006 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well cheers guys Q4max certainly looks more like it - got a solid 63fps at 1400 x 900.

Just another question if I may?

Whats with the strafing !!! It seams much easier in Q4 ??? I've always been a fan of defrag and spent many an afternoon with m8s on servers but i'm hoping around a few maps like a whirl wind? I like the ramp double bounce or what looks like one, saves your old thumb a bit.

anyway once again cheers to those that replied - nice one - me very happy

just have to learn the maps now lol :icon27:

Flash

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.