Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake 4 takes FOREVER to load...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 4 takes FOREVER to load...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-01-2006 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really don't understand this... Quake 4 and Prey take literally 5+ minutes to load up, yet Half-Life 2 and other games only take under a minute. wtf?

My main question is - to actually LOAD a game, doesn't that just depend on CPU speed?? Maybe I'm wrong... I know I have a sh*tty graphics card, but I thought actually loading up a game had nothing to do with GPU power...plus it shouldn't be THAT bad considering I've OC'd the hell outta the GPU (it's completely stable). If it's not the GPU, how fast of a damn CPU do I need? :confused: I was pretty sure my setup is fast enough. Here are my specs:

P4 Running @ 3.1Ghz
1 GB DDR RAM
GeForce 7300GS PCI Express w/512MB RAM
(OverClocked to 600Mhz Core, and 1Ghz Memory)
Direct X 9.0c
Latest Nvidia Forceware Driver - 93.71

There's a computer fair here tomorrow, and I'm definitely getting a new graphics card (either the GeForce 8800GTS, the 8800 GTX, or one of the higher end 7950 cards.

So, what systems are you guys running these games on? And when I get the (MUCH) better graphics card, will that cut down on Load times, or do I need to actually upgrade CPU. And isn't 1 GB of RAM enough???? :angry:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-01-2006 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

check the I/O for problems (disk). Are all the games on the same hard drive? Then check the defrag status of those big pk4s.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-01-2006 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I forgot to post HD specs.

I have a 160GB Seagate SATA HD... It's partitioned 3 times, and all my games are on a 40GB partition.

The disk is fine, everything runs perfectly on it, so it can't be that. And HL2 is on the same partition as Quake4, and it runs great...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-01-2006 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Edit: posted twice in error.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-01-2006 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmmm perhaps this is related to your av app ?

this issue cropped up recently with someone else, and was related to the anti-virus proggy scanning the pk4's as they were accessed

(thread over on q4max forums here)

I never realised before, but it appears that theres already documented issues with the eTrust EZ Anti Virus - theres more info at the link above

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-01-2006 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

kleeks wrote:
hmmm perhaps this is related to your av app ?

this issue cropped up recently with someone else, and was related to the anti-virus proggy scanning the pk4's as they were accessed

(thread over on q4max forums here)

I never realised before, but it appears that theres already documented issues with the eTrust EZ Anti Virus - theres more info at the link above

Dude, all I can say is, you're the fkn man! :icon14: I NEVER suspected my Real Time AV scan to be causing the problem! I do have eTrust EZ AV, and the selective exclusion setting actually didn't work, but then I tried the "snooze" option, and that did the trick -- the load time from my saved games went from like literally 5 minutes to about 30 seconds. And the load time when I first start the game drastically improved as well.

Thanks again man! :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-03-2006 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What the hell is Real Time AV? I don't have that, yet it still takes Quake 4 forever to load.

Often times it'll stop at Initializing Menu or whatever, and never load. I have to alt+enter, then alt+enter again to get the screen to go to the menu. I hate that. A lot.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-04-2006 05:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"realtime AV" == a term for the anti-virus scanner function where they scan files for viruses as they're used, rather than a scan every x Days or whatever.

This causes problems with the .pk4 files with some virus scanners (especially the CA "eTrust Anti-Virus" software) as they are so big, and are zip files which contain other files.

Are you saying that you do not have a virus scanner?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-07-2006 10:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I do. It just doesn't scan stuff as they're used, I think. *shrugs*

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-08-2006 02:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which anti-virus program do you have? Almost all do realtime scanning...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-09-2006 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Symantic. : [

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-09-2006 03:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Symantic? ie Norton? Yea, that does a ton of stuff all the time... practically doubled the speed of my mums PC when I uninstalled it ;)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.