Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake 4 + relief mapping.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 4 + relief mapping.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-04-2006 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://fabio.policarpo.nom.br/relief/index.htm

Normal

Relief

Normal
Relief

It's a very pretty mod, and it's worth checking out. It's really what Q4's ultra setting should be, except with a notable difference. : ]

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-05-2006 06:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

against what FPS hit ?

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 12-05-2006 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats a sweet improvement for the single player. damn nice work looks like the UT2007

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-05-2006 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My 7900 GT gets cut from 60 to 30-40 in some places, but much of the time it remains at 50-60. I really can't tell when it drops to 30, though, since it's really stable, and not lagging like the way my card does when on Ultra.

Q4 could look so much better than it does now. Imho the bump maps look far too small in so many places and it is just displeasing to see. It would be pretty cool if someone could increase the bump maps' size then displace it or something like that.

But maybe it's not that simple? In any case, there's a huge chance for improvement right here.

Last edited by Ganemi on 12-05-2006 08:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-05-2006 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also known as parallax occlusion mapping. It's similar to normal mapping but adds some occlusion as well, which improves the illusion of depth. It's the same effect as the bullet holes in FEAR. Performance should be pretty good on modern hardware.

Limitations is that there will be some texture streaking as the diffuse layer is extruded, as you can see in the first example set.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-05-2006 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still has the potential to look far better than bump mapping, and apparently it's not that hard to do given the proper tools. I used some tools off of that website and batch displaced a bunch of textures/bump maps from Q4.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.