Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake 4 Community Map Pak Contest

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 4 Community Map Pak Contest

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-20-2006 10:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

id Software is pleased to announce that we are holding a Quake 4 mapping contest! Quake community mappers have shown amazing talent and innovation and we would like to recognize those talents and challenge them to show us what they can do.

Community Map Pak Contest

Prizes:

* Winning participants will have their map included in an official community map pak released by id.

Basic Rules:

* Maps must be submitted by their author and be of their own design.
* Maps may not use custom textures or models.

How are the maps being judged?

* Maps will be judged on their playability, performance, atmosphere, originality, technical quality, gametype flexibility and file size efficiency.

How many maps will be included?

* 8-12 maps will be selected, spanning multiple gametypes.

What gametypes does the Q4CMP seek to include?

* We are accepting submissions that include support for any of the following gametypes: 1v1, Team Deathmatch, CTF, Arena CTF and DeadZone.

I understand custom textures cannot be used, but what about custom materials and fx files?

* You may include custom script files such as fx and material files, but you may not include or reference custom textures, models or sound files.

How many entries am I allowed to submit?

* Submit as many as you like! We are accepting both existing community maps that have already been released as well as new creations.

What format should I submit the map?

* We prefer that maps be properly packaged with their .map, .proc, .cm, .def and loadscreen screenshot files, however can accept just the .map. The maps will be repackaged for both the voting process and final Community Pak.

Who will be judging the submissions?

* You! As the deadline draws near be on the lookout for an offiicial polling station near you.

Where do you send the maps?

* Map submissions should be emailed to: syncerror@idsoftware.com

Deadlines:

* The deadline for entries is January 31st.

===============

Stayed tuned to id Software for further information, rules and regulations on the Community Map Pak Project.

Last edited by SyncError on 01-05-2007 11:08 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-20-2006 11:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sah-weeet!

hopefully we'll see some quality CTF maps in the mix :drool:

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 12-21-2006 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think i will make my last stab at a quake4 map.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-21-2006 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice! Good idea.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-22-2006 05:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally, i get to see something that doent involve me assassinating someone.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-28-2006 02:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If the community develops multiplayer bots, could be they be included in a PR? :icon31:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-28-2006 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iluvquake4 wrote:
If the community develops multiplayer bots, could be they be included in a PR? :icon31:

thats actually a good suggestion

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-29-2006 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, I think if somebody did make bots that didn't suck (and weren't a pain to run from a user perspective), they'd probably get included in a PR or mod patch.. Rumour has it, there are bots-in-beta hiding in Q4Max somewhere.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-29-2006 01:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GODLIKE wrote:
(and weren't a pain to run from a user perspective),

:dork:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 12-29-2006 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know.. cos "sabot" was hard for some, with the AAS files, etc..

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 12-29-2006 01:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Isn't q4max going to have bots in an upcoming release?

Oh and I finally bought this game rofl now that I can play it half-decently on my lappy. It had all the old stickers slapped on top of each other, marked down from 59, 49, 39, 29, and finally 14.99 :icon32:

Bring on the bots I say, mebbe I can have some good fun with this

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-29-2006 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I gave some details on how to add bots in this thread. Note however that its far off complete, and doesnt meet the "easy to use" criteria yet, and certainly not "half decent", as there are some key parts of the AI still to be written which means they seem pretty dumb.

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 12-29-2006 02:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GOODNESS

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Updated with the answers to some of the more common questions.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 12:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there any chance for deadline extensions depending on number of entires received etc?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Is there any chance for deadline extensions depending on number of entires received etc?

Probably not. Once the deadline hits the submissions will be packaged into a single pak for the community to download, play the maps and vote on the submissions. There is also an organization holding a tournament with the CMP submission pak to help play test the maps... so extending the deadline could cause complications.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What exactly is meant by filesize efficiency?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 02:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Survivor wrote:
What exactly is meant by filesize efficiency?

Lets say we are going to accept 6 1v1 maps into the pak. The first 5 maps are clearly decided but there are two maps in the running for the 6th spot. Both are beautiful maps, both have received nearly equal amount of votes from the community polls, but one weighs in at 3mb and the other weighs in at 13mb -- we are going to go with the 3mb map so that the map pak is not unnecessarily large in file size.

Its bang for your buck. But it will not be a high priority, just more of a low priority guideline that we wanted to make clear if it comes down to that.

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, there was some unclarity about that :)

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 04:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eh, who plays with 56k-dialup connections these days anyway.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 06:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Eh, who plays with 56k-dialup connections these days anyway.

If we have 12 maps that are 3mb each, that adds 36mb to our patch. If each map is 10-15mb that adds 150mb to our patch. That is a huge difference and matters. But as I said, judging a map on its filesize is more of a last resort than a primary concern.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 06:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

150mb patch, UT style. rofl

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
150mb patch, UT style. rofl

150mb + the rest of the patch...

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 08:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh. I was under the impression that the mappack would be a seperate release, from the patch. =p

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Games and programs are getting much larger, so why get upset when patch sizes increase as well. These days 150 mb isn't really that much considering most people are on broadband now. I would dl it for the maps and etc.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 08:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just to irritate you.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've noticed. :olo:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-05-2007 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
why does quake 4 continually strive to be the beacon of bad decision?

What bad decision? As mentioned multiple times above, filesize would only possibly come into an account in tie breaker situations where maps competing for the last few spots in the pak may rate equal in all the other categories.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-07-2007 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can see new details on http://www.idsoftware.com/

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-07-2007 01:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
Just to irritate you.

;D

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-07-2007 11:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

/ignore piddla

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.