Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Someone can explain this...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Someone can explain this...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-24-2007 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okays, I've both Quake 3 Arena and Quake 4 on my rigs, Every working and Im a happy man but...

I play on a Quake 4 server , Spiritmaster Clanserver Ip 71.123.77.96;28804 and D/L a mod Fragfestmod...

Okay I play but after 15 min I quit the server and Quake 4...

And start a play to Quake 3 , my rig doesn't found the Quake 3.exe, surprised I look in the folder and all Quake 3 executable are gone !!!

And suddendly my internet connexion are very slow...

Someone can explain me please ???

I don't appreciate it...

Thanks...

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 04:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you scanned for spyware and/or viruses lately? Now seems like a good time to do so.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-25-2007 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply , and sorry for my "angry post" I didn't want to accuse somebody only I was really surprise that my Quake 3 was suddenly disapears after a Quake 4 multiplayer session.

Yep , I scan my rigs every week and last night and he didn't found any virus or other scam...

My rigs seem to be good and uninfected, but i will continue to make a look on this...

Thanks again

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 01-26-2007 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you using q3a 1.32c? (Note the c!)

If so, could it be that it happened before, maybe when you were playing q3a for the last time?

There's an exploit for q3a 1.32 spreading that allows a server to execute arbitrary code on the client with the rights of the user that runs q3a.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-12-2007 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can assure you that my servers do not affect your q3 installs of quake. q3 is isntalled in another folder-not even the 'id Software' folder that quake 4 is installed in. Quake 3 has a folder separate than the id Software folder.
My servers are dedicated servers in Dallas. I think it woujld be difficult for people to go through my server to attack your computer. However, anything is possible. There are no executables in the mod, just def files. I am sorry that you had a bad experience on my servers and with my mod.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-12-2007 04:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrpsychology wrote:
I can assure you that my servers do not affect your q3 installs of quake. q3 is isntalled in another folder-not even the 'id Software' folder that quake 4 is installed in. Quake 3 has a folder separate than the id Software folder.
My servers are dedicated servers in Dallas. I think it woujld be difficult for people to go through my server to attack your computer. However, anything is possible. There are no executables in the mod, just def files. I am sorry that you had a bad experience on my servers and with my mod.

No problem Mr.Psychology , and sorry I didn't want to point you or your servers...I was just really surprised that my Q3.exe was suddenly gone after a Quake 4 sessions and I tried to understand this weird situation...

But after a week of scanning with many tools, everything appear to be find and my rigs work smoothly, I uninstall manually Q3 and reinstall and everything seem to be find...

Sorry again and continue your good work !

Ciao
:)

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-12-2007 04:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It could be the 1.32 exploit, who knows though eh

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-12-2007 04:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, its no problem. I just wanted to assure you that my mod didn't contain any exe files or dlls, its just a def file mod :) I understand that in the game world that malicious or bad trojans and the like are often embedded in games, so I am not offended that you thought of the game as a possible association. mrp

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-13-2007 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
It could be the 1.32 exploit, who knows though eh

Maybe, it was happened with the version 1.32c

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.