Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Quake 4 1.4 Beta Released

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 4 1.4 Beta Released

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 4 1.4 Beta - 230MB

- Q4 1.4 Beta Torrent

- Q4 1.4 Beta @ Jolt
- Q4 1.4 Beta @ FileShack
- Q4 1.4 Beta @ Levitation
- Q4 1.4 Beta @ id Software
- Q4 1.4 Beta @ sn-q4pickup
- Q4 1.4 Beta @ PlanetQuake4
- Q4 1.4 Beta @ AmpedeSports
- Q4 1.4 Beta @ EscapedTurkey

- Q4 TV ReadME
- Q4 1.4 Changelog

Quote:
The Quake 4 1.4 Beta patch is now available for download. This update includes a host of features such as: refined hitboxes, optimized sound and network code, configurable fps caps, weapon balancing, server direct autodownloading, and addonpak fixes, to name only a few. We are especially excited to introduce our new spectator support to Quake 4 - Q4TV. The majority of our additions have been included thanks to direct community feedback. Your continued feedback on this beta will be greatly appreciated.

We hope everyone enjoys the new content, features and fixes! For a more complete list of changes, please see the README.

The 1.4 beta update affects pure server and protocol consistency. Therefore, players who update to 1.4 beta from ANY previous version will only be able to connect and play against other 1.4 beta users. Save games and demos created on any previous version of the game will not be compatible with the 1.4 beta update.

Feature Overview:

- Q4TV - Spectator Television
- Improved Hitboxes
- Serverside Adjustable Tick Rate
- Improved Sound
- Improved Netcode
- Builtin HTTP Server
- Railgun Balancing
- Consistant Shotgun Spread
- Improved Napalm Splash
- More Accessible Options

* More detailed information on the above features can be found at id software.

Source: id software

Last edited by Bugsy on 02-08-2007 12:14 PM, edited 9 times in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 04:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

C'mon ridd give this one a chance. 125FPS Tickrate, non-BS hitboxes, sound overhaul, netcode overhaul...

Can't say they're not trying to un-fuck things. Gonna give this a go tomorrow when I get back in from work.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 04:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good!

Quake Addict
Quake Addict
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there gonna be a final release of the 1.4 ???

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 05:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No it's staying in beta forever!

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 05:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to see what esr folks think of this, and if it's worth reinstalling.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 05:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On second thought I think I'll just wait until the final patch is released. Hopefully that won't take too long? :paranoid: I don't think anyone can say that this patch doesn't sound impressive though. :)

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 05:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why doesn't q4 use per-pixel hit detection anyway? Is it because of mp performance issues?

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 05:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Does built-in http game server downloads go at a fast rate like the previous outside server method did? If I reinstall, and notice that I don't get kicked every 3rd server connect for bs pak file mishaps, then I will be very happy. :)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Does built-in http game server downloads go at a fast rate like the previous outside server method did? If I reinstall, and notice that I don't get kicked every 3rd server connect for bs pak file mishaps, then I will be very happy. :)

Yes, the built-in http server goes at the same fast rate as the external http server method, and there are bandwidth control variables included as well so that you can limit the transfer rates if needed.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 07:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice work you're doing there at id software. Never seen a company taking care for the community like this. And it is even for a more-than-a-year-old game. Kudos! Was really a great idea to install an "interface" between the gamers and the developers.

But I wonder why you lowered the railgun damage. Always thought that it was like a taboo over there at id to deal with the rail dmg. It even surprised me more, because IMO the new hitboxes will make the problems disappear, but only time can tell.
I must admit, that the community welcomes this step, which I never supposed. Thought you'll get much more whining :) It's really something unusual atm, since the rail made 100 dmg for almost a decade now :D

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 07:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure if 90 rail damage is actually worth the change. Ammo sounds good though.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 08:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

maz0r wrote:
Nice work you're doing there at id software. Never seen a company taking care for the community like this. And it is even for a more-than-a-year-old game. Kudos! Was really a great idea to install an "interface" between the gamers and the developers.

But I wonder why you lowered the railgun damage. Always thought that it was like a taboo over there at id to deal with the rail dmg. It even surprised me more, because IMO the new hitboxes will make the problems disappear, but only time can tell.
I must admit, that the community welcomes this step, which I never supposed. Thought you'll get much more whining :) It's really something unusual atm, since the rail made 100 dmg for almost a decade now :D

I guess it was lowered because a ton of people at esreality whined about it so much. I dunno how I feel about it, I haven't really played much 1v1 in q4. But in ffa I can pretty much spend the entire game whoring rail and getting tons of kills

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 02-07-2007 09:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's the same as q3. The railgun is bullshit, and doesn't have a place in the broadband era. The fact that somebody can own the map, and lose it all with a few rail shots is garbage. The armor system doesn't help much either.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 12:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This proves that id Software still loves us. :lub:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 03:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

id or raven?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 03:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iluvquake4 wrote:
This proves that id Software still loves us. :lub:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 04:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10 to 1 that the 125 rate is a cosmetic placebo

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 04:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and why the fuck did they change the rail dmg?
im not trying to be the run of the mill change-gripe cook here, but who asked for a change in the railgun's dmg?
wasnt spawnraping already countered with the 125 hp rule?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

When we release q4max, feel free to make an avi using aviNetDemo and count the unique frames yourself. :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 05:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
On second thought I think I'll just wait until the final patch is released.

Its up to you, but if you play the beta, find some issues and report them, then they might get fixed for the final release (ie, quickly).

If you wait for the final release, install it, and say "urgh, I dont like X", theres no way its gunna get fixed quickly.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've played it a bit last night on some high ping servers and I think it feels really nice. The 125fps servers feel as smooth as any Q3 server, with the added plus of all the great Q4 movement.

My only bad experiance has been on one server I'd lag just as I was joining the game, I'm guessing that was PB though. Other than that the game feels just like Q3 to me.....only better :]

I just hope that the wait for a compatible Q4max is not long, once its available I'm going to update my server and hopefully get to see how CTF feels :]

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
so the game is finally getting to the point of being release-ready about 14 months after it was released?

a grown man whining about a video game he doesnt even play on an internet forum.

lowell!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
On second thought I think I'll just wait until the final patch is released. Hopefully that won't take too long? :paranoid: I don't think anyone can say that this patch doesn't sound impressive though. :)

what does a gaggle of spastic 16 yo opinions have to do with what you think about whether this patch is good or not?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 09:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AnthonyJ wrote:
MKJ wrote:

When we release q4max, feel free to make an avi using aviNetDemo and count the unique frames yourself. :)

I love q4max! :D
gg!

the new rail is to push people to use others weapons...and stop camping!

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AnthonyJ wrote:
dzjepp wrote:
On second thought I think I'll just wait until the final patch is released.

Its up to you, but if you play the beta, find some issues and report them, then they might get fixed for the final release (ie, quickly).

If you wait for the final release, install it, and say "urgh, I dont like X", theres no way its gunna get fixed quickly.

This man speaks truth. This is what betas are for.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-08-2007 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I notice this new patch makes mouse more sensitive (due to the higher FPS?). Knocking down sensitivity from 13.5 to 11 helped a lot. Just an FYI. :icon31:

Primal screamer
Primal screamer
PostPosted: 02-11-2007 02:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, quake.

everyone knows that it's all about unreal now. move on.

xchaser
xchaser
PostPosted: 02-11-2007 06:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I cant spell u wrote:
lol, quake.

everyone knows that it's all about unreal now. move on.

Hahah your so funny but one thing your in the wrong forums /me points to unreal forums ------->

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.