Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Q4 Tourney - Sunshine - Beta 2 (crossposted from LE&M)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q4 Tourney - Sunshine - Beta 2 (crossposted from LE&M)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-10-2007 11:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Edit: Finally stopped playing Stalker long enough to get this updated. This is feeling pretty solid and is almost certainly the final beta, barring some major revelation.

Changes:

- new MH area (in last shot below)--MH and RA are about as far apart as they can get, and it feels pretty good now.

- new custom hurty fluid

-glass is more visible and grungy

-large chainlink floors have been replaced with a grate texture--not sure if this is the final texture...

-lots and lots of grunge decals, detailing, and bits of eye-candy here and there

-frame on the grate floor for rocket jumpers

-a bit more headroom on the doorway to the long jumppad

-countless other tweaks and bits of messing-with

Still to do: ambient sounds, triggered splashies on the fluid, bot-tweaking.

The custom textures are courtesy of Evil Lair, except for the sky, which is from the talented hand of Hipshot, and the fluid, which was made with the help of the talented Fred Hooper--thanks man!

The pk4 also includes a botfile for TinMan's Sabot (v. 10) (extract to Quake4\sabot\maps\mp)

Screenies:

Bonus editor shot, if anyone cares: http://pjw.planetquake.gamespy.com/scre ... editor.jpg

Downloads (map is ~13 meg):

Fileplanet

Mirror, for the Fileplanet impaired (courtesy of Scourge--thanks man!)

Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by pjw on 03-25-2007 06:31 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-11-2007 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really like the look of this map, the windows and shadows look superb imo - I've grabbed the file and will comeback with something worthwhile once she disappears enough for me to get the time to run around it

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-11-2007 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

kleeks wrote:
once she disappears enough for me to get the time to run around it
Heh. Thanks man. :)

Reminds me of this: http://pjw.planetquake.gamespy.com/grafix/begone.jpg

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hrhr - I'd spend less time sat here if she looked like that though :drool:

I've run around this map in one of its previous forms. I cannot remember how much has changed, but the top YA area, pipes and MH behind the door are all very familiar.
The skybox is a piece of work, I had to spend some time just admiring the view :)
As i said before, I think the shadows work really well, and with all item/player shadows on - the engine looks great (and my pc starts to struggle lol)

Observations :

I'd prefer to see a slightly more opaque tube to the large jumppad, it was difficult at first to appreciate it was covered.

Looking at your concerns, it is very fast to grab MH and RA (either direction, there's a couple of quick routes) - however you're right, any two points can be quickly covered (the map flows very well imo, and this is apparent when you try moving the pu's and testing the runs)
I thought maybe switching RA with the lower YA may work, it seems a further point to reach from MH - and may entice people into making the jump across the void and onto the pad ? (lower area is fine otherwise, i just felt it needed some incentive to enter it)

I have some misgivings about having the RL, RG and RA in such close quarters, but being honest I am not really a duel player, and have not played anyone on this map - so am unqualified in the extreme ;)

Over all m8, its a healthy thumbs up from me - Its looking like its gonna be a fast and fun map to play on, and there's plenty of nice touches in there

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The glass will be changed to one that's a bit more visible.
Regarding MH-RA, I'm pretty sure I'm going to add a new connection from LG around the outside to lower YA, and put the MH there, and then probably move lower YA up to where MH was.

RL, RG, and RA...hmmmmn...you may have a point. I quite like where RG and RA are, but I may shift RL someplace else, or switch it with something...

Thanks for the feedback!!

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-13-2007 04:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is this map suppose to have a solid gameplay (playable)? or just a fun map to show off some good visuals?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-13-2007 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was shooting for both.

The layout is a little funky to make really serious classic tourney gameplay work super well, I suspect, but I'd like to think that gameplay could be at least good with a few tweaks (e.g. MH/RA distance, etc.).

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-25-2007 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Second beta! First post updated with new info, screenies, and download links.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-26-2007 03:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

waiting the ram and power supply for the new pc...I hope tomorrow to test your beta pjw! I really love the acceleration pad color and the mh room!

Argh...I have to waaaaaaaait!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-29-2007 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry, been under the cosh this week :icon32: - ergo is taken me a few days to run around the changes

New MH area is a big improvement, and it is indeed about as far away from RA as you can manage. Shifting the RL to the steps was a great idea too imo, the map has a better balance for me now.

Hurty fluid works well with the style of the map - better than the lava (iirc) before, which seemed slightly out of place. I'd prefer a denser grate texture, i understand the need for it to look wide enough to shoot through, but atm it seems a little too insubstantial to stand on ? (/me thinks of gridflooring in sewerage plants)

I should really sort out sabot and try it out with a target (never tried sabot before - I sincerely hope i don't go through all the effort only to get pwned :ninja: )

Things are looking great otherwise, n1

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-29-2007 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

kleeks wrote:
I'd prefer a denser grate texture, i understand the need for it to look wide enough to shoot through, but atm it seems a little too insubstantial to stand on ? (/me thinks of gridflooring in sewerage plants)

The grate tex will be switched out; a buddy of mine at work is making me a new one, since the one that's in there is sort of low res and rusty (both of which I don't want).

Sabot's pretty straightforward if you just read the readme, and there are a few different bots with different skill levels, and I think you can make your own, IIRC. Thanks for checking it out. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.