Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Mac gaming

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Mac gaming

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-06-2007 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey!!
I've been wondering, I want to buy a Mac (wanting is different than buying it...), I play a lot of Quake 4 and Doom 3 (aside of World of Warcraft) and I've seen that both Windows versions are also native to Linux (using the patch and all that stuff), and I've been wondering if also I can use a similar trick to play them both on a Mac.
I don't mean to the Mac native products, I mean that, can you install and play the Windows games using the patch trick of the Linux version (In this case the Mac patch)??
Or if I want to play them I just have to buy them again just to play them on Mac??

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-07-2007 01:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah there is a mac patch available on id's ftp. I'm assuming the process is similar to a linux install, you copy the files over from the cd and run the patch to give you a working binary.
There's currently only a 1.3 build available, and from what i have seen the mac patches seem to be a bit slower out than the win/linux ones -
but it is supported (by q4max too)

FTP://anonymous:anon@anon.org@ftp.idsof ... uake4/mac/

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-07-2007 01:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately its not quite that simple. Although there are mac patches, they still require a mac version of the dvd to run (other than dedicated servers).

With a nodvd crack it works (I believe - no mac here) but whether that'll get past punkbuster etc I dont know.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 04-07-2007 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hmm like the man in orthapaedic shoes said, I stand to be corrected

in that case, its boooo @ id

I never realised there was a seperate mac dvd :paranoid:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-10-2007 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

didnt they remove the cdcheck a million years ago?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-10-2007 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not for Mac users, no. Everyone else, yes.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-10-2007 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aint that a bitch :icon33:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.