Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        Q about german and english versions of Quake4 (MP related)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q about german and english versions of Quake4 (MP related)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I finally decided to buy that game after playing the new demo. After all, it's only 10€ in Germany now. But i have a concern. I know the german version of the SP is censored/cut but that's not a problem. I'm only interested in the multiplayer.

1) Does anybody know if the german MP is censored (like green blood and other nonsense)??

2) Can i connect to servers that run the english version or is it restricted only to german version servers?

3) Legal grayzone here: will my german serial work on an english copy of the disk?

Appreciate any help!
Cheers, jj

Last edited by jjensson on 06-25-2007 11:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 06:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dont think theres any difference between the two. in case of Wolfenstein, they changed the MP game for both versions and omitted all swastika's. this way both versions were compatible.

using that logic, im sure youre safe when it comes to MP

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Yes, the German MP is censored - no blood fx, any textures with blood on removed etc.
2. No, you cannot connect to the same servers as everyone else - the pure system will not allow the dramatically different base pk4's to work (and even if you force it, they seem sufficiently different to cause problems).
3. Yes, a German CD key with the english media works fine.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why thats utterly gay :icon14:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AnthonyJ wrote:
1. Yes, the German MP is censored - no blood fx, any textures with blood on removed etc.
2. No, you cannot connect to the same servers as everyone else - the pure system will not allow the dramatically different base pk4's to work (and even if you force it, they seem sufficiently different to cause problems).
3. Yes, a German CD key with the english media works fine.

I feared that they wouldn't be compatible. Thanks Anthony, your info is very helpful.
jj

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
germans are all into extreme ass fisting etc and they dont want people seeing blood? wtf

Oh, didn't know that about the germans. Sites i've seen about such particular recreation sports were mostly american...
:icon25: :paranoid: :icon32:

But you're essentially right. Censorship here is extreme.
jj

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-25-2007 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, definately sucks ;)

ATM there are 2 servers running 1.4.2 german edition, 10 running 1.3 german, and 2 running 1.0 german.... Fortunately most germans playing Q4 know about this, and have switched over to the international edition ;)

BTW, worth playing the standard edition SP too - they cut the coolest sequence from the game in the .de version.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I screwed up and bought the German version too. Apart from the singleplayer experience taking a serious hit with all the cut-out content, multiplayer compatibility was a must. Glad to report the German Key/License and DVD works fine with English files though.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.