Quake3World.com Forums
     id legends
        Interviews with ex-id Software peeps

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Interviews with ex-id Software peeps

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 06:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 06:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

paul steed is where its at

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

While I have to commend Paul Steed for his talent and his rather direct personality, I don't feel he's someone that made id Software into what it is. He was just one of the artists that made content. The Q3 models are still, IMO, the best looking models ever made for a game, considering what was possible back in '99. They have so much personality. But in the annals of id Software, steed is just a single line in an entire book.

(which you'll find, if you read Masters of Doom, is actually a pretty accurate statement)

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 06:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats troo. but he made quality models. compare q3 to TA and respect this skillz0rz

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 06:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know, I never minded Q3's models. They looked awesome for its day.

I remember playing Q3 and being amazed that the models would move its head with slight mouse movement... ITS HEAD.

These days, games need to have eyes that squint to a bfg's high dynamic range glow otherwise it looks "outdated".

Quake 3 was fantastic, but it COULD of been better in a couple of areas. Remember those original levelshots of it in the mags before the game was near final? My god it looked stunning.

But its mostly due to the fact that it just wouldn't of ran well at all. Most computers couldn't even get 50 FPS low detail, let alone 500 FPS high detail we all get now on Q3.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 07:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haj! I don't get 500 fps! :E

I do remember they changed some levels. In dm6's center courtyard for instance, at first they had rounded curves for the walls but later decided to go the 'hexagonal' way to improve performance.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 08:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aww poor baby :( :p

I'll try and find some original shots... The one has a shot with an id employee made into a model, thats in a huge church shooting the railgun down to another id employee below, and the railtrail was awesome...

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what is Romero up to these days, Eraser?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I get 300FPS max with a GT6800 and 1,5gb ram.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, he just got fired from Midway. Of course, he claims he "left" much like he did when Carmack handed him his resignation. :lol:

The last time I talked to him, which was on MSN about a week ago, he was just taking a vacation with his new wife.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 10:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you get another round of skulltag with him last friday? :icon32: Being the slacker that I am, I had not installed the thing yet so I missed out. :)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:

Then fix your PC, because i have a 6800GT with a gig of ram, and i get 500. It stops at 500, and then flashes to 1000, it wotn go to, say, 678FPS. Max is 1000, highest really is 500 that it wil ltend to go.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Remember those original levelshots of it in the mags before the game was near final? My god it looked stunning.

Some of the shots released during the time the IHV preview leaked were awesome. The art style in the IHV preview itself is much more hellish than Q3 ended up being as well. I liked it very much. The moving mirrors were really cool in the IHV preview.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 11:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've lost myself a bit here.... I found this screenshot which used to be at the quake3arena.com site:

There's the laser on the SG. I know there was a laser on the SG at some point, but is it still there in the final release of the game? I just can't remember anymore...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-02-2005 11:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup, still there.
Dunno if it's quite as obvious, but it's definitely still there.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 08-03-2005 12:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Did you get another round of skulltag with him last friday? :icon32: Being the slacker that I am, I had not installed the thing yet so I missed out. :)

No, I'm really not into Skulltag that much. With it being the standard that everybody's all jumping around and rocket jumping and mouselooking, it's just retarded. It's nothing like DOOM. Oh, and the ridiculous weapons, man. They add weapons and it's the standard. So gay.

Skulltag. :puke: :puke: :puke:

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 08-03-2005 05:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Fjoggs wrote:

Then fix your PC, because i have a 6800GT with a gig of ram, and i get 500. It stops at 500, and then flashes to 1000, it wotn go to, say, 678FPS. Max is 1000, highest really is 500 that it wil ltend to go.

Forgot to tell you my CPU is a Athlon XP 1800+ :p

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 08-03-2005 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If it shoots up to 1K from time to time then your hardware could get something inbetween 500 and 1K. It's just not powerful enough yet to give 1k+ constant so Q3 will cap at 500.
Shooting directly to 1k from 500 is normal, for the same reason that makes you snap to 125 if you put in anything between 112 and 125 when your hardware is powerful enough. Q3 will try to stick at some particular framerates since they give a "regular" timestep between each (see this page). I don't know the reason but it's probably simple and/or logical.
500 fps -> 2ms between frames, 1k logically 1ms and there you go, since there's nothing inbetween...

(not that you'd want to play at 1k anyway, the air control and movement in general are buggered in a pretty nasty way :D )

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-03-2005 10:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DM: Doom has generated a lot of controversy due to the graphic violence and the Satanic images in the game. It has also been blamed for tragedies such as the Columbine shootings in 1999. Do you think Doom deserves this negative attention and do you think violent games cause the players to become more violent?

TH: In no way does it deserve the blame. Parents need to be strong influences on their kid's lives, and some people have chemical imbalances that need to be recognized and addressed in time. Columbine was horribly tragic, but without Doom, would they have done the same thing? Sure, but then people would blame movies. People are getting worse and worse about taking responsibility. It's the kids' faults, and the parents should have been more in touch with their kids' lives. Everyone wants to blame someone when they hurt. What we do a lot does influence us, but we choose to do it. And parents need to be aware of what their kids are into, or it will happen again

owned

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 08-03-2005 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is true.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds like he's shifting the blame from himself.

interesting.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 08-05-2005 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do you get that?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 08-31-2005 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
I'll try and find some original shots...

*looks at watch* (find any?)

Frag-Muff
Frag-Muff
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 07:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used to sell games, and so many times I had pissed off parents come in and rark me up for not selling their 13 year old a title rated as adult. There seems to be this perception amongst the pig-ignorant that if it's classified as a game it's for kids. Those parents who came to me to find out about the content of the games their kids wanted, so as to make an intelligent choice, were in the minority.

As for Steed's contribution, he may not be a big part of what made id id in the first place, but his modelling and animation skills rate. He put his stamp all over two of the Quake titles, if not the company.

Tom's part of new crew in Tx - King's Isle. Romero's part of a Ca start-up that's hiring leads at the moment.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-09-2005 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still do sell games, and I have to tell the reasons why little Timmy lied about his racing game, and how he gets to pick up prostitutes in the car he just ran down a police man with while being drugged up. They look at me as if to say "Do you think i'm a bad parent?" at which point i just say out loud "You really shouldn't be giving your kid this". They get all pissed and either buy it, or leave and phone head office later, to which i get a call back saying "if he wants it let him have it".

WTF is the point then? :dork:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 10-10-2005 02:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Being principled is rarely easy. If it were, we would all stick to our guns more often.

On the other hand, often it's easier to stick to an ideal and insult the other person than it is to maintain your point gracefully.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-12-2005 11:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chiQ wrote:
I used to sell games, and so many times I had pissed off parents come in and rark me up for not selling their 13 year old a title rated as adult. There seems to be this perception amongst the pig-ignorant that if it's classified as a game it's for kids. Those parents who came to me to find out about the content of the games their kids wanted, so as to make an intelligent choice, were in the minority.

Ultimately it's the parent's choice, I'm all for that, but the parents do have to make an educated decision.

chiQ wrote:
As for Steed's contribution, he may not be a big part of what made id id in the first place, but his modelling and animation skills rate. He put his stamp all over two of the Quake titles, if not the company.

True. He was (is) quite the character too. Shame they had to "let him go".

Frag-Muff
Frag-Muff
PostPosted: 10-13-2005 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Ultimately it's the parent's choice, I'm all for that, but the parents do have to make an educated decision.

True. He was (is) quite the character too. Shame they had to "let him go".

In reply to the first, yes, definitely, except where the law is all over the unfortunate retailer who sells rated games to those underage.

In reply to the second, shame for us. I'm not so sure it was a shame for him in the long run :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-24-2005 12:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

chiQ wrote:
In reply to the first, yes, definitely, except where the law is all over the unfortunate retailer who sells rated games to those underage.

I dunno how far the law should go in that. Quake 3 was a 15+ game here in Europe. 17+ in the US. I was 16 when I bought Quake 3. Imported it from the US, heh. So my point here is that if the US would enforce that 17+ rating then that would be sort of silly considering another, at least equally educated and professional in the matter, rating system would rate it 15+. Now who is right? IMO 15+ people could easily play Quake 3. I'd even go as far as to say people of 13 or 14 years of age could play it. So I'd say that in the end it should be the parent's decision.

I do, however, think that games shouldn't be sold directly to minors. If a child doesn't reach the rated age, then a parent should accompany the child to buy the game.

chiQ wrote:
In reply to the second, shame for us. I'm not so sure it was a shame for him in the long run :)

I'm not exactly sure what he's up to now. Last things I saw from him was that dancing girl Winamp plugin from Wild Tangent and some book on character modelling that he wrote.

Frag-Muff
Frag-Muff
PostPosted: 10-24-2005 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I dunno how far the law should go in that. Quake 3 was a 15+ game here in Europe. 17+ in the US. I was 16 when I bought Quake 3. Imported it from the US, heh. So my point here is that if the US would enforce that 17+ rating then that would be sort of silly considering another, at least equally educated and professional in the matter, rating system would rate it 15+. Now who is right? IMO 15+ people could easily play Quake 3. I'd even go as far as to say people of 13 or 14 years of age could play it. So I'd say that in the end it should be the parent's decision.

I do, however, think that games shouldn't be sold directly to minors. If a child doesn't reach the rated age, then a parent should accompany the child to buy the game.

I'm not exactly sure what he's up to now. Last things I saw from him was that dancing girl Winamp plugin from Wild Tangent and some book on character modelling that he wrote.

As far as ratings go, online resellers are a different animal - they can only really work with what they know, and if you tell them you're old enough they take your word for it. I do think the rules in your own country should apply, but don't see how an online reseller can really be expected to address the issue.

Re. Steed, that was a while ago :)

He's since put out an animation book as well, gone to work at XBox, and moved on again - I won't tell you where he is now. That's for him to put about if/when he wants to.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-25-2005 12:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey now that you are somewhat focused on this thread anyway, I remember reading not long after Steed's departure from id Software that he did some freelance modelling work for American McGee's Alice. Do you know if this is true? I couldn't find his name in the credits anywhere.

Frag-Muff
Frag-Muff
PostPosted: 10-25-2005 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know if he did that or not. I heard rumours, but honestly never followed up. I'll check it out though.

Edit: I checked, and yes, he did.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-27-2005 12:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool :D
Design-wise Alice is one of the greatest games ever made IMO. Fantastic experience. Sad that he didn't receive any real credit for his work then.

i'm gorgeous!
i'm gorgeous!
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 04:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

... for non-coding faggots.

Frag-Muff
Frag-Muff
PostPosted: 10-28-2005 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

diego wrote:
... for non-coding faggots.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a non sequitur.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | id legends

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.