Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake III: Arena between newer Quake versions

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake III: Arena between newer Quake versions

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-28-2007 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let's start from the beginning. We all love Arena. We all think it's the best game of the type. But... q3 is rly old and still doesn't have any replacement, so it's losing it's popularity. Offcourse, at least for now q3 is definetly worth playing and there will always be q3 players, like q2, but most of us will play q3 for few more years and then move to q4 or newer version of q. And after this thought I came with a question- will I be able to transfer my skills to the newer quake? Offcourse, there will always be theory, but what about real skill-, things that we do but don't even know how it's possible, :) like the amazing frags, defrag trics and other stuff?

And now other things to talk about :). What do u think about q3 popularity right now and in future? What stuff shoud id do to replace it q3? What do u think about q4? Is it worth to play on multiplayer and is it able to replace q3 at least "mainly"?

These are only some things to talk in this BIG topic, so please talk about everything about newer versions of quake, compare them to q3 and talk about q3 popularity :)

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 02-28-2007 12:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I seriously think id (not raven) still owes us a true sequel to q3.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-28-2007 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

InFiNiTe wrote:
most of us will play q3 for few more years and then move to q4 or newer version of q.

Is this english ?.... :q3: :p

I would like if they just made a high definition quality version.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-28-2007 01:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I'll move on to enemy territory quake wars depending if it kicks ass or not

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 02-28-2007 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:

indeed. but i don't think they'll ever do it because there's too much money to be made by making a game that people will just throw away after a few months to buy the next piece of shit that drops from their sweaty asshole. just look at the killing EA and the other companies are making by forcing people to buy what are essentially patches.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-28-2007 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:

I think this is 100% true. I tried q4 and it... lets say it isn't the game that can replace q3. At least without BIG mods, but I give 99% no one will create smth like that.

HD version... That would be cool, but no one ever done that and believe me, thy won't. It just wouldn't be popular. Trough there is Chilli Quake... Have anyone out here tried it?

And Quake wars... Isn't it suposed to be tactical, like ET? If so, it definetly CAN'T replace q3.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 03-01-2007 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not gonna move on to any other game... I play other games, but no other game has any sort of replay value to them as Q3 has, since it's not a game that you start from the beginning...and play to the end. No repetitive story line....and the story to the game is what the game is. Eternal....Over and Over....Kill or be Killed.

Maybe I'll play a new version, if they show what happens to Xaero after he got beat and moved onto another realm. I think they should have him go to hell and kill demons over and over...there's a concept...stupid strogg shit.

What's the point of playing the Multiplayer in Q4 and bouncing from map to map pretending that your playing Q3 in Q4(or any other game in that matter)when Q4 is a completely different game...which it's like Q3 with better looking weapons and models(might as well be a mod). The strogg should have been left at Q2. Q4 should have been something different..

I still play Doom..and like it better than Doom2. Doom came out how many years ago...10 or 12. It's still fun..well at least to me.

You have to excuse my mood on this topic, but I'll be playing Q3 until it can't run on computers...and then I'll be re-programming it to still work on them. ROAR!! FRAGS!! haha

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-01-2007 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

unfortunatley we all must realize that our skills are created from years of practicing and playing (and *ahem pwning n00bs *) but small changes, like a "realisim mod" can createhuge skill problems by changing thigs like the aiming cursor, the jump height, or the firing rate by even 10th of a second, it all creates problems. Then theres the fact of a completley new game engine, even a fancier (graphically) version of q3 would require some serious getting used to (textures of people and flags). all the quake games are diffrent, and are hard to perform well in (online) when you begin. I used to play CS:s and DoD:s and others but the gameplay (online) was much diffrent despite the fact that they where using the same engine and premise (Cs-like-fast paced) and when my comp crashed and i tried q3 again for the first time in months, i sucked! thankfully i realized that the clean, fast-paced q3 gameplay was the kind of gameplay that i was longing for.

so you see, we are all playing q3 because its what we are used to and long for, its (in my opinion) irriplaceable

woah thats a long post :icon26: hope i didnt deviate too much! :icon25:

______^_^____^_^
_______^^^^^^^
________^____^
________^____^

QUAKE IS GOD (monty python can be with 'em too =P )

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-02-2007 02:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

v1l3 wrote:
You have to excuse my mood on this topic, but I'll be playing Q3 until it can't run on computers...and then I'll be re-programming it to still work on them. ROAR!! FRAGS!! haha

I'm not sure if I will be there, since I'm only playing q3 for few months, maybe later it'll get boring, but... Will u give me the re-programmed version ? :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-02-2007 05:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
I think I'll move on to enemy territory quake wars depending if it kicks ass or not

I'm afraid it'll be quite a different game from Quake 3

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 03-02-2007 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, but if you aren't going to change anything why even bother. Just giving it a graphics upgrade isn't really something which would make me buy a new version. Quake wars however, seems interesting and different enough to be bought yet not so radically different that you suffer from low playercount or short longetivety (sp? and fucking paradox).

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-04-2007 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think they need to apply extra map pack to buy on the side, like a halo thing! this would be way cooler, I love q4 but the q3 A style multiplayer is way better to play!

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-04-2007 08:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hero_Of_Time13 wrote:
I think they need to apply extra map pack to buy on the side, like a halo thing! this would be way cooler, I love q4 but the q3 A style multiplayer is way better to play!

the community has shown that they can produce insanely great maps. ID doesn't need to have a map pack.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-05-2007 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it'd be nice to see some GOOD linear CTF maps... anyoneknow of some?

______^_^____^_^
_______^^^^^^^
________^____^
________^____^

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-05-2007 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ill be sure to check it out when i can!

i never really got into Quake 2 (i was playing Duke 3d at the time) but breakable objects sound good! thanks! :icon25:

______^_^____^_^
_______^^^^^^^
________^____^
________^____^

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-05-2007 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyone else ever player Duke 3d online? was pretty cool =P

also, has anyone experienced the server browser "glitch" where the "server is not accessible" but yet when the game is restarted, it finds it easily? I have the game installed on a diffrent harddrive than windows (regristery key crash i menetioned)

______^_^____^_^
_______^^^^^^^
________^____^
________^____^

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.