Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        PB Problems :(

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: PB Problems :(

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-04-2007 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi all,

Great forum, I hope someone can help me . Ive also posted this in Tech and Troubleshooting, but maybe more chance of an answer here in the q3 section.

Im at my wits end....been playing q3 for years usually on the same few servers, with never a PB problem, until a week ago, and now i cant stay in a server for more than 20 seconds without being kicked for 'losing key packets'. I read up a bit about pb problems and followed the advice from Evenbalance...i.e. i downloaded and ran pbsvc.exe to uninstall PB, then manually deleted my PB folder from q3 folder, restarted computer and ran pbsvc.exe again to reinstall PB, then used the pbsetup.exe to update it.

While reinstalling PB i was getting the error "**ERROR: Could not get handle to Windows firewall profile: The requested section was not present in the activation context." What the heck does that mean??? I turned off my software firewall, I dont run Windows firewall (XP Home), and I even tried with my antivirus (Avast) turned off.

I proceeded anyway and at the end of the installation, after it runs tests it said "Tests completed successfully without error". And after running pbsetup.exe i got the message "All available updates have been applied".

Im still getting kicked for 'losing key packets', yet when im out of the game i can see that PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe are still running in my system processes.

It makes me think that it might be a router problem (Billion 7401), i tried forwarding the appropriate ports for the PB update, but im not sure that i really need to be doing this?

In desperation last night, a friend sent me their PB folder and i replaced mine with that just to see if that worked, but it didnt...still losing key packets.

Ive read that there have been problems with this newer PB system, and im hoping someone here can help me sort this mess out. I miss playing!

Sorry for the long winded post, just wanted to include enough detail that someone might know how to help me. Thanks for reading

Fear the Mullet
Fear the Mullet
PostPosted: 07-05-2007 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have the same problems almost everytime I play. All I do is /reconnect and I am good to go for the rest of my game-time.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-05-2007 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds like a connection problem.
run a test like this one http://www.testyourvoip.com/ and see if you actually have packet loss.

Fear the Mullet
Fear the Mullet
PostPosted: 07-05-2007 07:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

/seta cl_maxpackets "30"
/seta cl_packetdup "1"
/seta pb_sleep "400"

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-06-2007 02:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi again and thanks for the replies.

Mulletman: /reconnect doesnt help at all no matter how many times i do it
and also, I tried the settings you recommended, but that made no difference either.

Menkent: I ran that testyourvoip test...not sure what that has to do with this lol, and im not sure if this link will work, but heres what it tells me...can you interpret for me please? I am in Australia, and chose to use the 'Sydney' link, but that failed and it tested me on some other far away location so i guess bear that in mind?

http://users.on.net/~casbah1/testyourvoip.jpg

For what its worth, my voip works perfectly, nor do i ever suffer any dropouts or latency when using the net. And before this PB thing happened, q3 played perfectly, low ping, smooth as.

Anyway, im interested in your opinion, and anyone elses for that matter lol.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-06-2007 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have u tried without using the router?

btw turn ur maxpackets back to 125 (30's good for diagnostic purposes, but hinders gameplay performance).

also, check out this thread (both pages)

http://forums.filefront.com/bf-2142-pro ... ff001.html

seems like you've tried the same sort of solution, but there may be some useful details that may help.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.