Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        The DM17 Scene. Zoltar, Prophet, Michael Flatley where r u?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The DM17 Scene. Zoltar, Prophet, Michael Flatley where r u?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-14-2008 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started playing Quake 3 very late (this is also my first fps), right around when PR1.32 was released. I didn't play for very long and stopped after six months. The only map I enjoyed playing was DM17, but I got to play with the best DM17 Quakers and I learned quickly. Zoltar was a vet who quit sometime back and returned at the time I started playing. He is the BEST DM17 player I have ever seen. Prophet is another humble DM17 addict who can shoot 50 percent machine gun with a 150+ ping. Michael Flatley is a famous Q3A player who is heavily involved in the trick jump scene and enjoys playing in DM17 also. I surely would like to play with these guys again. Are there still any DM17 lovers out there? Lets bring back the good ol days. Come out and join me in The Twilight Zone FFA (209.246.170.54:27960)

Last edited by Y A Y O on 10-15-2008 07:40 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-14-2008 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Flatley stopped playing quake3 like 5 years ago or so. Right after Tribulation was released.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-14-2008 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How about Zoltar? Do you know him?

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 10-15-2008 12:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never heard of him. :(

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-16-2008 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds familiar. not a tourney player, afaik, but i seem to recall seeing some demos.
oh, and dm17 is for lamers.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-17-2008 03:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
oh, and dm17 is for lamers.

this

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-24-2008 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DM17 is for lamers? It's either you like it or you don't, no need to disrespect us who loves the map. Dm17 and Tourney6 is what got me to play Quake 3. I love the excitement. If you choose the hide and seek maps then good for you. Stick with it and don't come to our world. I'll probably whoop your butt in ProTourney4 though. Ask Daler.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 10-24-2008 10:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^mad lol

dm17 is a fun map, one of the maps I've played the most in the early days for sure, no telling how many hours I've sat playing insta on that one. but this sounds more like a 1v1 challenge more than anything else no?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-27-2008 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dm17 is fun. Daler playes DM17? isnt he a tourney type of player?

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-27-2008 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i do remember daler raping in a dm17 ffa for quakecon seedings at some point.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-27-2008 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think so too. I was a couple chairs away from him..hes damn good.
Lost to Vo0 though in the QC tourney

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-18-2013 12:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm Prophet but I haven't used that nickname since around 2001.Beginning in 2002 I used the nick Napo, short for Napoleon and began playing Quake Live but didn't like what they changed on Dm17, they ruined the map for duels. It was the demo map for quake 3 and was so much fun. That was definetly my best 1v1 map ever.

I liked watching Zoltar and Micheal Flately, Kamisama, Tilt, Monty, Pureluck, Brim, Carnage, and many other players fight there, without those great fighters, I would never have gotten better, I gave Zoltar a cd in the mail to reinstall Quake 3 back so he stayed for quite awhile and had lots of fun, I saw Micheal Flately around 2006 for a brief moment. I lost a lot of good demos I had too when my pc died, I couldn't recover them. But I uploaded a couple demos on http://www.challenge-tv.com of us dueling, air rockets and ground rockets went to shit after Punkbuster came along, prior to PB, I was hitting them very good. So you don't see great accuracy with them in those.

Anyhow I do play CA from time to time in Quake Live, it'd be nice to see more of you old school Quakers, and I have seen some.

Catch you on the flipside.

Napo AKA Prophet

Last edited by napo on 07-21-2014 07:28 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-18-2013 01:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dm17 is definitely fun to play, but a very poor map for true competitive play. It's just a shame that people get so sucked up into Q3 being a competitive game that they forget about all the fun things you can do with it.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-18-2013 03:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a different style of competitive play. Either your great with weapons, timing, prediction, controlling a map and enemy; outsmarting your enemy or your not.
Each map requires a different style of play to win on it consistently. Even some tournament maps made later required very fast reaction speed with portals like DM17 and had little places to hide, if you did hide, you'd have little time to hide.

On Dm17, your forced to reveal whether or not you have a different set of skills, why limit yourself? You were also forced to prove whether you were great with ground rockets and air rockets, and most people sucked with both, if a player had solid, pin point accuracy with rockets, 99% of the other players would die first. Not to mention MG being a hugely important weapon to be strong with in all maps. There was no better place to show off many types of air rocket assaults so high in the sky, the game was made for fun and we had tons of it on that map amoung others.

Last edited by napo on 06-19-2014 07:59 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-18-2013 04:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dm17's just too unbalanced and gimmicky.

It's like taking a soccer pitch, cutting it in half, digging man sized holes every 10 meters, slanting it in a 15 degrees angle and then saying "yeah you can still play competitive soccer, it's just a different set of skills".

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-08-2014 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In saying that though Eraser, using DM17 for a "rockets only" match can not just be fun, but also can be used for an "actual game type". I used to (and occasionally do now) play with mates with rockets only in that very map, preforming double mid air rocket frags and other timing related skills.

It is however considered "n00b" and is frowned upon amongst other players that play competitively in maps such as Aero Walk / Blood Run etc.

for those who enjoy their high accuracy profile in QuakeLive, then this won't suit them (:

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 03-20-2014 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dm17 is an instagib map ... wide-open and straight to the point ... get like 50 frags in 3 minutes ... used to do that quite a bit back during 1.31pr days

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.