Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 3 replacement pack

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 replacement pack

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-20-2009 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi Forum :)

i allready saw that there is an 'almost' complete Q3A texture/model replacement pack for OpenArena and first of all, thank you for the big effort :)

My question is along with a little story :

I am running Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory with Quake 3 map support programmed in our mod since we like CTF type of games / maps.
The problem is that the stock textures / models are copyrighted and the map pack that is being released use different names.
Does someone knows if there is a real q3a replacement pack with the original names or does someone has a list of the original names and the names of the pack i have to rename ?

Preferable a complete pack cause making a complete pack is time consuming (Not that i am lazy, but its too time consuming for me atm. :/ )

Thank you in advance :)
Dutchman.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 10-20-2009 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i never played that wolfenstein game so i can't directly answer your question, but i will say this:
if you're asking for something that would infringe on a copyright you won't get it here.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-20-2009 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No , i was talking about the pack that was released here. I believe it was the OpenArena pack that replaced a lot of quake3 textures. I know i cannot use the stock textures of quake3, thats why my questions about a legal replacement pack.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-20-2009 10:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I guess that you are referring to the pack called 'z-gpl-q3a2oa-textures'. As one of the authors of the pack, I can tell you that it is freely distributable under the GNU General Public License and it contains suitable replacement for the majority of Q3A textures and models (map objects only, no player models). BTW it has nothing to do with OpenArena or its developers: the first version was created by Jack Thompson independently, and was later enhanced by me and Chiquita.

Since it is under the GPL you may do practically anything with it as long as you provide your modified version (and its source code if any) on request. So you are free to rename the textures inside the pack if you wish. But don't forget that in many case you will have to find and edit the corresponding shader file as well.

A more complete texture set (also GPL) can be found in the PAK0.PK3 file of our Q3MIN project which you can find here:

http://q3min.org

This texture set is based on 'z-gpl-q3a2oa-textures' but many textures and models have been added and/or enhanced since the last version (5) of the standalone package was released.

Hope this helps.

Speaker

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-21-2009 03:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi Speaker,

ok now i understand.
Offcourse we have put a readme inside of the pk3 whom this belongs (http://q3min.org)

Really a big thanks for the efforts .
Cu around for sure :)

Greets,
Dutchman.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.