Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        q3test (!) demo playback

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q3test (!) demo playback

Lightbringer
Lightbringer
PostPosted: 11-29-2009 10:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I recently re-discovered a buttload of Q3test 1.07 demos I recorded back in '99, although for some reason I can't play any of them back. I can't even seem to play back any new demos I record - the 2 demo files included in the pk3 playback fine though. I'm assuming there's a restriction somewhere, but I don't know what it is. Any ideas?

:tear:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-30-2009 05:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you trying to play them back in Q3Test? If they don't work in Q3Test maybe try using CNQ3 (with the full game), cause that might have removed restrictions. Something else you could try is using a point release switcher with baseq3 (of the full game).

Edit: I just re-read your post. OK, so you are trying to use Q3Test and you can't play back new demos you record in it. Maybe there's an installation problem or pk3 conflict. Are you sure you could play the demos back back in the day?

I didn't learn about demos until I got the full game so I dunno really :(

Lightbringer
Lightbringer
PostPosted: 11-30-2009 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't playback any of my old or new demos; the only demos I can play are the ones already included in the pk3. I was able to play back demos back in the day - they were all recorded at a LAN party on a friend's computer, and I'm assuming the install must have been modded somehow.

Renaming 'demoq3' is restricted in Q3test 1.07 (game won't start). When the first Q3test came out (1.05), the restriction wasn't there and we started seeing "illegal" mods coming out left and right.

I guess the best solution would be to remove the demoq3 restriction, but my coding knowledges = 0 :tear:

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 11-30-2009 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What does the console say when you try to play one of your demos?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer
PostPosted: 11-30-2009 11:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was able to find a semi-solution by coming across this page: http://www.esreality.com/index.php?a=post&id=1008588#

I can playback new demos now, but the ones from '99 give me this error:

"ERROR: CL_ParseServerMessage: Illegible server message"

>:(

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 12-01-2009 01:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I suspect those demos are from a different q3test version (1.05, 1.06?).

Lightbringer
Lightbringer
PostPosted: 12-02-2009 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^misantropia^ wrote:
I suspect those demos are from a different q3test version (1.05, 1.06?).

I've tried them all, no dice :tear:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.