Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 3 Master Server?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Quake 3 Master Server?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-23-2012 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CaptainHowdy wrote:
For me it's not that quake live is inferior, it's just that I don't want to watch an ad every time I try to connect to a server nor do I want to pay a monthly fee to skip ads. At the very least, if Quake 3 arena is down forever, id should provide Quake 3 users with a premium quake live account. Nonetheless it would make my week if the master server goes back up.

Quake Live only has static banners so they're not that much of a deal. Besides, in return you can play the game for free. Then there's also adblock

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-25-2012 06:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys, there is an alternative master server that I created with a friend. Also I made a modified quake 3 1.32 client for windows so people can the servers that are reporting to the master server. Or if you're using the latest version of ioquake3 then open up the console and type in:
Code:
\sv_master1 master.maverickservers.com

Please check it out. It's been up for more than 2 years now and quite a few servers are using it.

If anyone would like to add their Quake 3 server to this master server, then add this to your server config:
Code:
set sv_master2 "master.maverickservers.com"

http://q3renegade.com/files/quake3-1.32b.exe

Last edited by Zero6823 on 01-26-2012 10:48 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 05:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am using maverickservers in the last ten days. I am also working on other solutions:

1. My own q3live. With the code already written, tested and partially working, missing to make some adjustments. Unfortunately, at present only for linux.

2. Quake3 client with a static list containing all active servers in the world, in case you do not have access to any master server. I think this solution would be the most viable and fast for all server admins.

If any friends are interested, can contact me through my email: dkvogon@gmail.com

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No reply from Zeni, servers down, its not looking good...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 11:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi All.
Compiled binary files of client and server with support for the master server master.maverickservers.com.
Archive already contains *.pk3 files. Only need to unzip and copy the folder your pak0.pk3 baseq3 and run the client or server.

Mediafire Client & server Linux i386-x86_64
Mediafire Client & server Windows x86

RGhost Client & server Linux i386-x86_64
RGhost Client & server Windows x86

The code from SVN-Trunk - TEST ONLY!

Last edited by dansh on 01-28-2012 07:44 AM, edited 5 times in total.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's in the binaries that you complied? Does it just query the maverick master server only?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sv_master1 "master.maverickservers.com" - replaced instead master.quake3arena.com

and more:
sv_master2 "master.ioquake3.org" - added by developers in ioquke3 SVN2217
http://svn.icculus.org/quake3/trunk/cod ... threv=2217

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see. I tried it out. Your windows binary works better than the one I posted. Thanks for supporting maverickservers. :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 11:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Umm, setting which master server(s) to use is an entry in q3config isn't it? A simple autoexec.cfg would do the same thing, no need to create or install a custom binary for this.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had tried that, but unfortunately it didn't work (Especially doesn't work with original 1.32 client). Having a custom binary is just a more easy solution than messing with configs and whatnot.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 01:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see. Does Punkbuster accept a custom executable if you're connecting to a PB enabled server that doesn't run this executable as well?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 01:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you could also opt to reroute the dns via your hostsfile.

jus in case PB kills your exe

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably doesn't work for PB. Most active Q3 servers don't use PB anymore anyway.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dansh, there is a problem with the binary you compiled.

When I try to connect to certain servers I get an error that says "GAMEMISMATCH: THIS IS A QUAKEARENA-1 SERVER". So supposedly that means it's incompatible with certain servers. This doesn't happen with the binary I made though.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Incompatibility Server - Client. ioquake3-improved engine quake3.
I think it is a feature of the engine from SVN-trunk (developer) code ioquake3.
I think if compile from SVN-branches or SVN-tags (older code), then everything will work.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If anyone had doubts about the return of id master server, I just got today an email from the support of Bethesda.

My email:
Me and my friends can no longer connect to any game server in the world using the internal search engine because quake3 master server is down. What is happening? Is there a forecast return of the master server? Or the master server did not return to work? Thanks for any information.

dkvogon

Bethesda answer:

Hi,
Online play for these games is no longer supported. Any online play is provided by community help only.

So, let's forget about id master server. And long life to maverickservers!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldn't call that definitive, Bethesda never had anything to do with the server nor support for the game. Unless someone from id Software responds, it's not an official answer.

But really, 3rd party browser --> problem solved.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably doesn't have anything to do with it, but maybe TTimo's Frankenstein had been hosting the master server all this time and finally kicked the bucket.

TTimo wrote:
The computer in the closet .... is gone! For the longest time, I've had a Frankenstein in my closet.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-28-2012 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zero6823 wrote:
dansh, there is a problem with the binary you compiled.

When I try to connect to certain servers I get an error that says "GAMEMISMATCH: THIS IS A QUAKEARENA-1 SERVER". So supposedly that means it's incompatible with certain servers. This doesn't happen with the binary I made though.

This binary should work:
http://www.mediafire.com/?53ktw3badadwcp0 - Windows only

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-28-2012 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No news so far from ID regarding the master server browser?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-28-2012 03:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dghost77 wrote:
No news so far from ID regarding the master server browser?

I'm thinking the shut down of ID's Q3 master server has something to do with the resignation from TTimo at Idsoftware. He was the guy the who maintained the master server for all these years.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-28-2012 05:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I wouldn't call that definitive, Bethesda never had anything to do with the server nor support for the game. Unless someone from id Software responds, it's not an official answer.

But really, 3rd party browser --> problem solved.

I tried a browser (which is free) Game Scanner, but as I can see, it still use official id master server, since it is gone now, so it won't work anymore.

So, I think now all the questions is do we have a popular alternative master/register server? so players can query that server (use their 3rd party browser), and admins can broadcast to it as well?

Long live Q3A.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-28-2012 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 12:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
http://www.quake3world.com/q3guide/faq.html

I tried qtracker, looks like it is using (got from a very old post) id official master and gamespy (maybe others), but gamespy is not free.
As a q3a server admin (just hobby), I used to broadcast to id official master only, now I need find a free alternate.

Any suggestions?
(For now, I will try master.maverickservers.com)

Thanks

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 12:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Update,

Tried master.maverickservers.com, it works very good (even fixed the infamous NAT port problem so I don't need send hb from router).

And I can using GameScanner to see the list after changed the master server in GameScanner config xml using following method:
http://forum.bdamage.se/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27

Cheers,
xordos

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 04:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a good alternative Game Scanner - Monster Browser. All rights settings in *. ini file in the program. Including the master servers.

Link Monster Browser

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Xordos : For more infos regarding configuring a Quake 3 server reporting to a master server : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41153

It's not a big problem for me that the master browser is now officially dead, like obsidian said, it never worked all right and I've been using a dedicated client for that since ASE has been released.

Just read the news on the front page about TTimo. It's very sad for the original Q3A community, I think that he was the last link between ID software and us.

I guess that makes it official now that Q3A is not supported anymore by ID :(

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TTimo had little to do with community or Quake 3 support, he was id Software's Linux programmer, helped develop the Radiant level editing tools, and more recently worked exclusively on Quake Live.

I was joking about TTimo and the computer pic above, that was his personal closet computer from over a year ago. He didn't actually host the master server from it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The folks at cromctf.com have made their own master server for everyone to use while ID Software's is down. Visit the homepage at cromctf.com for further details.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys, I had forgotten about this. But there is also another way to view mavericks master server without having to go download a custom binary. But this only works for windows. I don't know how it would be done for linux. Anyways, you'd need to open up the "Run" box on windows xp/2000 or "search" on windows 7. Then type in "notepad C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts" (without quotes)

Then it should open up something called HOSTS file. In there you add "69.9.170.50 master.quake3arena.com" (without quotes). Now you should be able to view mavericks master server on windows through any original q3 client. I tested with q3 1.16 and I saw a list of servers.

Last edited by Zero6823 on 01-29-2012 02:34 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The line that should be added to the hosts file is the following:

216.86.155.165 master.quake3arena.com

Last edited by nexus024 on 03-25-2016 12:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You all can ignore nexus024. There's no need for another master server. Mavericks master server works great.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zero6823 you are a scrub that got beat out by CROM.

Server admins can add sv_master2 "master.cromctf.com" to their server.cfg

Players add 216.86.155.165 master.quake3arena.com to their hosts file to see the servers again!

Last edited by nexus024 on 03-25-2016 12:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What a childish insult, Kal. I don't care about your rubbish server. I'm simply just trying to help out the Q3 community and here you come along and try to lure people away from a master server that's already been created years before you even put yours up.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry I'm not Kal but I did enjoy your regurgitation of the post he made on his website promoting your master server.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.