Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Why isn't Quake Live on Steam yet?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Why isn't Quake Live on Steam yet?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-22-2012 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guess what happens when you release a bare bones game like Quake III Arena today? It's torn to pieces by every reviewer out there, blaming it for not having XP, not having a leveling system, not having perks, having too few games modes and having too few weapons.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-23-2012 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I used to play Quake Live I had to wait ages to install a new version almost every time. It was never quick, not like installing a new version of a Q3 mod. The website was slow and cumbersome to say the least, and I had to type my email address and password in every time I wanted to play. Logging in to play a game is not the same as the one-click launch of Q3A. QL is not like Q3A, it's a bloated version. Also I couldn't get the graphics to look the same as my Q3 and I'm pretty sure I used the same settings.

They also added almost nothing to the gameplay and took away a lot by not including the features of the most popular Q3 mods. Want CQ3? Not in QL. Freeze Tag? Oh you have to pay to play that in QL. Defrag? Forget it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-24-2012 04:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately that's not how Id Software rolls. They wrote of QL as a failure a while ago without even trying to make it a success and/or hiring someone who actually knows the industry to lead the project into success. One of the many major issues is that the only way to subscribe to QL premium/pro is via credit card payment - something that kids - their major target group - don't have.

Long story short: QL has been one mistake after another and nobody is willing to improve it. Sure it's an old game but companies like Zynga have proven that games don't have to be technological breakthroughs to be successful. :miffed:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-29-2012 08:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Guess what happens when you release a bare bones game like Quake III Arena today? It's torn to pieces by every reviewer out there, blaming it for not having XP, not having a leveling system, not having perks, having too few games modes and having too few weapons.

Sadly this is true, but it would attract a lot of oldies and some new gamers who will discover what a good FPS really is.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-01-2012 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
Unfortunately that's not how Id Software rolls. They wrote of QL as a failure a while ago without even trying to make it a success and/or hiring someone who actually knows the industry to lead the project into success. One of the many major issues is that the only way to subscribe to QL premium/pro is via credit card payment - something that kids - their major target group - don't have.

Long story short: QL has been one mistake after another and nobody is willing to improve it. Sure it's an old game but companies like Zynga have proven that games don't have to be technological breakthroughs to be successful. :miffed:

amen :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.