Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 2 Skins + Textures for Quake 3 Arena?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 2 Skins + Textures for Quake 3 Arena?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-09-2012 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forgive me if I screwed up on the post. I own 2 forums myself and it is different enough to make mistake or two. :ducky: Ok- onto my point about Skins/Textures. Most of us who've messed with WADS , DMM Editor etc etc back in the day. Know That there was a Skin &/or Texture Pack for Quake 1 to look like Quake 2 and Vice Versa. I am also aware of one that uses some of Quake 3 Arena's Textures, etc on Quake 2. However- if someone could be nice enough to point out
where I may get the Mod/Texture/Skins Quake 3 Arena to look,sound etc like Quake 2. I can't find this for the life of me. :confused:

I know its out there somewhere but Google gives you the same search results no matter which way you order the words. I do not like asking for help but I can not seem to get the results I want. :cry: Well I look forward hopefully to getting receiving help soon!

MK

http://quakepc.webs.com

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-09-2012 11:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't help you as using Quake 2 assets in another game, even Quake 3 is illegal. There are some custom texture sets for Q3 that mimick the Quake 2 visual style and those are allowed.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-09-2012 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah check out some maps by Mr. Clean or ones that use his texture pack based on :q2: Also you might want to try Generations Arena, a mod that put the Q2 weapons and physics into the game (along with Doom, :q1: and Wolfenstein, but you have the server setting option to disable those). Apart from the inclusion of shitty Wolfenstein Nazi shit in the mod, the main problem with it was the guns as seen from the POV of the player with them in his hands were too skinny, as if they were FOV 160 in FOV 90, so you had to play with cg_drawgun set to 0. Also, they completely ignored the importance of including low LOD versions of all the item pick-ups, so the framerate dropped MASSIVELY just looking at some load of items on the level (my computer had so much trouble rendering that that it would actually freeze the image for a whole second or so) unless you had cg_simpleitems 1 (they actually had made some new 2D icons for the game so you still got something new there at least.) You had to play as TankJr or Grunt (or Stripe) though, to be the Quake2 version player. Grunt sounds rubbish in Q3, but with some know-how (and a copy of Q2) you can make a Q2 soundpack for Q3 that puts the Q2 player soinds in Q3. I made one and it sounded better than in Q2! There are some levels included in Generations Arena that are Quake2 "base style" influenced, pretty enjoyable.

I have maps to recommend to play that mod in Q2 player mode in: Almost any of Mr Clean's maps and OSPDM12 - that hss a real Quake2 base feel to it and Mr C's maps just fit in with the Quake 2 style.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-10-2012 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bleh... Generations. The assets by Tabun (item models, some maps, etc.) are simply brilliant, as to be expected of him. But the mod overall really is just a tribute to Id without much thought about the gameplay. And since when did they port over Q2's physics? It felt pretty much the same as vQ3 physics no matter what class you chose.

To OP: Hi-res remake of the original textures: http://tastyspleen.net/quake/forums/ind ... pic=9497.0 They're nothing great, but it's about the best you'll get for the time being.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-10-2012 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input i'll check him out. Yeah the Wolfenstein is a fine line with some people if its 'symbolism' start to look like the apartheid made the map. I was thinking about doing a sound pack for sure. I have discussed this with many people offline as well. I will take the suggestions and move forth with them. Taking the little bit of the best of the 2 games could make for a great play!
-Again TY
UZI/MK

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/108.178.55.219:27960
Imagehttp://www.gametracker.com/server_info/108.178.55.219:27960

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.