Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        How do I automatically record on a dedicated server?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How do I automatically record on a dedicated server?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-17-2012 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,
Sorry if this supposed to be in a different forum.
Anyway, I am running a dedicated server. And, I would like to record the matches. Is there a way to do so?
I am running it with a batch file:
--
ioquake3.exe +set fs_game mod +set sv_pure 0 +set vm_game 0 +set vm_cgame 0 +set vm_ui 0 +set dedicated 1 +exec rcd2.cfg
--
And a test cfg file (rcd2.cfg):
--
bind F5 g_synchronousclients 1
bind F6 record
bind F7 g_synchronousclients 0
bind F8 stoprecord
seta df_autorecord "1"
sv_maxclients 16
map q3dm1
addbot sarge 5
addbot bones 5
team spectator
--
But, it isn't recording anything : (
I would really appreciate the help!

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-17-2012 10:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

might be a problem with ioq3's implementation of autorecord (i didn't know it was "df_", but whatev). have you tried asking google?

http://ioquake3.org/help/
cl_autoRecordDemo Boolean Record a new demo on each map change.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 12:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried asking google, but all I got were command lists.
Anyway, when I type record into the console of a dedicated server, it says "You must be in a level to be able to record."
Does this mean that the engine was not built to record a match without the recording player participating in the match even if as a spectator?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 01:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As far as I know, standard Quake 3 does not support server-side demo recording. This means that only a player in the match can record a demo from his point of view. There are mods that support server-side demo recording though, but the only one I know of is Ultra Freeze Tag.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 03:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think CPMA has some server-side demo recording of some kind, I read something about it having multi-view (POV) demos before and that having something to do with the server.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 06:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see. Ok, is there a way to record from a given Player's perspective while from a dedicated server?

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-18-2012 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not as far as i know. you'd have to join the server as a spectator.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-03-2014 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually you can by using GTV and configuring its cfg so that it automatically record a client-side demo. However, GTV doesn't move by default, so that you will record only from a fixed point (the default spectator spot) for the whole game.
To fix that, you can use a modification I made of GTV so that it automatically cycles through players regularly:
http://zsensible.free.fr/openarena/gtv3-oacl_v0.9.9.zip

Also, if you want to record server-side demos without needing any client connected, I have made a patch for OpenArena+ioquake3 that is available here:
https://github.com/lrq3000/openarena_en ... sidedemos/

And the unified diff patch if you want to port it to another engine:
https://github.com/downloads/lrq3000/op ... .patch.zip

Also, you could use ExcessivePlus mod to record server-side demos from a client's perspective, but this is not automatic, you need one player to always be connected (you can create a fake client using a script and launch it alongside your dedicated server, this should not be too hard, I have made the tool oamps.sh to do this sort of stuff if you want an helper).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.