Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Question for map directory structure

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Question for map directory structure

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-02-2012 05:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a question about map directory layout, Is it possible to have sub-directories of maps, and the game can still read it all as if it was all in one folder?

Example:

Maps for defrag would go
/baseq3/maps/defrag

Maps for CTF would go
/baseq3/maps/ctf

Maps for DM would go
/baseq3/maps/dm

so when you want to choose from a map, but not sure if it's a CTF or DM map, admin could list "/rcon dir maps/ctf" to get a list of all available CTF maps on the server, instead of listing "/rcon dir maps" where it's hard to determine which is ctf, dm, or even defrag.

I have tried myself doing it this way, Yes it lists the maps correctly, but no it can't load them, because it says it cannot find it.

Cheers (:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-02-2012 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No but the alternative is to unpack the pk3 files and repack them in grouped pk3 files. Pk3 files are just renamed zip files.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-02-2012 10:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And destroy any means of playing online at the same time. Quake 3 servers can and mostly will run in pure mode, which means a client can only load .pk3 files that are also present on the server. If you put your maps in custom pk3 files, no server will allow you to load it.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-02-2012 08:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alright, what about "viewing" a text/config file within console that contains a list?. For example, If I had all of the maps in the one directory (/baseq3), and a text/config file that I could open and list the names of CTF maps, Defrag maps, and so on, and then within Quake 3 do something like "/rcon exec maplist.cfg"?... could it show all the maps I have, as I have manually put the names into a config file?.

I have done some experiments like this in the past for other Q3 scripting tests, obviously using SAY would list it to the public, since we don't want to do this, I would need to use ECHO, but it only seems to ECHO into the server console, not into the clients/red console. There should be a "/rcon view filename.cfg" to view the contents of a configuration file.

Cheers,
~Wishful Thinking!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-08-2012 01:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doesn't CPMA do something like this? I've been on servers that only list the available maps by /maplist that are available for the game mode that is currently running (1v1, TDM, FFA).

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-09-2012 02:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure as I don't play CPMA, I might download it and see if it's got it... no use to me though even if it did. but it's nice to know that some programmer out there has made it possible.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.