Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake III Arena v1.32c freeze on exit

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake III Arena v1.32c freeze on exit

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 08-21-2013 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Since I was in dire need to test some speed and stability issues with SoF2 game, I remember, that it is based on Q3 engine and Quake III can do a "timedemo" (besides bunch of other cool console commands: http://www.joz3d.net/html/q3console.html ), so...

So after years I try old good Quake III v1.32c and much to my surprise, I cannot change the resolution - it always freeze. I realized that the resolution is stored in the config as option seta r_mode "3", so I changed it from 3 to 8 to get my 1280x1024 and also the mimpap settings I set to the best quality...

However the 1280x1024 resolution looks weird: to the right side, there is missing some part of the image :rolleyes: Looks like Quake III did not like 5:4 resolution at all. Is there any patch or something that can be done with it?

Last problem is far more important, tough. The game freeze on exit. I choose exit, it show the credits, then I click once more, the screen seems to fade a bit and that it is. It remail like this forewer. Usually it even prevent the taskmanager to killing the freezed app.
Very nasty.
Reboot took ages, but it is possible >:(

Using Windows 2000 SP4 - and I would bet that - except for the resolution - it worked for me before on W2k and WinXP... but things seems changed. Anyone can help me out with this?

PS. It happen even from start, by default settings... nothing changed. And even that I did not use the important +nosplash parameter to get rid of the iD intro video...
No change. Absolutely no change.
This is the most terrible bug I ever encounter with Quake 3. Please help!

PS2. I should add, that using the classic custom resolution way:
Code:
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_customwidth "1280"
seta r_customheight "1024"

...does NOT fix either the freeze, or the weird display (right part of the screen is MIA) ... But I figured out how to end the process in taskman w/o mouse - the key to kill is not enter, as one might be inclined to think - but space! OMG! ...well, at least I not need restarting anymore :sly:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-05-2013 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you updated your graphics drivers?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-18-2013 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, well, it was something far worser. My GFX card stoped working in AGP mode and prefer now working in PCI mode. Dunno why, but it suxx, of course. Therefore not only Q3, but CoD (1) and SoF2 - all freezed on exit.

Reinstall fixed that, hooray!

Sadly it did not fixed the card operating in PCI mode, witch is kinda slow... Probably a mainboard problem.

Now... what can be done with the resolution? How can I convince Q3 to work well with 1280x1024 res? And what the hell just happen to texture of my character Sarge? I just noticed it is all blurry and crappy and all I did was a CPu change (Celeron to P4) ... WTF!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-18-2013 01:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

make sure r_picmip is set to 0

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-18-2013 01:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh and r_customheight 1024 and r_customwidth 1280

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-20-2013 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, the r_picmip was it... :) Thanks! Much nicer now...

Now just how to set Quake III to render to the 1280x1024? Setting the custom width/height did not do a thing. Still part of the screen is missing... :( It won't scale to the 5:4 ...?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.