Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 3 in Windows 8

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 in Windows 8

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-15-2014 12:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will Quake 3 work in Win8? We are gonna to buy new Windows since XP's end the support and need to know that to decide to buy Win7 o Win8 based on Quake 3 working on that... :?: :?: :?:

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 01-15-2014 05:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Working without issue here.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-16-2014 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

XP support anti-malware extended till july 14-2015

win9 should be out then

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-21-2014 11:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for info. Windows 8 are much safer than previous versions, starting with XP (I do not include outdated versions)... I have read that since it works in Win7, it will work also in Win8. However Quake 3 is slightly outdated game and it's support cross the versions of Windows slightly decreases... You have to enable compatible mode for example...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-22-2014 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If upgrading from an XP machine, I assume this is going to be on an old computer. Check to make sure that you actually meet the system requirements for Windows 8. You can use Windows Upgrade Assistant to generate a report to see how your system, peripherals and software will run after the upgrade.

You'll need to do a fresh install. You cannot do an upgrade install from Windows XP. Make sure to back up your stuff.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-29-2014 12:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We have that PC for about six years, but have new components in (except for CPU)... Hope that Intel Pentium 4 is supported by Win8 :) I know that, anyway upgrade won't accelerate computer much, so we need to erase all the stuff on internal HDD...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-29-2014 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

since malware support is extended for XP, i'd wait for win9 release, then prices would drop for win7/8, by then you might even reconsider and buy or build a new pc with win9

Quote:
The end-of-support date for Windows 7, as of now, has not been extended. Mainstream (free, Microsoft-provided) support for Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 installed isn't expiring until January 13, 2015. Microsoft will continue to provide security fixes for Windows 7 for free until the end of extended support, which is January 14, 2020.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 04-29-2014 06:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
We have that PC for about six years, but have new components in (except for CPU)... Hope that Intel Pentium 4 is supported by Win8 :) I know that, anyway upgrade won't accelerate computer much, so we need to erase all the stuff on internal HDD...

Yes Win8 will run on a Pentium 4. Now the real question is why would you do that though... The Pentium 4 line is 14 years old at this point. I tried running Windows 7 on my parents old P4 system, it basically became unusable. I think we clocked it at taking about 25 minutes to boot and login.

The minimum requirements that Microsoft lists for Win 8, is basically the minimum to have it physically run. Not the minimum to get acceptable performance.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-30-2014 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shadowdane wrote:
CZghost wrote:

Yes Win8 will run on a Pentium 4. Now the real question is why would you do that though... The Pentium 4 line is 14 years old at this point. I tried running Windows 7 on my parents old P4 system, it basically became unusable. I think we clocked it at taking about 25 minutes to boot and login.

The minimum requirements that Microsoft lists for Win 8, is basically the minimum to have it physically run. Not the minimum to get acceptable performance.

Windows 7 Home Permium

P4 3.00 GHz 2.99 GHz
2.00 GB
(No graphics card)

Runs OK. Classic Windows style.
Takes less than a minute to boot.
Plays 720p videos (non streaming).

'Course it can't run :q3: cause it has no graphics card.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-30-2014 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost, you're 17. Get a part-time job, save up, buy a new computer.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 04-30-2014 05:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
CZghost, you're 17. Get a part-time job, save up, buy a new computer.

yep... I started working part-time at age 14. I bought my first computer at age 18, was great having my own system to do what I pleased with it. :)
I had to drop about $1500 to get something decent. Then a year later I got a 3dfx card which set me back another $250 I think.

Your lucky that your growing up now when PC hardware is cheap... you can get a pretty decent system now for around $500-600. Hell even less if you cut corners in a few places.

This website is a great resource for pricing PC hardware in your price point:
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.