Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Prevent body parts from rotating

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Prevent body parts from rotating

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-25-2014 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made a custom character for Quake 3 and due to his physique (it's SpongeBob) he doesn't look right when he looks around, walks sideways etc. Is there any way to prevent head/upper/lower body rotations for just one character?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-20-2014 08:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can put the command "fixedlegs" inside the animation config file to prevent tilting of the entire character as it runs.
You can put the command "fixedtorso" inside the animation config file to prevent rotation of the torso at the waist.

There is no way to prevent rotation of the head, unfortunately. In fact, if you use the fixedtorso command, the head will rotate twice as much to compensate. Also, if the character gets hit, the mesh parts will still rotate a bit, so it doesn't work perfectly.

For a character like Spongebob, I would recommend that you don't split it at the waist. Instead, I would split it where the legs attach to the body. So the legs by themselves would be the lower.md3, and the entire rest of the body would be the upper.md3. I would simply hide the head tag inside the main bulk of the body. You could make a miniaturized copy of the head and make that the head.md3, so you have something that will show up in the hud.

An existing custom model that uses this setup is Grimdemon: http://ws.q3df.org/model/grimdemon/

In the case of Grimdemon, it's used so that the head can be animated along with the upper body. You'll notice he has an animation sequence involving grabbing at the butterflies/bats fluttering about his head, and then eating them.

If you use this setup, I don't think you'll need the fixedlegs and fixedtorso commands.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-21-2014 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why don't you look at the way Orb model moves, that doesn't really have a torso does it? (It's an eyeball with legs.)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.