Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Callvote map list?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Callvote map list?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-10-2014 06:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually had this idea a couple of years ago, but only achieved part success. It wouldn't surprise me if there is actually a mod (ie, RA, CPMA, OSP) that has this feature built in.

The objective is to have a client 'somehow' execute a config/script file on the Quake 3 server that will show a list of maps on the server in the clients console, much the same as if an admin were to /rcon dir maps (maybe even something looking fancier).

I tried having an autoexec.cfg inside of a pk3 file called list.pk3, the config contained rconAddress, rconPassword with a set of "rcon say <map name>", so that a client could "/callvote map list" and it would execute the autoexec.cfg inside of it, leaving the server now broadcasting the contents of that cfg. Luckily it didn't work, because this leaves a high risk of people gaining your Rcon.

Since there is no "/callvote cfg" command, The only other way I could get a client to execute a script file on the server is to use the Hennimation tool for Quake 3, that when a client changes their name to a keyword set, it will take a specific action (say, exec, kick, ban, etc), this would mean a client would need to change their name to "maplist" for example, and then change their name back, so that Hennmation can exec that maplist.cfg

Curious to know what people have to say (aside from, why would people want that?) lolz.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-10-2014 11:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, "/maplist" in CPMA?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-11-2014 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wishful Thinking! wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if there is actually a mod (ie, RA, CPMA, OSP) that has this feature built in.

themuffinman wrote:
Yeah, "/maplist" in CPMA?

yep, something like that.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.