Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake Live is dead, long live "???"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake Live is dead, long live "???"

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-24-2014 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, last year or so they abadoned Linux and Mac users entirely and if you dig a bit deeper there you will find that Id-software themselves aren't putting much effort into the whole Quake3/Quake Live thing anymore, because it doesn't pay off at all for them financially and even causes slight losses. Abadoning a considerable portion of well-paying subscribers is obviously only the beginning of an end.

So, what should you migrate to?

The choice doesn't seem that easy if you look around online. After fighting against critical bugs in (bare) ioquake3 and the overall lack of reasonable advancements in the codebase (like default settings still being geared towards 56k modems and Pentium 3 processors ..) I even considered running quakeworld instead, just because it felt like no one really has jumped of the dying horse yet and that this has 'survived' probably for good reasons and almost 20 years. Quakeworld seemed to be at least some 'thing' that people would still actively participate in. But to no avail, same problems, ezquake had bugs bugs bugs (with linux), and what I didn't even think of: no real 3D sound (!), comparably poor weapon balance and gameplay, yadda yadda. OpenArena .. I want to spare you the story.

Just what can you use nowadays? To me it seems that modern gaming has largely degenerated through joystick style console gaming and no-skill/no-requirement mechanics. To me, more than ever there seems to be a need for something like Quake3 - instant, fast and high precision skilled combat. I still remember 10 years ago, shortly before Quake Live came out, everything would just grow and improve. OSP + Clans + competition. Then Quake Live took it one step further and since then it only stagnated, the community was drowned, the Internet changed and what not ...

Oh btw... I am running OpenArena now with OSP on my own server (the only OSP server...), which seemed the most reasonable (and currently least buggy) choice. Mainly because for the user it is free like Quake Live and you just have to run it straight out of a ZIP file. But there are CPM model incompatibilities and I had to pull in proprietary sound files and the green Tankjr in to make it bearable. Shit ... I have been messing with quake3 source code even before I really could program and also made maps as a teenager. I could easily turn this all into another Quake Live, just fork OpenArena and spent a week with setting up servers and such. It is a joke really if you think about it, how little effort and money you would have to spent. You would only need to rent 1-2 dedicated servers and you could open hundreds of q3 servers and deal with thousands of simultaneous connections easily. Which is about as much as the load that Quake Live has. It is not 1999 anymore, I rent dedicated servers for 30 euros a month that could do the job. The only thing you really need to "pay" for (in the sense of working on it) is providing support, fixing minor bugs, improving the code. But those are community aspects, it is not something a company needs to be hired for or something you necessarily can just obtain for money. But whatever ... I have set up stuff before only to have no one use it because I don't understand people and therefore I don't understand marketing at all. I wouldn't do this until someone came along and took charge of making it public efficiently.

Last edited by C0NPAQ on 09-24-2014 08:10 AM, edited 3 times in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-24-2014 06:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 09-24-2014 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50533

I don't want to be an ass, but what are you saying with that URL ... that we should wait 2 years for some corporate entity that demands tens of thousands of USD ... to restore a somewhat broken community build around a very good FPS game that fulfilled a fundamental gaming need at the time?

Moreover ... all the while with Quake3 being released full GPL source code, with great efforts from Carmack himself (which I just read about in his blog-thing), for almost a decade and people doing a shitty job to improve it or make a community like Quake Live out of it. Ok, maybe just because Quake Live was there and it was good enough, but still ... I don't think it is wrong to say that this is well within a minimal community effort to work with and that this is where development, and control over the style and direction of it, should really come from.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-14-2014 11:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he dying horse yet and that this has 'survived' probably for good reasons and almost 20 years. Quakeworld seemed to be at least some 'thing' that people would still actively participate in. But to no avail, same problems, ezquake had bugs bugs bugs (with linux), and what I didn't even think of: no real 3D sound (!), comparably poor weapon balance and gameplay, yadda yadda. OpenArenhe dying horse yet and that this has 'survived' probably for good reasons and almost 20 years. Quakeworld seemed to be at least some 'thing' that people would still actively participate in. But to no avail, same problems, ezquake had bugs bugs bugs (with linux), and what I didn't even think of: no real 3D sound (!), comparably poor weapon balance and gameplay, yadda yadda. OpenAren

We provide fast success in Pass4sure PW0-105 dumps exam by using our high quality fit.edu prep resources. We offer up-to-dated tabor and join dumps with Rasmussen College guarantee of network+ training success in Pittsburg State University

Last edited by salman123 on 12-11-2014 10:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-15-2014 04:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

C0NPAQ wrote:
MKJ wrote:
http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50533

I don't want to be an ass, but what are you saying with that URL ... that we should wait 2 years for some corporate entity that demands tens of thousands of USD ... to restore a somewhat broken community build around a very good FPS game that fulfilled a fundamental gaming need at the time?

Meanwhile, Reflex is downloadable and playable only 2 months after this post.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 12:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Downloadable for only €10 even

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-20-2014 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not downloadable, then.

:olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-21-2014 01:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wut?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-21-2014 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Behiind a paywall" =/= "Available to download".

Does that help you, Eraser?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-22-2014 11:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No it doesn't. Because it's a statement that's so wide off the mark it's not even funny anymore.

It's expected coming from you, though.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.