Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Sound wav or MP3?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Sound wav or MP3?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-28-2015 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know if this was correct in posting this, but what does the Quake 3 engine support for all its games? I tried replacing some audio files, but they didn't work first as wav then mp3, with the old MP3 files.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-29-2015 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

22khz mono wav for sound effects. I think music can be stereo

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-29-2015 02:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wav 22050 Hz samplerate (or can be 11025 Hz, but it will be distorted in the game then), always. Mono for sound effect, for music I'd recommend stereo, even if it could be same track for left as for the right :arrow: mono.
Anyway, I've seen somewhere map using 44100 Hz samplerate mono wav files for sound effects, working a a charm...

MP3 won't work at all, Quake 3 engine needs PCM sound files, which are wav ones. Save as 16bit PCM... Quake Live use OGG vorbis instead, so with lossy compression, but it still points to wav files, even when ogg... The same is for shader references (texture files used by shader) - you have to write always tga extension, even when using jpg... Quake Live use png instead of tga, but still points to tga... It's just the syntax that stays the same...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-30-2015 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The current sound files for the Map I'm editing are wav, and MP3.

I tried to replace the MP3 sound effects, they were of a door opening and closing.

The first time I tried with wav, it stated stereo doesn't work. But even a conversion to MP3 didn't change that. The only sound that worked was for the lift door on the deck, as for the other doors nothing. I used a web based conversion called 'audioformat.com' and a program that made the wav files called, 'Power Sound Editor free'

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-30-2015 03:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am using Audacity. It lets you edit sounds basics like cut, split and silence, and also allows for basic conversion via load up original format and save your format (in this case MP3 :arrow: WAV) - you can after loading edit your sound before exporting to WAV...

Also it was said there before: stereo won't work for sound effects applied to map entities like target_speaker or doors, portals, etc... Stereo can be only music, which is literally applied to worldspawn only... If you have stereo sound, you need to convert it to mono first before saving and using as sound effect in the game...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-30-2015 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Could I enquire of you, a favour, would you like to try and see if you could get the example files I have working in the Quake 3 engine? If they work on your end, they should run okay for EF. I think so.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-31-2015 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, go ahead :) I can try out converting them to working copies if it won't work for first time - direct use...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-31-2015 01:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.filedropper.com/dooropen

Here is the opening door mp3.

And the closing door.

http://www.filedropper.com/doorclose

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-31-2015 03:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, MP3 won't work at all. Converting to 22050 Hz 16bit PCM wav files...

This should work. These are 22050 Hz mono 16bit PCM format wav files. Works for Quake 3, should work for Star Trek Elite Force then...

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-01-2015 04:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, they aren't working in Elite force.

Thank you for trying for me.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-01-2015 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why don't you open a pk3 file of Elite Force, find a sound effect and check what format it is?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-01-2015 04:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The door sounds are in MP3, I changed the scripts, and added the new sounds in. They aren't working.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.