Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Quake 3 Master Server?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 3 Master Server?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 12:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been unable to retrieve anything from the master server as of today... Tried on two pc's and my modded xbox and all fail to retrieve server list from master server... I've tried everything I could find on the internet on the subject withous success and was just wondering if the master server's down today?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 06:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's not a question of whether the master server is down, it's a question of when the master server is actually up.

http://www.quake3world.com/q3guide/faq.html

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-18-2011 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The mystery about the masterserver is getting even bigger. It is true that the master server is not always responding, but when he is responding he only shows server who are online line for a long time. New server won't be listed at all.

I don't know why this is happing but the lifeline of Q3 is slowly being squeezed until it's dead :(

*[CBC]NeRd
*Online player sinds 1999*

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-18-2011 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Read the FAQ, use a third party browser, or play Quake Live.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-15-2012 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a possible chance that the server is being hacked. As a Botnet has been attacking servers world wide on the Q3A ports, all mods and all games relating to Q3A.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-17-2012 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I highly doubt that. It is more likely that id Software has purposely taken down the Quake 3 master server in order to get more people to switch over to the lesser, Quake Live.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-17-2012 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Quake3 Master Server hasn't exactly been operational since 2001/2002, since Mplayer/Gamespy folded. This is news as of 10 years ago. You don't need the Master Server to play Quake 3, just use a third-party browser like everyone else, as linked in the FAQ I posted above.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-17-2012 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
The Quake3 Master Server hasn't exactly been operational since 2001/2002
.. I don't exactly know what you mean by this, but as far as I know, when I queried the master server on the morning of Saturday the 14th, it was returning to me a list of Quake 3 servers. That, to me, is operational. Later, that same day, I got no response from it and it's been unresponsive ever since. I appreciate your suggestion of using a 3rd-party browser, but my concern isn't that *I* can't use the built-in Quake 3 server browser anymore, my concern is that "everyone else" can't. The populations of Quake 3 servers (including the one that I play on) have drastically decreased since the master server ceased operation. You can check out server population statistics for yourself on Gametracker.com. If the master server doesn't ever come back online, it's game over for Quake 3 Arena. Period.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-18-2012 12:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

demon514 wrote:
I highly doubt that. It is more likely that id Software has purposely taken down the Quake 3 master server in order to get more people to switch over to the lesser, Quake Live.

Well.... I went over and tried Quake Live for 3 days now. Don't like it :down: . If Q3 is dead... I'm outa here. I'll have to take up Half Life, I hear they have servers running :ninja:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-18-2012 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why all the hatred towards Quake Live. I really don't see whats so different about it :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-18-2012 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

demon514 wrote:
If the master server doesn't ever come back online, it's game over for Quake 3 Arena. Period.

I think you're being a little over dramatic here. It's not like Quake 3 is still at the prime of its life and I doubt there's still many people who use the in-game server browser to find games. Most people still playing it will be playing at the same servers they've been playing on for over a decade. And even if you're looking for new servers, there's always 3rd party options like obsidian suggested.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-18-2012 01:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the master server was down long before QLive was launched. not only that, the server browser didnt work properly since random patch #12. everyone who played either used a 3rd party browser or had favorites.

bunch of conspiracy theorists :dork:

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 01-18-2012 04:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@demon514 is right in that the master server is still up and running, it's just incredibly flaky. Has been for years.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-18-2012 11:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

demon514 wrote:
Quote:
That, to me, is operational.

It's always been online, it just hasn't done what it was supposed to do in a decade. That, to me, is non-functional.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-18-2012 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
If Q3 is dead... I'm outa here. I'll have to take up Half Life, I hear they have servers running

pure. ! It's me DemoNn from PTP :D Haven't seen ya in awhile. Besides your quake3 needs, hope all else is well. Yeah Half-Life probably isn't such a bad idea. I might make the jump to DooM 3. I've never tried it multiplayer, and I heard it sucks.. but nothing a bit of programming can't fix though.

Quote:
Why all the hatred towards Quake Live. I really don't see whats so different about it

Eraser, just to name a few differences:
- Classic maps like ctf4 have been butchered. Not just from an item placement standpoint, but their geometries have been changed too. and what's with that terribly annoying and distracting background with big bright planets in it n shit? Space maps are supposed to be plain BLACK. I'd settle for a few stars here and there, but no.. That's what happens when you throw a bunch of money at artists and tell them to produce something... Sometimes less is more.
- No more blood. Instead we have "sparks" which look more like pretty little, slow moving, floating golden bubbles.
- No homemade maps or mods allowed (this one alone is a deal breaker. The server I play on is a pure server with its own respective client and soon to have a working "kill cam" implemented.... Though since the server's population dropped from an average of 10 different players a day to the occassional 1 person who connects to see if anyone is online and then disconnects, I don't see why the programmer would continue developement on the mod.

The majority of that server's traffic came through the master server. Every day a new name would connect, and now? nothing. Just out of curiousity, pure. (if you're reading this) how did YOU find the server (PTP)?

Fact is, the majority of Quake 3 players use the built-in browser. The statistics don't lie. and anyone who plays Quake 3 daily knows that their favorite server has lost more than half of it's traffic.

Anyway, that answers the Quake Live question. I can add more to the list.. and I probably will in my next post, if provoked. I don't even like to talk about Quake Live :puke: One Quake 3 wasn't enough? They just HAD to make a copy. Let's charge our customers X dollars for Quake 3 Arena, make a bad copy of it, destroy the original and then charge them again for it.

Quote:
I doubt there's still many people who use the in-game server browser to find games.

Eraser, I wish that were true, but it's quite the opposite. Even *I*, who's been playing since q3 since 99 still use the built-in browser. Mind you, I use the Team Arena browser because it's about 10x faster (estimated guess). Why would I go through the trouble of downloading a 3rd-party app. or go to a website that lists q3 servers when I could just pick and choose from within the game? If you're stuck with the slower q3a browser and you're somewhat a computer enthousiast, then fine, you're probably likely to search around for another solution. But the fact is, for whatever reason, most Quake 3 players rely on the master server to find new servers to play on.

My sincere apologies to all for the long post. I'll try to be more brief in the future.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-18-2012 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been playing since the demo came out and aside from short period of using the all seing eye I have always used the ingame browser, if it goes it will be a major letdown. And I couldnt retrieve the server list for few days now...noticable drop in player numbers on favourite servers.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-19-2012 12:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pure. wrote:
demon514 wrote:

Well.... I went over and tried Quake Live for 3 days now. Don't like it :down: . If Q3 is dead... I'm outa here. I'll have to take up Half Life, I hear they have servers running :ninja:

pure pure pure pure pure pure pure pure pure pure pure pure

WHERE THE @#%@#($U@#($ IS MY DAM MASTER SERVER!!! RWAR!

if id really shut it down just to get more ppl on qlive...ill never buy a id game again!!! it better just have a dead psu and there digging up some junker p3 machine from the basement to get it working again!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-19-2012 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

demon514 wrote:
Eraser, just to name a few differences:
- Classic maps like ctf4 have been butchered. Not just from an item placement standpoint, but their geometries have been changed too. and what's with that terribly annoying and distracting background with big bright planets in it n shit? Space maps are supposed to be plain BLACK. I'd settle for a few stars here and there, but no.. That's what happens when you throw a bunch of money at artists and tell them to produce something... Sometimes less is more.
- No more blood. Instead we have "sparks" which look more like pretty little, slow moving, floating golden bubbles.
- No homemade maps or mods allowed (this one alone is a deal breaker.

The first two issues seem like very minor things. Especially the skybox thing, because you can just set r_fastsky to 1. The reason for the sparks being there is obvious. Q3 is rated 17+ in the US. They don't want to restrict Quake Live to 17+ players so they replaced the blood with sparks so that it's more like a 12+ game than a 17+ game. I don't see the issue. Functionally, the sparks do the same as the blood and is it really that important to you that, in a competitive multiplayer game, players explode in showers of make-belief blood?

I just find it odd that you, among loads of other people, are having a negative attitude towards such minor changes but at the same time would just as easily swap out Q3 for Half-Life, which is a totally different game.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-19-2012 08:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have any of you thought of contacting someone at id Software (maybe SyncError) and asking them about the problem (if there is indeed a problem)? Perhaps it's down for maintenance, or they don't know about the problem, or perhaps they didn't think anyone was using it anymore. Regardless, it's better than typing out paragraphs of speculation which doesn't get you anywhere.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-19-2012 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Have any of you thought of contacting someone at id Software (maybe SyncError) and asking them about the problem

It's the first thing I did before I came here out of desperation. I searched all over id Soft's website without finding any means of contacting them. I did a Whois lookup on the master server's ip and got the following e-mail address: ddt@idsoftware.com to which I received a failure of delivery notice. I then did a Whois on idsoftware.com's ip and got: it@idsoftware.com to which I'm still awaiting ANY kind of reply. I don't know if I should try contacting someone at Bethseda or ZeniMax? I was thinking of trying different variations of what John Carmack's e-mail address might be.... johncarmack, john.carmack, johnc, jc@idsoftware.com, etc. Anyway..... I'm about ready to hang up my double-barreled shotgun (if I haven't done so already), but if you have any contact information you can share with me/us, I'll start sending out e-mails right away. .. or if you have any ideas as to whom or where I can obtain contact info., point me in the right direction wtv, I'd appreciate it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-19-2012 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

syncerror -at- idsoftware -dot- com

Keep in mind, they are busy people so don't expect an answer right away, but they will typically get back to you if you ask a question reasonably.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-20-2012 09:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As I failed to find any direct contact with iD I emailed ZeniMax tech support yesterday politely asking for any info about whats going on. Awaiting reply, not pinning any hopes though...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-20-2012 10:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellent. The polite and humble e-mail has been sent! I basically wrote that the master server was down and asked him if he was aware of it, and if so, if he knew when it might come back online. As long as he doesn't read the trash I wrote here about QL, we should be ok. :) I'm not holding my breath though on getting a response, but if I do get one, I'll be sure to post it here for you guys. Thanks obsidian.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-20-2012 01:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah let us know. It's much appreciated.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-21-2012 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have some views that would share.
I put a server to run the game in Brazil, and in less than two months he spent more than 250 players. The majority, about 90% are beginners with modest computers, and found my server for the master server list. They have no idea how to get into the server directly and not even know the existence of programs that seek to servers.
Obviously these players stopped playing when the master server stopped working and 10% older did not play due to lack of opponents. And none of them are certainly not playing Quake Live.
A point to be placed is that Quake3 still being sold (just look at Amazon.com and Steampowered, just to name two). How is the buyer of the game (like many of the players on my server) that has acquired and now can not play on the internet?
Maybe the server administrators were to come together and make a global campaign using facebook, twitter, orkut and other means, to use another master server, as dpmaster, for example. That way we would end up with the dependence of the master server id.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-21-2012 09:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Greetings Fraggers! :q3:

Signed up here today. Wanted to pop in and let everyone that the dreamcast quake 3 community is having the same problem getting any response from the master server (yes, we are still playing this game online with our dreamcasts :ninja: ).

Any retired dreamcast Fraggers here at the quake3world forums?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-22-2012 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a real shame that id would shit on their customers like this and I cannot accept that they are not aware of the problem. It is their responsibility to watch over and maintain the master server ESPECIALLY if they are still selling copies of Quake 3 Arena!! At the very LEAST they can announce SOMETHING with regards to what's happening. Their silence sends a clear message about Quake 3 players, and that message is "fuck them." We are obviously too insignificant to be given any kind of news on the status of the Quake 3 master server, and at this point, even if they do bring it back online.. over the last 8 days of dead-time, too many Quake 3 players have already been lost and have moved on to something else. I'm one of them. I bought Doom 3 for my uncle a couple of years ago and I am now playing his copy (the single-player story). I'm a huge fan of the first and second DooM games and I'm really enjoying this one a lot! This is my kind of game and I really love the engine! The graphics and lighting are outstanding, even by today's standards! It's very id, and I very like it. :) ...... but.. I'm contemplating buying a copy for myself (along with the Doom 3 expansion). I am torn between my values and my desire to play a game I really like... and another question comes to mind: Will they someday create a newer, (and needless to say, butchered), corperate and capitalist friendly version of Doom 3 and call it "Doom Live" (with pretty little golden bubbles instead of blood) and shut down the Doom 3 master server without saying a damn thing ? Seriously though! Don't say "probably not", because when we first heard rumours that they were working on a web-based version of Quake 3 called, "Quake Zero", we all laughed at the idea! Little did we know then, that the great majority of Quake 3 players would eventually ditch Quake 3 for it.

Last edited by demon514 on 01-22-2012 09:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-22-2012 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree with demon514. To be absurd that there is not even a single note about the master server. I know that many people have put time, effort and money to have their own online servers, like me. And what about the designers and programmers who made maps, skins, characters and mods? And the thousands of websites, forums and clans that helped keep the game alive until the present day? They are simply disposable? That's a real disregard for the people. It's not just the end of Quake3. For thousands of people, is the end of a relationship of trust. And now, with 5 servers rented with my own money, I am obliged to seek an alternative. And certainly not anything that is related to the quake, id or any of its partners.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-22-2012 11:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus Christ, get your panties out of a knot you guys. id Software has been supporting this game for quite some time. They've released two generations of games in the mean time, so do you think it's strange Q3 isn't their priority anymore? They owe you nothing. Besides, you don't know what's wrong. Maybe they've been working around the clock for the past days to get it fixed, you just don't know.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-22-2012 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

demon514 wrote:
I bought Doom 3

Yeah, something must be done to send a message to id Software that they should stop screwing their customers. Let's all collectively buy other id Software games to tell them! :dork:

demon514 wrote:
Little did we know then, that the great majority of Quake 3 players would eventually ditch Quake 3 for it.

And rightly so. Quake Live is like Quake 3 on steroids. It's awesome. The new features really breathe new life into the game. Your dislike of Quake Live is based on some kind of odd grudge it seems. And do tell, how old are you? Why the rather disturbing fascination with blood?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-23-2012 05:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In my pov, Eraser are wrong. No company grows without its consumers. And ID has grown not only by the quality of their games, but also with the support of the community. It owes its rise to its customers.
If they are working on a solution, why not a little note about it?
Stop buying ID games or not means absolutely nothing. The product may be good, but not the attitude of the company, especially in this case.
QuakeLive on steroids is just your opinion. For me it's just another option. And players from Countries like Venezuela, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina has over 150 in QL.
And the right to choose where to play? Why be tied to a single supplier? And if ID resolve to end the QL? Nor will say anything to your users?

This is my last post here. It makes no sense to be discussing this issue with those who will not solve the problem.
I am grateful for having had the opportunity to put my pont of view on this forum.

Good luck to all.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-23-2012 11:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can someone state clearly the problem here? Just the master server is down? Gametracker is saying that people are playing quake 3 right now as I type this. Dozens of active games.

I Play quake 3 online with my dreamcast and my only concern is that there are no 1.16n servers with the dreamcast mappack online. I hope this game continues to thrive online, as it has for about 13 years now.. People still play doom online. Unless quake 3 somehow becomes completely offline, I don't see its community ceasing anytime soon.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-23-2012 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Problem is the master server being down. Sure you can still play, theres plenty of servers around. However, if you`re like me(playing for old times sake) you would be a bit disappointed. What I like about q3 is the speed of the game itself - click click click - youre in action. These days I simply dont have time or will to be f*cking about with third party game browsers and such. Plus, I know iD dont owe me anything, but myself and others supported this company for many years buying their games and getting other people to buy their games - I think one lousy mention somewhere to explain whats going on isnt that much to ask of them now, is it?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-23-2012 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser, really? .. REALLY?! First of all, the next time you quote somebody, try to avoid quoting only the first 3 words of their sentence otherwise you are quoting somebody out of context. Is that why you call yourself Eraser? For someone with 34,000 posts, you should know better. Secondly, I find it funny that after pulling off such a childish move, you have the nerve to ask ME how old I am. YOU'RE the one trying to start a flame war here! Grow the fuck up! I could have fun with you, but it's not why I came here. I came here to express my frustrations towards id and find answers about the master server. Unfortunately the latter didn't work out, but I do feel much better about the former.

I've said all I've wanted to say.

Thanks again for your help, obsidian. I'll let you guys know if I hear anything back from SyncError. pure., I wish you luck in finding a worthy replacement to Quake 3. madmad, let us know if you hear anything back from ZeniMax. Quake3DC, good luck with your dreamcast thingy. I played many awesome games on that console. It was ahead of its time. dkvogon, you are a smart man. Thanks for your support and.. I feel your pain brother..... .. I spent ... SO much time developing a modded pure server (and client), and it only lived for a whole 2 and a half months after its launch.. It was struggling, but fairing well enough to play a few 3v3s almost every night.. until the master server went down. Now it has no players. I completed my first q3 map ever about two weeks ago (which only took me about 200 hours or so) and I never got to try it with more than 2 players. I hope your servers continue to thrive when/IF the master server ever comes back online. The people of south america need a server! I should know, because about half of my server's players were Spanish speaking south americans. :)

On a positive note.. I learned A LOT about programming and map making... and a little bit of Spanish! haha. Cya guys

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-23-2012 04:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For me it's not that quake live is inferior, it's just that I don't want to watch an ad every time I try to connect to a server nor do I want to pay a monthly fee to skip ads. At the very least, if Quake 3 arena is down forever, id should provide Quake 3 users with a premium quake live account. Nonetheless it would make my week if the master server goes back up.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.