Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Improved CTF bots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Improved CTF bots

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-23-2005 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone who ever played CTF offline knows how bad the iD bots are. This file fixes that. The PK3 contains scripts for the stock iD bots, optimized for CTF play. Just put it in your baseq3, it will take effect next time you start your Quake. Enjoy!

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-23-2005 05:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kewl man, did you re-do these? :)

Do you know if any of the ctf mods like 3wave or lrctf feature good bots at all?

Would this happen to work in osp too?

brushmangler
brushmangler
PostPosted: 10-23-2005 06:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Like Riddla said, care to elaborate on what you did to the cfg files?
(it's hard to accept any change to some cfg files does make bots less st00pid, remember this game exists for over 6 years now)

brushmangler
brushmangler
PostPosted: 10-23-2005 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
Oh duh now I see, flag weight is upped to 500 for starters...

no way, visor has a flagweight of only 120
anarki gets up to 450
and you don't even want to know how crazy orbb got

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-24-2005 02:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wrote a little script (see below) that parses their item weights and sets the flag weight to the highest of those. This prevents them from becoming suicidal lemmings while still making them much more assertive in CTF. Now nightmare bots with bot_challenge 1 are at least a bit of a challenge. I've tried tweaking other parameters as well, but none have as much effect as this simple fix.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

my @lines;
my $highest = 0;

while (<>) {
  push @lines, $_;
}

foreach (@lines) {
  /\#.*?(\d+)/;
  $highest = $1 if ($1 && $1 > $highest);
}

foreach (@lines) {
  s/(FLAG_WEIGHT.*?)(\d+)/$1$highest/;
  print;
}

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-24-2005 12:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well they still lack a lot of things. :icon32:

[lvlshot]http://s88378813.onlinehome.us/images/games/q3/ctf_bots001.jpg[/lvlshot]

IMHO, good teamplay/ctf bots should have: (I know it's easier said than done)

- Should strafe more like humans to maximize speed (spiterbot does this pretty well, albeit sometimes he does cheat jumps)

- Dodging patterns for rail and other weapons (again spiterbot does it nicely but not great)

- Should try and go for the flag more (they get stranded many a times in middle or in their base, instead of going into the central area and proceeding for the enemy flag)

- When human gets enemy flag, the bots should all (or at least half or more of the team) stop what they are doing and try and pursuse the flag carrier. Even if they where to cheat and see through walls or what-not, but they should concentrate on the lead player with the flag because afterall flag captures are what hurts the weaker teams the most.

Better movement and planning patters could maybe be achieved with a script sort of what the Eraser bots had for Q2. You could script pretty nice patrol routines and movement patterns with it.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-24-2005 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

True, the bots still lack any kind of tactical insight, but you can't fix that without (heavily) modding the source. I have some thoughts on the subject but it would require lots of time to implement, something I don't have. Maybe bugger arQon to make the CPMA bots work in VQ3?

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 10-24-2005 12:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmmm, I have cpma installed, I suppose I could give their bots a shot with vq3 physics of course. :icon32:

Do they work in cpma ctf?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-24-2005 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's the problem: if you try to add a CPMA bot while in VQ3 mode, it says "I don't play VQ3" and disconnects. They work in CPMA CTF but they only have a marginal feel for the game. Oh well, they're still better than your average iD bot.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-09-2011 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How do i download the file it goes to this website http://www.savefile.com/files/7155636 and i cant download it :(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.