Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Alt+Tab in Quake 3 Arena

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Alt+Tab in Quake 3 Arena

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey i noticed that the Alt+Tab command dont work in quake 3 arena, is there anything i can do that will do the same thing as alt+tab???

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 03:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alt Tab first, pull down the console when ur windowed and you'll be free to go in windows.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 04:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Use Q3E Minimizer. Much more convenient. For some reason it doesn't work as intended in Q4 (needs alt+tab), but for Q3 it works perfectly.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 07:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yer, alt-enter will take you out of fullscreen, then when you bring down you can change focus normally.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 11:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
yer, alt-enter will take you out of fullscreen, then when you bring down you can change focus normally.

this is what I do. It works in every game that dosen't support alt+tab

cess primary
cess primary
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i actually meant that. mybad :o)

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't you alttab in ioquake?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
Use Q3E Minimizer. Much more convenient. For some reason it doesn't work as intended in Q4 (needs alt+tab), but for Q3 it works perfectly.

holy shit! - this is exactly what i need!

does it take up much system resources?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aw fucklepops - don't work with win98 :(

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 02-23-2006 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HAH.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-26-2006 01:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
aw fucklepops - don't work with win98 :(

What're you waiting for? Upgrade to WinXP/Win2K!

On my old PC I resorted to pressing the window which would bring the desktop into focus. The Q3E Minimizer works pretty well but I had problems in the past with the gamma or icons getting messed up. Nowadays with a faster PC the short delay when Alt+Enter'ing is not a problem.[/img]

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-26-2006 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alt+enter (and back) takes ages, even with Q3. With Q3E Minimizer you minize Q3/Q4/D3/etc. without needing to restart the engine in windowed mode (i.e. in the blink of an eye). The advantage is obvious. Alt+enter isn't for minimizing but for windowed mode.

The gamma problem (ATi dark game and nV overbright desktop) can be 'fixed' by a simple bind or the gammafix utility respectively. ATi drivers have a setting for 3D mode gamma which can fix it too, but nVidia only has game/application profiles (not sure if that can help).

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 02-26-2006 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
Alt+enter (and back) takes ages, even with Q3. With Q3E Minimizer you minize Q3/Q4/D3/etc. without needing to restart the engine in windowed mode (i.e. in the blink of an eye). The advantage is obvious. Alt+enter isn't for minimizing but for windowed mode.

The gamma problem (ATi dark game and nV overbright desktop) can be 'fixed' by a simple bind or the gammafix utility respectively. ATi drivers have a setting for 3D mode gamma which can fix it too, but nVidia only has game/application profiles (not sure if that can help).

It's pretty instant for me when using alt+enter.

edit: just checked, took around 2 seconds either direction.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 02-26-2006 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe is right in that it'll take a while if you have a lot of custom media installed. I have several hundred maps in my baseq3 (about 2.5 GB worth of HD space) and Alt+Enter takes over 10 seconds to complete.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-26-2006 10:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
Alt+enter (and back) takes ages, even with Q3.

Actually, ioQ3 now uses SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen, so Alt-Enter is instant. :)

Now I just wish that TTimo wouldn't have blown me off when I asked him about making use of that SDL function in other Id (maintained) games. Oh well... at least Tremulous inherits the feature.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-26-2006 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

---

Last edited by Oeloe on 03-03-2006 08:25 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Timbo
Timbo
PostPosted: 02-27-2006 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lenard wrote:

What if the user has something bound to alt (+strafe) and tab (+scores)?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-27-2006 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Timbo wrote:
Lenard wrote:
Q3 keyboard only player alert! :icon30:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-02-2006 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Caffeine wrote:

BTW, it seems that the aforementioned SDL function does nothing in Windows. That sucks...

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 03-02-2006 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Timbo wrote:
Lenard wrote:

then they'll strafe (seriously, wtf?) and the scores will pop up for a second before they go windowed. in the reverse, i have alt as a sort of zoomy thing and shift as crouch... i end up with non-engrish kb configs all the time when i pull down the console and try to say something :> gg windows

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-02-2006 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Caffeine wrote:
Caffeine wrote:

BTW, it seems that the aforementioned SDL function does nothing in Windows. That sucks...
:confused: It works here with ioQ3. Edit: Oops you're right, it still requires a vid_restart. -_-

Last edited by Oeloe on 03-03-2006 08:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-03-2006 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
:confused: It works here with ioQ3.

Alt-Enter works, but apparently it still requires a vid_restart on Windows; SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen() fails and it falls back to the slower method.

More details.

Timbo
Timbo
PostPosted: 03-03-2006 03:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
then they'll strafe (seriously, wtf?) and the scores will pop up for a second before they go windowed. in the reverse, i have alt as a sort of zoomy thing and shift as crouch... i end up with non-engrish kb configs all the time when i pull down the console and try to say something :> gg windows

That was just an example. The moment you start imposing arbitrary caveats and restrictions on the keys that may be used (that weren't there in the first place) is the moment you start getting users complaining.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-03-2006 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scourge34 wrote:
edit: just checked, took around 2 seconds either direction.
That depends almost entirely on the map. Some maps take 10+ seconds to load. Others (dm17 for example) take a short time like 2 seconds.

Timbo
Timbo
PostPosted: 03-03-2006 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Caffeine wrote:
Alt-Enter works, but apparently it still requires a vid_restart on Windows; SDL_WM_ToggleFullScreen() fails and it falls back to the slower method.

The windows port doesn't use SDL at all (yet).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.