Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Q_strncpyz: NULL src

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q_strncpyz: NULL src

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I loaded Q3A on this computer that a friend gave me. It's got WindowsXP Professional w/ SP3. Only has 256 RAM though...which I put in. And 2 HDs...one 40 gig and one 120 gig. I get this error. Does this have something to do with the graphics? If I reinstall Open GL, will that fix it?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 10:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try reinstalling video card drivers. Also, what video card?

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know how to find that out. Is it listed here?

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm serious. I don't know this shi... stuff. If you only knew how many comps I've destroyed due to my ignorance. I just want to do this right so I can give it to my kid.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 05:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Download and install the latest directX, and make sure you put on the 1.32C patch from
ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/win32/

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DX isn't going to help you, Q3 uses OpenGL. Check here for a driver for your OS: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product ... ductID=798

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes mis, i agree.. though, not as an offical fix for this issue ( there hasnt been one for the time that i've been here ) it can sometimes get it.

i dont know why, i dont know how, but it has before.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 07:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will concur that it won't hurt. IIRC, some drivers for integrated video cards implement OpenGL as an emulation layer on top of DirectX.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As I recall, the 810 intel chipset's integrated video wouldn't do openGL, and wouldn't run Q3 at all (I could be wrong)

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, if none of this other stuff does it, should I just bite the bullit and get some GeForce into this dinosaur? I'll let you guys know what happens, with this, in two weeks. I'm off to SeaTown in the morning. Ciao.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At this point, the cheapest AGP gfx card you could buy will be beyond the bottlenenck of the cpu/chipset, so if your goal is just to get q3 running, I'd find some $20 card and do it.

If you're expecting anything more, don't waste your time/money.

Madman Philosophy
Madman Philosophy
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 08:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got another board around here somewhere...details when I return. Later.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-06-2008 10:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reinstall your GFX driver

make a clean wipe of it then install it again..

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.