Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        How to run a map

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How to run a map

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-13-2008 11:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, can anybody tell me how to run a map but in an actual combat scenario on Q3, because I have made lots of maps in radient and I can run them all fine in devmap mode, but how do you run it e.g. in deathmatch, with bots/other players because whenever I run a map (even in /map mode), when i test it for combat, and add bots,the console always says:

Fatal: AAS not initialized

Anarki: BotAISetupClient failed

I know what this means, but why? please reply

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-14-2008 03:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need to run bspc to create an .aas for your map: `bspc -bsp2aas -forcesidesvisible yourmap.bsp`

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-14-2008 06:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you supposed to type it into the console, that is what i did, it didn't work.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-14-2008 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Start -> Run -> cmd

Command line, not console.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-14-2008 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So it should look something like this:

"[path\to\bspc]\bspc.exe" -bsp2aas "[path\to\map]\mapname.bsp" -forcesidesvisible -optimize

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-15-2008 09:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, so you mean the command line in radient?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 06-15-2008 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, no. Not he command line in Radiant. The command line as in the operating system's user interface of choice before the advent of Windows.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-15-2008 10:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So you just type all of that into the cmd right. Just tell me before i accidentally ruin my pc.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-15-2008 10:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no offence, bye the way.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 06-15-2008 10:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, you aren't going to screw anything up.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-16-2008 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry, i tried it and it said: 'cannot find specified path. I will try again to see if it was a typo. U do mean just like what ^misantropia^ said? that is [exactly] what i typed.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-16-2008 09:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just copied in exactly what obsidian said (about the last post, i say: ^misantropia^, but i mean obsidian) and it still said the same. I also changed the map part to testfacility.bsp (my map). If it helps, my maps ARE in baseq3, not my own base directory.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-16-2008 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Double check the path to bspc.exe. Sound like cmd can't find bspc.exe. Use quotes if you are going to use long names, no quotes if you're going to use 8 character dos names.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-17-2008 01:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Since it seems to make problems using a cmd line (I myself had those for about 10 minutes until I had been able to figure out what exactly that damn thing wanted from me ;) ) here's the command that should finally help you - or destroy your self-esteem and let you burn your computer let's just see...
The trick is: Under XP and the like that nice cmd line is obviously not "intelligent" enough to understand a [space] between two terms as a [space] (that long stretched button on your keyboard >:) man kind rules, since we DO understand it!): So if ANYTHING included in your gamepath has such a [space] you have to delete it: best: replacing the [space] with [_] (an underscore) temporarily. After you got your .aas you can change the [_] back to [space].
So if your "Quake III Arena" is located in D:\ as a subdirectory of your "Games" folder, and GTKRadiant created a folder called "Radiant" including the bspc.exe into your Quake main folder, your cmd line has to look EXACTLY like THIS:

D:\Games\Quake_III_Arena\Radiant\bspc -bspc2aas D:\Games\Quake_III_Arena\baseq3\burp1.bsp

Explanation: This thing tells your computer to use the BSPC.exe located in D:\Games\Quake_III_Arena\Radiant\ to execute an BSPC2AAS action on your map (I just named this map burp1) located in your baseq3 folder.
The only thing left to be aware of is that you have to temporarily rename your "Quake III Arena" Folder to "Quake_III_Arena" as well as any other folders included in that cmd line. If you have your Quake installed into "Now who's cooking now" it has to be renamed to "Now_who's_cooking_now" and your line will look like this:

D:\Now_who's_cooking_now\Quake_III_Arena\Radiant\bspc -bspc2aas D:\Now_who's_cooking_now\Quake_III_Arena\baseq3\burp1.bsp

Any yeah there IS [space] used in that cmd line, so you'll also have to do this. After the first "bspc" and after "-bspcaas".
Now go show your map to some "I can win" bots and multi-humi them! >:D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-17-2008 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's absolute crock. You shouldn't need to rename your folders with underscores just to do a compile. Don't give people bad advice because you don't understand how the command line works. Windows XP recognizes spaces just fine.

Give Q3Map2Toolz a try:
http://hro.planetquake.gamespy.com/quake_3/?page_id=8

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 06-17-2008 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried what monaster said (i did actually change 'burp1') and it said the same. I also tried changing the drive D bit to drive c, coz that is my hard drive with all my stuff on. Yet again, it did'nt work. I followed the link obsidian posted, and i tried to download it, but it was a missing page (you know, an error, broken link,maintenance.) so i am gutted. any more suggestions? :question: :question: :question:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-17-2008 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-18-2008 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, that's how I got my first .aas :paranoid: and it worked fine especially with renaming since after that the WHOLE cmd line could be remembered by Windows. Before that it only executed my cmds to the first [space] inside the file path and didn't do anything else thus not creating an .aas.
Any suggestions why I got my desired bot file and obsidian absolute crock? :sly:

And sorry for the burp1, mcelf, I just wanted to give an example more understandable than "mapname". Of course it has to be your own genuine mapname inside the cmd line.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 11-13-2008 09:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can someone tell me were to get the BSPC for XP

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-13-2008 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No need to bump this thread when you've started your own. Just ask both questions in the same place.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.