Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        PHOTOS PLEASE

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: PHOTOS PLEASE

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck, I just went back in photoshop to start another picture, and realised I'd had a layer on that shot turned off before I'd saved. I hadn't even noticed.

Thanks for pointing it out, I wouldn't have checked anything if you hadn't said something, but the brightness of the shot was bugging me out a bit once you brought up how it looked.. I doubt you can tell much difference with the newer shot, but it's slightly darker in areas now.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-02-2011 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aye, I traded quality for monitor size. :shrug:

and I like your style, i just never seen it in a shot that was so busy in comparison to some previews things you posted, so it took me by surprise.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-03-2011 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i can't tell the difference, though that might be my monitor as well

nice pic though. surprised the site hasn't been torn down and 'regenerated' with generic chav storage units, aka flats

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 05-03-2011 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is that flat grey the natural color of the ceiling?

If not, I'd suggest changing it. Looks really fake to me for some reason. I find it distracting.

If it is the natural color... then fuck it. never mind. :smirk:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-03-2011 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck me the ceiling is the most irritating thing I've ever worked on. Nothing I do makes it look real. I left it hoping the intensity of the rest of the shot drew the eye from it.

I know what you mean though, once you notice it, you can't ignore it. I'll probably have another go at it later.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 05-03-2011 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:

Shot of some random room in an old industrial site I explored last year. I think I may have already posted this image, but it was some HDR shit-fest, and I've decided to reprocess all decent pictures properly without HDR.

:up:

Awesome pict.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-03-2011 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:
Fuck me the ceiling is the most irritating thing I've ever worked on. Nothing I do makes it look real. I left it hoping the intensity of the rest of the shot drew the eye from it.

I know what you mean though, once you notice it, you can't ignore it. I'll probably have another go at it later.

It may be since you're all photographer types the ceiling looks "off" and now it stands out when you look at the pic.

I love the shot. I didn't particularly notice the ceiling until you mentioned it.

I like the gray of the ceiling with the blues of the rest of the room. I look at it in terms of painting. The eye needs a place to "rest."

To me the ceiling balances the room perfectly.

Edit: Hope you don't mind, I made your pic my wallpaper at work. Who knows, maybe if I look at it long enough I'll see what's bothering you guys.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New toy.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wabbit wrote:
Yeahso wrote:

It may be since you're all photographer types the ceiling looks "off" and now it stands out when you look at the pic.

I love the shot. I didn't particularly notice the ceiling until you mentioned it.

I like the gray of the ceiling with the blues of the rest of the room. I look at it in terms of painting. The eye needs a place to "rest."

To me the ceiling balances the room perfectly.

Edit: Hope you don't mind, I made your pic my wallpaper at work. Who knows, maybe if I look at it long enough I'll see what's bothering you guys.

Ah, cool, glad you like. Please, go for your life, it's a huge compliment that you'd want it as your wallpaper, and thanks for asking permission.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I redesigned my website a couple of days ago. tore the whole thing down and then built a new one in a day.

Obviously, being a day's work, it's basically shit, but I wouldn't mind some feedback about colours.

http://john-godwin.co.uk

My girlfriend is complaining that the "godwin" portion is too dark on her monitor, but I'm hoping it's just her shitty work screen. Can anyone else see it OK?

Also, what does everyone think about the general look and feel. I'm trying to keep it minimalist, so as to concentrate on the content, but not so minimalist that it looks like sparse.

What do you think? Anything you'd add/change?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your links up top show up twice in some pages... is that by design?

edit:

your last name is fine.

Last edited by Tsakali on 05-04-2011 02:12 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:
Ah, cool, glad you like. Please, go for your life, it's a huge compliment that you'd want it as your wallpaper, and thanks for asking permission.

I won't share it or upload it. All positive responses from the people that have happened to see my desktop.

I guess it's true of every photograph but my co-worker tonight said your picture was "time frozen."

Fyi, I've used a couple of pictures out of this thread as my desktop, but have not uploaded or shared any of them with anyone else.

Peace.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 02:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-also, when you click galleries what "gallery" is it that loads first, cause it seems once you choose one of the two options at the bottom , there is no way to get back to that original gallery that loads up

-also how come the about, contact, main, and legal pages only show up as options only when you click BLOG?
it feels disconnected and messy, if by design.

- also "home" and "main" are not very descriptive. I was under the impression that those two are used interchangeably in most websites, as they kinda mean the same thing. also home under blog doesn't bring you to the assumed "home" of your main page. it's confusing.

see if you can name links like " main" and " home" a little more descriptively. I think you meant to say blog home, but it's not an obvious thing to a visitor.

I am not commenting on your design cause it's simple enough to be safe.

Last edited by Tsakali on 05-04-2011 02:29 PM, edited 4 times in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso,

I clicked on your link (I'm at work) and I get a red x. I clicked the red x and I see the "John Godwin" front page. Godwin is so dark on my crappy work machine that you miss it at first. I admit to kindof liking it though because you have to look twice to see it.

I wanted to see your pics but when I click on gallery it says downloading but the screen stays black. No pics. Am I doing something wrong?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
-also, when you click galleries what "gallery" is it that loads first, cause it seems once you choose one of the two options at the bottom , there is no way to get back to that original gallery that loads up

-also how come the about, contact, main, and legal pages only show up as options only when you click BLOG?

- also "home" and "main" are not very descriptive. I was under the impression that those two are used interchangeably in most websites, as they kinda mean the same thing. also home under blog doesn't bring you to the assumed "home" of your main page. it's confusing.

see if you can name links like " main" and " home" a little more descriptively. I think you meant to say blog home, but it's not an obvious thing to a visitor.

Thanks dude, didn't notice the two links at the top!

Forgot to mention to ignore the blog, currently redesigning it. If you want to navigate back to original page, you just click "work". It's three sections, Work, Personal 1 and Personal 2. Think I should make it a bit more obvious somehow?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wabbit wrote:
Yeahso,

I clicked on your link (I'm at work) and I get a red x. I clicked the red x and I see the "John Godwin" front page. Godwin is so dark on my crappy work machine that you miss it at first. I admit to kindof liking it though because you have to look twice to see it.

I wanted to see your pics but when I click on gallery it says downloading but the screen stays black. No pics. Am I doing something wrong?

Damn, I really have no idea, are you using IE? If so, I kind of gave up trying to get it to work.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, blog is having a complete redesign soon as is going to be more in line with rest of site.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:
Tsakali wrote:

Thanks dude, didn't notice the two links at the top!

Forgot to mention to ignore the blog, currently redesigning it. If you want to navigate back to original page, you just click "work". It's three sections, Work, Personal 1 and Personal 2. Think I should make it a bit more obvious somehow?

ahh, I didn't see the separator between the two words. give that vettical line a darker color so it is easy to distinguish between the two, for morons like me.. Or separate them a little more appart so it doesn't look like a continuing phrase.. Or to make it even better give the chosen category a dark brown background like the area housing the pictures. you can have the drk gray/brown connecting with the container on top of it so it really drives the point across, and it goes well with your styling. Because right now there is no indication of what gallery is loaded. I know it's kinda silly but I like things like that, so do most visitors.

Last edited by Tsakali on 05-04-2011 03:20 PM, edited 6 times in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great site and great photos. Sites like these need to be simple, fast and effective. No one wants to fuck around clicking through 600 links to see some content. You've nailed it in this regard and the layout is effective. The server itself seems a touch slow from my end but maybe that's just because its going from UK -> North America.

Is there any way of buying a large print of any of these? There's some cool shit in the personals section that I'd pay money for.

EDIT: BTW, the name on the first page shows up just fine for me. *shrug*

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 03:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

on second thought, your last name in the splash page is fine, but once smaller up top, it is a little too dark. As far as your wife's monitor goes, I'm sure it's more indicative of most people's monitors. The fact that it gets too hard to notice once it's towards the top of the screen is no coincidence.

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 05:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Decided to see if the moon was out, and sure enough it was... so I hooked the body up to the telescope and shot some pictures with it for the first time. The telescope is an $80 cheap-o 700mm telescope but it's kinda neat. The tripod for it is shit... have to use a rubber band to hold everything together and it is soooo unstable :)

I think they came out so-so... full moon is in a couple weeks and I'll get more then. Also there's a shit ton of light pollution from my balcony.

The next two are at 24mm with a lens

This one was a 30sec exposure and a plane flew across :D

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 05:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool shots andy. I have a telescope at home too... much fun to look at the moon. Not for too long though or your eye gets fucking owned by the light :olo: Can pretty much any telescope be clamped onto a half-decent camera or only certain types? I've always wanted to take shots with my scope... not sure how many mm it is, but those shots of the moon you took look about the same as what I see when I look through my scope.

PostPosted: 05-04-2011 05:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used these to hook them together:
http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-T-Mount-Ad ... 538&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-93625-U ... 538&sr=8-1

And I just found the 2x adapter for the telescope and the adapter fits into that too so the next time I do some moon shots I'll hook that up as well and see what happens :) I've looked at a full moon on this scope with the 2x piece and the tiny 9mm eyepiece and the mofo was HUGE... it was fun to watch it slowly move through the viewfinder, I started imagining it sounded like a giant ship

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the time exposed plane stole the show. you should stalk an airport take off/ landing strip and get some cool shots :up:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-04-2011 06:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good shit.. thanks for the links andy :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-05-2011 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:

ahh, I didn't see the separator between the two words. give that vettical line a darker color so it is easy to distinguish between the two, for morons like me.. Or separate them a little more appart so it doesn't look like a continuing phrase.. Or to make it even better give the chosen category a dark brown background like the area housing the pictures. you can have the drk gray/brown connecting with the container on top of it so it really drives the point across, and it goes well with your styling. Because right now there is no indication of what gallery is loaded. I know it's kinda silly but I like things like that, so do most visitors.

Thanks dude, good ideas, I'm going to make it all a bit clearer. Even if one person fails to notice it it's not worth it being that way it I can make it so nobody misses it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-05-2011 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Great site and great photos. Sites like these need to be simple, fast and effective. No one wants to fuck around clicking through 600 links to see some content. You've nailed it in this regard and the layout is effective. The server itself seems a touch slow from my end but maybe that's just because its going from UK -> North America.

Is there any way of buying a large print of any of these? There's some cool shit in the personals section that I'd pay money for.

EDIT: BTW, the name on the first page shows up just fine for me. *shrug*

Yeah, server is slow as hell, I need to switch providers once I get round to it. Gets even worse at night for me.

I used ot sell prints, but it was a bit too much of a hassle having it all done and arranging postage etc.. Costs started to soar once you went international.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-05-2011 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shot I recently reprocessed from an abandoned mental asylum I was at last year. See if you can spot the rats.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-05-2011 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa, it's like you put them there, they line up rather excellently. Good stuff :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-05-2011 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i can see the flying and non-flying kind

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-05-2011 10:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Whoa, it's like you put them there, they line up rather excellently. Good stuff :up:

lol, yeah the rats and pigeon are comped in.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-05-2011 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, the spider's web at the back is composited, too.

PostPosted: 05-06-2011 06:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's slowly coming around, the more moonlight, the higher shutter speed so that's always good... this cheap ass telescope stripped it's mounting screw as I was setting up so I stacked a bunch of boxes and shit and came out with some ok images. I am juuuuust about to pull the trigger on a new scope and tripod BUT i want to sleep on it because it will probably be $600. and that's kind of a lot... but I do love taking pictures of the night sky

The 2x adapter wouldn't work, too flimsy and it threw off the focus range to a point where I couldn't focus.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-06-2011 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that proves it! we never went to the moon.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-07-2011 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An abandoned Victorian water pumping station in east London

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.