Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Ok, all you astrophysicists...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Ok, all you astrophysicists...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't quite grasp the concept of looking at galaxies and other objects which are at the beginning of their life after the big bang.  So these objects are closer than we are to the origin of the big bang?  How would we be father away and yet not as old as these objects?  It would make sense to me, the farther away from the location of the big bang, the older you would be.  Could you clear this up?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I can't quite grasp the concept of looking at galaxies and other objects which are at the beginning of their life after the big bang.  So these objects are closer than we are to the origin of the big bang?  How would we be father away and yet not as old as these objects?  It would make sense to me, the farther away from the location of the big bang, the older you would be.  Could you clear this up?

Light travels from point a to point b. What you see is light. If light takes x number of years to travel from point a to point b then people on point b are seeing what happened x years ago.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, I actually tried to ask Neil this question during his last AMA on reddit. But it's impossible to get past the other hundreds of questions for him...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Galaxies, stars and planets weren't all formed at the same time after the Big Bang. It just marks the beginning of anything. Besides, you hardly have time to worry about these things seeing as how the LHC is going to create a black hole and kill us all anyway.

Neil would have facepalmed.

Last edited by obsidian on 03-20-2012 07:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient

i see dumbos...EVERYWHERE!!!...

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
lol, I actually tried to ask Neil this question during his last AMA on reddit.

LEAVE NEIL ALONE!!1 >:'-(

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Galaxies, stars and planets weren't all formed at the same time after the Big Bang. It just marks the beginning of anything. Besides, you hardly have time to worry about these things seeing as how the LHC is going to create a black hole and kill us all anyway.

Neil would have facepalmed.

also, their mass influences the speed at which they travel through space. we could be younger but still have taken them over.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Light travels from point a to point b. What you see is light. If light takes x number of years to travel from point a to point b then people on point b are seeing what happened x years ago.

I've always understood that. I don't think you understand what I'm asking. I think obsidian gets it better...

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 08:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:

:olo: NAILED IT.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why does Australia have all the weird-as-fuck creatures? It's like aliens visited the continent and left behind their petting zoo.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 08:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not cool to talk about the abbos that way, bro.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:(

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

abbos are fucking ugly ppl...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 08:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, so the Milky Way is around 13 billion years old, and we are looking at a galaxy that is only 500,000 old. The astrophysicists say "We are looking at an object that was created only 500,000 years after the big bang.". Yet we are farther away from the big bang. Shouldn't it have expanded away from the big bang for the other 12,999,500,000 years? It's hard to explain. I'm sure I'm just confusing myself. Not sure though...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

holy shit moron...stfu...

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 09:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Ok, so the Milky Way is around 13 billion years old, and we are looking at a galaxy that is only 500,000 old. The astrophysicists say "We are looking at an object that was created only 500,000 years after the big bang.". Yet we are farther away from the big bang. Shouldn't it have expanded away from the big bang for the other 12,999,500,000 years? It's hard to explain. I'm sure I'm just confusing myself. Not sure though...

Inflation. Space can actually travel faster than the speed of light. Because its space, fuck you.

So at the big bang, you have quantum fluctuations that trigger the release of positive, kinetic inflationary energy. That point of space nearly instantly expands by unfathomable amounts (many times the speed of light). Like heat is the byproduct of most releases of energy we know, matter was the byproduct of this energy release. So you get a uniform spread of matter across a huge area (an infinite area with finite time from our perspective, a finite area with infinite time from outside the bubble). After inflation happened, the only force pushing galaxies out is dark energy fighting against gravity.

To answer your question directly, yes the galaxy has been "expanded away from the big bang for the other 12,999,500,000 years". But we can't see that light yet. We can only see the picture that was taken when the light that is just now reaching us, left that galaxy. Imagine watching a football game by having someone mail you a stream of poloroid shots. You'll eventually see the entire game as it happened, but you've got to account for the delay of the postal system. You aren't watching it in real time.

Last edited by bitWISE on 03-20-2012 09:39 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Xeros, here is the thing... everything is expanding from everything else at same rate. So technically you are the center of the universe and everything in it is expanding away from you. I hope this helps.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect ... nsion.html

Check that out and "The two dimensional analogy". The balloon analogy helped me understand space expansion, even though it isn't a perfect analogy.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"farther away from the big bang"

oh lawdy

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 09:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:

quote for truth

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I can't quite grasp the concept...

So what else is new?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 07:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There you are! :)

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-20-2012 08:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
i see dumbos...EVERYWHERE!!!...

Then shut the laundry door.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

So am I to understand that you made this thread - with the whole forum laughing at your stupidity - just to get me to post in it?

Wow...you really...like..owned me....or sumthin...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He means you're predictable.

Predictable and slow apparently. Lol...thinking it's about you.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 10:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
xer0s wrote:

So am I to understand that you made this thread - with the whole forum laughing at your stupidity - just to get me to post in it?

Wow...you really...like..owned me....or sumthin...

lol, it's all about you...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
lol, it's all about you...

In all fairness you've made threads for me in the past...I was just playing the odds. :p

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EtUL wrote:
He means you're predictable.

Well I guess that means everyone is predictable when it comes to trying to answer the questions of morons: we all laugh at them.

EtUL wrote:
Lol...thinking it's about you.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet 100 posts that xer0s did in fact think of me when he pressed the Submit button when creating this tripe...so I doubt I'm actually wrong about this.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 11:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why would anyone think otherwise? I just said, it's all about you...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.