Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 05:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Contagion 7/10

Fuck you, asshole.

Last edited by xer0s on 10-12-2011 06:05 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 05:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There, i made it go away :p

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good thing xer0s quoted it in his own post :dork:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 06:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There, I made it go away. :p

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

Robot Boxing should be a real sport...instead of current pro boxing.

Could be very very interesting. Repair costs wouldn't be an issue, you could have regular matches even on a weekly basis. Would really help to setup some kind of proper elimination based championship much like other sports, without having to spread it out 2 or 3 years at a time.

Nah, sounds kinda stupid

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Columbiana - 2/10

A boring soundtrack and boring cinematography make a predictable story held together by a few thoroughly uninspiring and implausible action sequences even more boring.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 10:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That so-called Robot Wars was remote control car wars really; it wasn't robots fighting they were all remote controlled, by the contestants. Pretty sad that they kept calling them robots.

Japan has real robot fights already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ZFHgxHJsA

They also do robot football (soccer to you Americans). One robot making/training team says they aim to have a team able to take on and beat a human team in the not-too-distant future (they said what year).

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Contagion 7/10

Oh, and they fail to deliver a righteous sense of complete society breakdown when a hefty percentage of the population dies off, that was rather disappointing (seeing as that's possibly the only reason i enjoy watching movies like this). Still giving it a 7/10, i feel effort was made and what the hell, it wasn't terrible.

You are being too generous...and probably suck cocks on Tuesdays behind the dumpster. You filthy whore.

The whole reason this film falls flat is precisely because you don't really see any societal breakdown that makes you aware of how dire the situation is. There is no real human connection with the consequences of the disease other than a few select characters. To me as a viewer, the X million people who died don't matter at all because there was no reinforcement of the sense of urgency I was supposed to feel. And the quick montage at the end of how the disease actually came into human contact was the last slap in the face of any mystery or interest I had in the film.

IMHO I think this genre is dead.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 10-12-2011 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Contagion was fucking awful, completely failed in making you care about any of the characters yet at the same time somehow making it unenjoyable when millions of Americans die. It was a movie about shared guilt.

edit: some good synergy with my signature there

Last edited by feedback on 10-13-2011 04:23 AM, edited 1 time in total.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 12:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i started spec'ing sons of anarchy why i dont know lol its like an addictive soap oprea.

also boardwalk empire stated up again thats really good. sancuary too

i'm still spec'in the "have gun will travel"s
those are soooo awesome, almost done tho :( going to move to Maverick or gunsmoke maybe next.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
You are being too generous...and probably suck cocks on Tuesdays behind the dumpster. You filthy whore.

What can i say, i was in a good mood when i watched it and in a good mood when i wrote that. So yes, my rating is probably being way too generous. On the other hand... so much utter shit has been produced in this genre that this comes off as not bad, it did to me at least. I always try to rate a movie in it's genre, sortakinda.

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
The whole reason this film falls flat is precisely because you don't really see any societal breakdown that makes you aware of how dire the situation is. There is no real human connection with the consequences of the disease other than a few select characters. To me as a viewer, the X million people who died don't matter at all because there was no reinforcement of the sense of urgency I was supposed to feel. And the quick montage at the end of how the disease actually came into human contact was the last slap in the face of any mystery or interest I had in the film.

Very true, although i could certainly have done without extra drama on the side. In fact i found the lack of drama quite refreshing, it was all deliciously clinical and it could have really worked somehow if it was a smarter movie.

But yeah, some wrapup on how utterly fucked the world would be if a more than percentage of the population dies in the space of a month would have been nice. Homerobberies, really? Weakness. They should have done a quick montage of food riots / massive looting / wars instead of that lazy montage at the end.

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
IMHO I think this genre is dead.

Aww, i hope not... i do enjoy the genre as a whole :(

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess the reason the genre is dead to me is that there hasn't been a decent attempt since "Outbreak". Besides, watching Laurence Fishburne stand in front of a podium telling the world in a monotone voice that the world is in trouble and everyone's genitals are about to fall off isn't exactly engaging cinema.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 10-13-2011 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you ever seen fire in zero gravity? It's beautiful.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-13-2011 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if by beautiful you mean totally uneventful and short lived then yes.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 10:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Phantom of the Opera - Live at the Royal Albert Hall.

Simply magical.

Look I am so, so lucky to have seen the stage play/musicals a couple of times each and add a movie or two, but this is something else.

PS: Do stay 'till the very end of the credits so as not to miss the history lesson :D from Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Some chumps :olo: left at the first sign it had ended and missed 15 or 20 minutes of extras :smirk:

spoiler
4 of the Phantoms on stage singing
/spoiler

Another video here and perhaps a better overall look

9.5/10 and a must see

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-17-2011 06:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lost - 9/10

I know it's not a movie, but what the hell. This show was awesome. We started watching it from the beginning probably 3 months ago and finally finished episode 120. Really glad I watched it. I'm going to have to read a synopsis so I can tie up some loose ends I'm curious about. But what a great show. J.J. is good...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-31-2011 02:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In Time - 5/10

another good idea intellectually robbed and brutally raped.

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 11-01-2011 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain America the 1st Avenger: 4/10 The character and everything around him is just not interesting. Pacing, action, dialogue....snoozefest.

Thor: 7/10 FUCKING JOTUNHEIM!!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-02-2011 02:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wall-E

A PIXAR classic and entertaining enough for sure :)

IMDB

8/10

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-07-2011 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
In Time - 5/10

another good idea intellectually robbed and brutally raped.

Totally agreed. I actually burst out laughing in that one scene where Justin Timberlake pops up wearing sunglasses and looking all serious and shit...I was positive he was going to dance. But yeah...great concept but devoid of anything that didn't make you want to retch in the third act.

The Change Up = 6.5/10 - Typical claptrap but a genuinely funny movie. I maintained my erection for every second that Oliva Wilde was on-screen. That's two movies in a row with Olivia Wilde looking hot. :up:

Giggity giggity giggity goo! Alright!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-10-2011 09:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Drive - 9/10

There is a furious intensity throughout the movie even though the main character wears a terminator style aloof expression in every single scene, even as he's stomping a hitman's face in, right after locking lips with his girlfriend with her watching. The irony is that he wears a similar expressionless rubber mask in a number of scenes. But I think that's what's so cool about this movie is exactly the lack of emotion he shows, he lets you feel all the suspense and tension while he shrugs it off. The movie is like watching Steve McQueen and Clint Eastwood - cold, hard, ruthless men who does what it takes to kill the bad guys, though Ryan Gosling is a bit too 'boyish' to really fill those shoes.

It's well directed and I loved the feel of the movie, it's stark and there isn't a million special effects and explosions. Just simple muscle car chases and crashes, Bullitt style. It's a bit of a throwback to when movies didn't need all the CG, though I think the gore would have been better off if it was merely suggested.

Oh, and cool soundtrack and Christina Hendricks!

Battle Los Angeles - 4/10

It's like Black Hawk Down meets Independence Day, but in a really bad mix. Independence Day was fun to watch because it doesn't take itself too seriously, it's just a fun action movie about aliens invading earth. Black Hawk Down has the whole shaky cam, muted colours, documentary-ish effect for a serious movie about real life events. But mixing the two and you have an alien invasion movie that pretends it's serious and plausible when it clearly is not, so it's just stupid.

You also don't really care for any of the characters so you don't really care if they make it or not. I actually felt more for the aliens, in one scene a couple of grunts decided that the aliens must have a hierarchy and that the lower aliens were probably just like them taking orders and wondering if the aliens "feel fear just like us". Then right after, they catch one of the poor buggers and dissects it alive by hacking at it with a knife to learn if they have any weak points in their anatomy. Seriously, humans deserve to be wiped out.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

30 Minutes Or Less = 2/10 - Not funny in the slightest.

Our Idiot Brother = 3/10 - Another movie labeled as a "comedy" that isn't funny at all.

Conan The Barbarian = 2/10 - Great production design, horrible acting, dumb action and a boring story. I can see why Hollywood just NEEDED to make this movie...to prove that remakes aren't worth anyone's time or money and to prove beyond a doubt that the Arnie Conan movie was a million times better.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-13-2011 08:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A Clockwork Orange 9/10

Finally got around to watching this classic. Amazingly bizarre...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 01:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heartbreak Ridge - 5 / 10

Might have been a decent enough watch back in the '80s. Wasn't too impressed with it though.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 11-14-2011 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ides of March: 7/10

Really interesting performances, especially Philip Seymour Hoffman.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-18-2011 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got me a few Stephen Rea DVD's lately as I re-watched the first film on following list:

"Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" - 7 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112491/
"Citizen X" -8- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112681/
"Stuck" -6- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758786/

I just wanted to nod my head to this guy for being such a great actor. If you missed out on him, I'd strongly recommend any of those 3 films, especially CX.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-18-2011 11:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Mist.

Fairly low budget B-movie esque horror from about 2007 about beasties attacking some townspeople holed up in a supermarket, the CGI is a bit shit but the characters are really well acted and make lots of human error and subsequently get punished for their stupidity so I liked it. Has a about three members of The Walking Dead cast in it who are much better in this than in that.

Rather surprisingly good/10

I reckon you'd enjoy this Ryoki :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-18-2011 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Harry Potter and the Deathly Bollocks Pt 1: 5/10

"Voldemort has no nose."
"How does he smell?"
"Terrible."

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-18-2011 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Got me a few Stephen Rea DVD's lately as I re-watched the first film on following list:

"Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea" - 7 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112491/
"Citizen X" -8- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112681/
"Stuck" -6- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758786/

I just wanted to nod my head to this guy for being such a great actor. If you missed out on him, I'd strongly recommend any of those 3 films, especially CX.

he was also pretty good in The Shadow Line (TV) as a creepy assassin

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 08:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gone with the Wind

Yep, the classic. Got to love that Scarlet ;)

$4M to make in 1939 and grossed over $400M, near 4 hours long.

9/10

IMDB Wiki Clicky

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 01:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Under Seige - 10/10

Fucking brilliant!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 02:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hurt locker
meh

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.