Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        Can't get ioQuake3 to look like Quake Live

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Can't get ioQuake3 to look like Quake Live

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-16-2014 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use pretty much the same config with the same fov (see below) and everything for both Quake Live and ioQuake3, but they don't look the same. ioQuake3 looks like crap - the fov doesn't look right and the crosshair is much bigger and pixellated. I set r_customheight 1080, r_customwidth 1920, and r_mode -1, other than that I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know what is causing this? I'm not sure if it's relevant, but my graphics card is a Radeon HD 6850.

Quake 3 Config: http://pastebin.com/KgQSWzJp
Quake Live Config: http://pastebin.com/ndbSxJtx

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 02:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I know that the Quake Live and ioQuake clients are quite different from each other. A lot of additional changes were made to Quake Live, so I guess it's not entirely possible to make them look exactly the same.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 03:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They might have set a lower limit on the FOV; I read on the IOQ3 site that its programmers intend for it to not be for compettitive gaming at all "just for fun" or some such ignorant proclamation. That makes it basically a novelty item rather than a game people can take seriously.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 05:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
some such ignorant proclamation.

wtf dude

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has DTS been lobotomized? He seems even more "durrr" than normal.

Back on topic, IOQ3 isn't QL. IOQ3 offers a series of source code updates to fix long time issues from Q3, provide a bunch of new features, and to provide an updated platform for mods and stand-alone projects. IIRC, it does not include any new assets (textures, models, etc.) to the game, so for stuff like crosshairs you'll have to provide your own image.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 06:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Has DTS been lobotomized? He seems even more "durrr" than normal.

Back on topic, IOQ3 isn't QL. IOQ3 offers a series of source code updates to fix long time issues from Q3, provide a bunch of new features, and to provide an updated platform for mods and stand-alone projects. IIRC, it does not include any new assets (textures, models, etc.) to the game, so for stuff like crosshairs you'll have to provide your own image.

Yeah ioQuake is just the source code, not any game assets.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, sorry, I was confusing it with OpenArena, which uses IOQ3.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 08:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still doesn't make your comment any less dumb.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sooo... not lobotomized, just the usual amount of durrr.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Caje wrote:
I use pretty much the same config with the same fov (see below) and everything for both Quake Live and ioQuake3, but they don't look the same. ioQuake3 looks like crap - the fov doesn't look right and the crosshair is much bigger and pixellated. I set r_customheight 1080, r_customwidth 1920, and r_mode -1, other than that I'm not sure what to do. Does anyone know what is causing this? I'm not sure if it's relevant, but my graphics card is a Radeon HD 6850.

Quake 3 Config: http://pastebin.com/KgQSWzJp
Quake Live Config: http://pastebin.com/ndbSxJtx

Q3 was made before widescreen became popular. Back then practically everyone used 4:3 monitors so they didn't even think about adding support for wider aspect ratios. That means that the FOV is calculated to fit a 640x480 box, so it gets stretched shitlessly on 16:9 etc., hence the distortion and strange-looking weapon view. Same story with the UI including the crosshair. It's beyond me why those involved in ioq3 development haven't caught a wake up in that regard. On that note I am planning to release an engine mod that fixes the above issues, among a host of other things. Here's a test build for now (source available on request): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m1fqwfg133k5 ... .1test.zip

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because I don't think it's within IOQ3's scope to fix game assets. They are strictly updating source code for the purpose of fixing bugs and making it easily forkable for other open source projects. IOQ3 is about creating a stable platform for other developers, not about creating an updated Q3A game. Assets and UI updates would not benefit other open source projects as they would just dump all that out and make their own specific stuff anyway. It's up to another mod team to update assets and UI for Q3.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies!

themuffinman wrote:

Q3 was made before widescreen became popular. Back then practically everyone used 4:3 monitors so they didn't even think about adding support for wider aspect ratios. That means that the FOV is calculated to fit a 640x480 box, so it gets stretched shitlessly on 16:9 etc., hence the distortion and strange-looking weapon view. Same story with the UI including the crosshair. It's beyond me why those involved in ioq3 development haven't caught a wake up in that regard. On that note I am planning to release an engine mod that fixes the above issues, among a host of other things. Here's a test build for now (source available on request): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m1fqwfg133k5 ... .1test.zip

That works perfectly, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! Do you have a mailing list or something I could subscribe to for updates?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 10:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Because I don't think it's within IOQ3's scope to fix game assets. They are strictly updating source code for the purpose of fixing bugs and making it easily forkable for other open source projects. IOQ3 is about creating a stable platform for other developers, not about creating an updated Q3A game. Assets and UI updates would not benefit other open source projects as they would just dump all that out and make their own specific stuff anyway. It's up to another mod team to update assets and UI for Q3.

It's not about updating assets, it's about adapting the renderer to support aspect ratios other than 4:3. No assets need to be adapted for that, it's just an hour inconvenient renderer limitation and something that could be fixed through code changes.

On another note, ioq3 also added support for mp3 and/or OGG audio files. While not offering assets in that format there, the added support is helpful to developers who want to use ioq3 as a base for their own game.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 04-23-2014 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.wolfcamql.fr/en

Download Wolfcam 10.3 ... copy all of your Quake Live baseq3 files over to the baseq3 within Wolfcam, and you can play Quake Live offline against bots ... you can even play the custom maps at ..::LvL in it .. it's pretty sweet to play Q3 custom maps with the Quake Live hud/lightning trail/etc. .. you can even load in the Team Arena maps because it supports the Nailgun,Prox Launcher, and Chaingun for the Quake Live maps. It's too bad that they haven't made it so that we can play it online against others, but that'd be like cheating the system I suppose. It's too bad that ID Software doesn't do a 1.33 point release and update Q3A to be Quake Live =P

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-08-2014 10:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:

When I try to start a game using your fix with Defrag, ioQuake3 crashes and I get "Error: Too many cvars, cannot create a new one!. Copy console log to clipboard?" Any ideas?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 09-13-2014 10:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd love to have the QuakeLive HUD in Q3a, do you guys know how?
And maybe also this menu:
That's actually the main menu of QuakeLive when it's launched completely offline and without the browser mode.

v1l3 wrote:
http://www.wolfcamql.fr/en
Download Wolfcam 10.3 ..and you can play Quake Live offline against bots

No, you can't. You can play demos recorded in QL, but that's it.

To launch QuakeLive.exe offline follow this simple guide.
And you can play any Q3A maps in QuakeLive no need for no 3rd party loader like wolfcam (that only plays demos).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.