Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        A warning for US XBox 360 owners

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: A warning for US XBox 360 owners

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 12:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you install the new dashboard update you're asked to accept a terms of service agreement which forbids you to take Microsoft to court:

http://kotaku.com/5865797/now-microsoft ... m-to-court

The article also gives you a way of getting out of the agreement, but it involves writing a letter to Microsoft. I strongly suggest you do this if you've accepted the agreement or are going to. Even if it's just to send the message that this kind of shit doesn't fly.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 12:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bitches.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 12:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

L O L

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 03:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Exactly the same as what Sony did then. LOL America etc

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol consoles

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 06:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lots of apps now....takes forever for shit to run on Xbox...kinda gay...

only think Xbox is good fo is Netflix and rock band...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 06:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They won't get away with this!!!

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we still haven't got our $1800 back from the hacking situation...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Console gaming is dead.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 09:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
lots of apps now....takes forever for shit to run on Xbox...kinda gay...

only think Xbox is good fo is Netflix and rock band...

I thought u didn't have an xbox...u got more surprises coming up?...u got a pussy instead of a cock? moron alert...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 09:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol...Fucktard is here...watch this thread balloon to 4 pages in the next 10 minutes.

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...or should I leave u pissants with your usual lingo which results in zero traffic in here?...if this thread ballons up to 55 pages, are u gonna eat it? rofl way to go fatso...

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 09:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...any of u complete fucking retards want to play gears 3 arcade tonight with the greatest video game player of all-time?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Duhard wrote:
I thought u didn't have an xbox...u got more surprises coming up?...u got a pussy instead of a cock? moron alert...

u thought wrong...but my kids use it...cept for rock band...but this kids seem to like computer games better....maybe they aint retards after all...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 11:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

btw...i win...next...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 11:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
we still haven't got our $1800 back from the hacking situation...

somebody guessing your password is not being hacked, mornan

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no...it took 26 days to investigate then 30 more to cut a check....so they can make interest off money im sure...

Give Me Love
Give Me Love
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 03:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what kind of fag would care about something like this?

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 03:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well it's a good thing cause all the jellus noobs will no longer be able to sue me for being the man who completely fucking smashes their emotions online...gg m$

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 04:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Big Kahuna Burger wrote:
what kind of fag would care about something like this?

lol exactly...

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 04:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's gayer than ever imho...took me 15 minutes to log on this morning and we couldn't get a game going without going into the 360 menu...good game microsoft morons...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think those kind of clauses have been brought up in court and deemed to be bullshit (legal term) but I could be wrong. If they haven't someone should bring it up. It's a crock that they can change the TOS on you that much when you already have the system, I thought the PS3 one was bullshit but my mum's love of netflix won out and I just agreed to it for her so she could watch cake boss.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 12:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EtUL wrote:
I think those kind of clauses have been brought up in court and deemed to be bullshit (legal term) but I could be wrong. If they haven't someone should bring it up.

I think it hasn't been exposed to a court yet so there's no jurisprudence about it yet. And yes, someone should provoke a trial about it and I hope it'll go down in flames then.

EtUL wrote:
It's a crock that they can change the TOS on you that much when you already have the system, I thought the PS3 one was bullshit but my mum's love of netflix won out and I just agreed to it for her so she could watch cake boss.

I think they can, because you don't have to agree to the TOS, but then you can't install the latest system update. I assume that you can simply continue using the device as you always have if you don't install the latest dash update. If not installing the update is not an option, or it means you can no longer use the device as before (even if that means you miss out on future games that depend on features of the dashboard update) then I think you've got a case. But then again, Sony got away with removing the OtherOS option from the PS3 so who knows what kind of shit they can force down your throat.

I think that in Europe, however, such terms (deny users the use of a court) are not allowed due to European legislation.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 06:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been reading this article about the new dashboard and one thing that strikes me as odd for me as a (non-UK) European console owner is that it centers so much around the XBox being a media platform.

Because in all honest, all the fancy features like last.fm and the video streaming services like Netflix or Sky TV aren't available here (as far as I know). I don't use my XBox as a media center because I can't. Sure I can pop in a DVD or rent a movie through the Zune service on there, but that's about it, isn't it?

I hate to think that I have to switch four tabs to reach the "I want to play my goddamn game" button (like the article states) because that's basically all I do with the console.

I might just go and enable the boot-straight-to-game option if that's the case (and if that option still is there).

And let's not get started on the Kinect centric design of it all :puke:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 06:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I live in Canada and I can't get netflix either. pisses me off.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 06:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think the neqw dashboard works pretty well actually. i never used any of the home streaming awesomeness either (because i cant), but this update makes the dashboard a whole lot more responsive and streamlined.
also, switching four tabs to get to 'play game'? its selected by default as it always has?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 06:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I live in Canada and I have Netflix.

Also, I use my Xbox more for my 1080p movie collection than gaming. The third-party Media Browser Service turns the shitty Xbox Media Center into a great little movie collector, plus it plays everything from AVI to MKV.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, yeah, that thing about writing a letter to Microsoft to get out of the agreement doesn't actually work.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... er-all.ars

Also, it sounds like it's a required update for Xbox LIVE. Your only option is to stop using LIVE or stop using your Xbox entirely.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
EtUL wrote:
I think those kind of clauses have been brought up in court and deemed to be bullshit (legal term) but I could be wrong. If they haven't someone should bring it up.

I think it hasn't been exposed to a court yet so there's no jurisprudence about it yet. And yes, someone should provoke a trial about it and I hope it'll go down in flames then.

EtUL wrote:
It's a crock that they can change the TOS on you that much when you already have the system, I thought the PS3 one was bullshit but my mum's love of netflix won out and I just agreed to it for her so she could watch cake boss.

I think they can, because you don't have to agree to the TOS, but then you can't install the latest system update. I assume that you can simply continue using the device as you always have if you don't install the latest dash update. If not installing the update is not an option, or it means you can no longer use the device as before (even if that means you miss out on future games that depend on features of the dashboard update) then I think you've got a case. But then again, Sony got away with removing the OtherOS option from the PS3 so who knows what kind of shit they can force down your throat.

I think that in Europe, however, such terms (deny users the use of a court) are not allowed due to European legislation.

With the PS3 you have to log into the PSN to use Hulu or Netflix or any of that, so not updating essentially cuts you off from any internet stuff with the device. Bullshit.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 10:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or u could just xbox and not sue microsoft...

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if u like this mess then you're obviously a fucking moron and fucking suck at shooters...crushed...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as long as i can keep gold starring 95% of rock band songs on drums i don't give a shit...

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 02:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rofl...plastic guitars and pussies in pixels...the beat goes on...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-08-2011 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fps are pussy games now...

oh ouch i'm hurt, better crouch for a bit, okay all better

kids these days...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.