Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Window 11 ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Window 11 ?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-20-2021 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it true? First I have heard of this :smirk:

I just stumbled across a page saying Windows 11 is available on October 5 and free!

Source

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-21-2021 12:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, it's been in beta for a while now. I think I'll wait until they iron out the bugs, same as I did going from 7 to 10. :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-21-2021 06:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

great

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-21-2021 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

splendid

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 09-21-2021 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, apparently they are eliminating tons of backward compatibility.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/27/microsoft-windows-11-will-be-compatible-with-more-pc-chips.html

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-21-2021 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm sure all the banks, financial institutions, and other various commercial entities using decade-old hardware will love that mandatory OS update when it rolls out in 5 years. Because you know MS will try that shit again. :rolleyes:

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 09-21-2021 05:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL the auto industry will hate it.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 09-22-2021 05:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this is why ive been waiting to upgrade to win 11

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-06-2021 08:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't seen anything noteworthy with Windows 11 that makes me want to upgrade at this point in time. I'd be chancing running into potential bugs, meanwhile Windows 10 runs just fine at the moment.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-07-2021 02:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been running Ubuntu on my work laptop this year (and been working with Linux systems in a professional capacity for years now), and if anything, Windows 11 has me considering using Linux at home.
Especially as I reckon the Steamdeck's going to really kickstart game development on Linux.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like Win10. I just don't see enough of a reason to upgrade to 11, and enough things about it put me off.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-07-2021 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Windows isn't bothering me much, but I am absolutely getting murdered by all of the bullshit that comes with Microsoft accounts. It's always causing problems, especially once you start mixing different accounts.

Like my kids have their own Microsoft accounts which they use to log in to Windows, but they also have a Microsoft account from school which they have to use with MS Teams. Windows just keeps complaining about supposed "account issues" (never being more specific than that). To top it all off, when you install MS Teams you can check this box that says "let my organization control my device" and one of my kids checked that checkbox, resulting in me getting almost entirely locked out of my own computer because Fuck you microsoft.

I also log in to my laptop with my MS Account which I use for Office 365 as well, but I want to use a different MS Account for OneDrive and yet another one (from my work) for MS Teams. Juggling these accounts is just headache inducing, because for some reason Windows keeps intruding one app with the account I use for another app. I want to keep separate identities for my personal stuff and my gaming stuff, but doing XBox stuff with one account and Microsoft Store stuff with the other account is somehow another fuck you by microsoft. Having bought Minecraft with my xbox related account, I somehow can't log in with it in game anymore because it tries to connect to my private account or something and it just goes oh, Eraser, there's an account problem, so why don't you go and FUCK yourself until it hurts?

It's such a massive load of bullshit and I hope it all crashes and burns ASAP so we can just forget about accounts and logging in and I can just use my PC like it's mine again, instead of by the grace of the microsoft gods.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 10-07-2021 03:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, they're really pushing the "Computing as a Service" model these days, and they really don't seem to have the chops to deal with multiple accounts sensibly.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-07-2021 06:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just use local accounts because I don’t trust Microsoft (or big tech companies in general) to not one day fuck shit up. Like what happens if your account is compromised or if their validation server is down? You can no longer log into your computer? Because it’s also tied to Bitlocker, you lose all your data too? Big nope to all of that.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-08-2021 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I've been running Ubuntu on my work laptop this year (and been working with Linux systems in a professional capacity for years now), and if anything, Windows 11 has me considering using Linux at home.
Especially as I reckon the Steamdeck's going to really kickstart game development on Linux.

Don't get me wrong, I actually really like Win10. I just don't see enough of a reason to upgrade to 11, and enough things about it put me off.

pretty sure people said this about XP and Win7, but here we all are

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.