Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Currently watching..... on the TV

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Currently watching..... on the TV

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-01-2022 05:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mr Inbetween

Pretty fun show, different format that's for sure. Love the main actor, didn't realize he also writes it. Love those Australian shows for some reason.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-01-2022 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Mr Inbetween

Pretty fun show, different format that's for sure. Love the main actor, didn't realize he also writes it. Love those Australian shows for some reason.

I've yet to watch Mr Inbetween but it is on my list :)
The main actor, Scott Ryan, he's pretty good in his craft I'd say''.... so I found he has an earlier 'mockumentary' named The Magician from 2005. It took me a while to grab it, so if you can find it, you should enjoy this earlier work.

The Magician - IMDB
Mr Inbetween - IMDB

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-02-2022 07:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very cool, will need to check it out.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-24-2022 12:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched The Peripheral. It looked promising with an interesting set up. The source material should be good (I haven't read the book, but William Gibson is a well regarded scifi writer) and the involvement of Westworld creators sounded promising too.

Unfortunately I felt the series was a bit lackluster. The characters aren't very relatable, the reasons for why they do the things they do are vague at best and a lot of stuff happens for no reason at all.

I had hoped the series would dive more into ethical dilemmas that are a result of the plot of the series, but it's not really much about that.

I can't really recommend the series if you already have a backlog of stuff to watch. If you're bored, however, and got some time to kill, then it's entertaining enough I guess.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-11-2023 10:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Time (2021)

IMO an excellent BBC mini series, only 3 episodes!

Quote:
Eric is a prison officer who tries to protect those in his charge. When one of the most dangerous inmates identifies his weakness, Eric faces an impossible choice between his principles and his love for his family.

Watch it given a chance :up:
9/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-16-2023 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finally got a hold of Foundation and episode 1 is done. One word, interesting. Anyone else passing watched?

From another topic I was about to bump...

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Time to bump :smirk: this topic as the Mrs spotted a new sci-fi :D that could be interesting.

Foundation

and

Ferrao10 wrote:
It moves in a realy slow pace. I mean realy slow. Made it into the third episode then switched off. Bummer, it's got great source-material.

EDIT: Ep 3 done and enjoying :D
EDIT: Season 1 down & dusted. Well worth the watch so do it! Looking forward to season 2.

If I sum up in just a word, extraordinary :!: :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-23-2023 11:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've started to watch Mr Inbetween and into episode 4 :up:
Mr Inbetween - IMDB

EDIT 26 Jan SE02 EP06 :up: and loving it.

Another edit... Still really enjoying to watch Mr Inbetween ... a must watch if you can.
EDIT 31 Jan - Done & dusted - 26 episodes. I enjoyed and so might you :up:

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 01-30-2023 06:28 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-24-2023 12:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched season 1 of Ozark. Pretty good, but not worthy of the enormous praise I've seen everyone give it. But, I also understand seasons 2 and 3 are going to be much better, so I will be marching on into season 2 soon.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-24-2023 07:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Q Slapped Picard| Star Trek Picard S02E02

Really great :up: Yes, You Tube clips but....

then "through a mirror darkly"

This show is object trash.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-24-2023 07:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Currently watching:

Halo - enjoying this
Handmaidens tail - it's good, but S1 is incredibly slow

About to start The Last of Us.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-24-2023 12:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:
Q Slapped Picard| Star Trek Picard S02E02

Really great :up: Yes, You Tube clips but....

[/youtube]

then "through a mirror darkly"
[/youtube]

This show is object trash.

OK, I posted that on 27 April 2022 :smirk: and I still haven't viewed season 2 as yet but I intend to as I really like the acting of John De Lancie playing Q even at 74 year old :up:

John de Lancie - Wiki

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-24-2023 01:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First half of Season 2 of Picard is decent, much better than season 1, but at some point they introduce too much bullshit and it devolves into trash. A real shame. I hope they can deliver a full season that's good with season 3

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-24-2023 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Better watch S02 ASAP.
Checking, asking Google the question - 'star trek picard season 3 release date' ...

Quote:
Star Trek Picard season 3 officially has a release date of February 16, 2023. From there onwards, the season's 10 episodes will continue to air weekly on Thursdays. The tenth and final episode of the season will be the final episode of Star Trek Picard.

So the end of Picard :tear:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-30-2023 02:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TLOU - So far so good to be fair

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 01-30-2023 02:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Handmaidens tail - it's good, but S1 is incredibly slow

Stick with it, it's cracking stuff.
I watched the first episode of TLOU on YouTube last night, as it's been made available there for free.
Not bad, but from what I remember, pretty much a note-for-note recreation of the game so far.

I'm getting really suspicious of third-party opinions regarding media these days, as I suspect there's too many damn nerds offering neckbeard opinions on things.

Two examples I can think of that I enjoyed, but that are widely decried online by fucking basement dwellers are The Witcher: Blood Origin and Rings of Power.

Nerds seem to be getting obsessed with things staying true to the source material, and aren't prepared to accept anything that deviates from their head-canon.

To be fair, I think they had a point with Altered Carbon, which in the second series, diverged so much from the source that it didn't make any goddamned sense, and was obviously adapted for screen by someone who hated the original novels.

But RIngs of Power and Blood Origin were thoroughly enjoyable for me, and a good way to explore the history of those worlds. For example, it was a real kick for me seeing The Convergence of the Spheres in Blood Origin.

But of course, a lot of the complaining is because of diversity and perceived "woke" agendas being forced in to these worlds.
Yes, we've touched on this here before with The Wheel of Time, and quite frequently, diversity can feel somewhat forced, but, and here's the important part, it rarely, if ever, detracts from the story being told.

Nerds were also responsible for the live-action version of Cowboy Bebop getting cancelled, which I was thoroughly enjoying.

Fucking nerds.
I'll get my bat.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-30-2023 03:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
But of course, a lot of the complaining is because of diversity and perceived "woke" agendas being forced in to these worlds.

Check some of the comments about the Dead Space remake.
There's unisex bathrooms in the remake, which were separated bathrooms in the original.
Some of the posters in the game now have women and people of other cultural backgrounds on them instead of only white males like in the original.
The girlfriend of the main character now looks age appropriate instead of 15 years too young.
A female character's breasts have been significantly reduced in size.
There are some new text logs which casually refer to a lesbian relationship.

These are all dealbreaker issues for some people :dts:

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 02-05-2023 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What We Do in the Shadows, series currently on disney+
Hitting all the right spots at the moment, dry humour, sometimes ridiculous. I'm a sucker for anything with Matt Berry in it.

It's based off a movie of the same name (Taika Waititi and Jemaine Clement)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-08-2023 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interview with the Vampire (2022– )

I saw the promo for this TV series just the other day and even though I am not into the genre, I thought to give it a go. Maybe I needed the diversion from life and just one episode in, itlooks interesting.

Quote:
Based on Anne Rice's iconic novel, follow Louis de Pointe's epic story of love, blood and the perils of immortality, as told to the journalist Daniel Molloy.
IMDB

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-08-2023 02:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thread title says 'on the TV', but I haven't watched broadcast TV for just over 22 years :drool:

Anyways... Reacher was good. Dumb Mary-sue fun.

Resident Alien Season 1 is good fun. Just pretend Season 2 on wards doesn't exist. Kinda like Barry in that regard.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-08-2023 06:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’m still enjoying Barry. Although last night’s episode was a little wonky…

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-08-2023 07:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Thread title says 'on the TV', but I haven't watched broadcast TV for just over 22 years :drool:...............

I don't have 'cable' or those other Netflix variants as I find there is just too much on broadcast/free to air TV to watch and enjoy. I do 'tape' (old term used back in the Betamax/VHS days long before some of you were born ;) )'TV' and record to HDDs and on replay/watch, jump through the advertisements.

Don't get me wrong here, I am up with 'tech', well someway there. The Mrs might say "can you find this show for me and stick it on a USB please?". No problem usually and a challenge sometime. If you've been about this (Q3W) world a while, you will know I love a challenge :D

Off topic a moment.
The other day I saw this 30'ish female poking around a waste cardboard recyclable bin seemingly trying to get to something and being me, I stopped and asked if I could help. She had dropped one of those 'vape' things in the bin when throwing some cardboard in. This vape device (and I have never held one) was in the bottom of this near empty car sized industrial waste collection bin and she was trying to lift it out with a stick :smirk:

I was just in the local bottle shop buying some beers and saw some 'Blu Tack' on the register (Covid screen) and thought.....

Short is, I borrowed this and put the Blu Tack on her 'stick' and saved the day. I actually had the vape device in my hand :D :D

Side note: Blu Tack is the original reusable adhesive proudly made in Australia, since 1971, Blu Tack provides an ideal alternative to drawing pins and sticky tape, with thousands of uses around the home, office and school environment.

Is Blu Tack an Australian thing?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-08-2023 09:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Don't get me wrong here, I am up with 'tech', well someway there. The Mrs might say "can you find this show for me and stick it on a USB please?". No problem usually and a challenge sometime. If you've been about this (Q3W) world a while, you will know I love a challenge :D

You might like getting Plex up and running on your home network. You just grab the server install and run it on a Windows box (I just use my main PC, it's pretty light and runs in the taskbar). Then any TV, tablet, phone, other PC can access it via a web browser or app. Then instead of chucking the show on on a USB stick you point Plex at where it's stored on your computer hard drive, and it'll stream it out like Netflix on-demand.

I prolly mentioned it before, can't remember. I advocate for it to anyone that'll listen and whole lot who won't :toothy:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-08-2023 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I’m still enjoying Barry. Although last night’s episode was a little wonky…

Barry? Link please.

@ Foo, PLEX, will look at but when I say 'stick on a USB' I could as the 'smart TV' (when did that happen??) is on my WiFi I think :dork: :olo:
but I will now Google Plex. TY :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-09-2023 08:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I watched The Peripheral.

Oooo I watched this just last week. I enjoyed it!

I get what you're saying though but I find that's the case for a lot of shows the first season. You kinda need to flesh out the characters first. I found the story telling to be a bit vague in spots and yeah, some of the reasons they do what they do seems to be lacking but it was generally better than a lot of the stuff I've seen out there.

I'm really hoping they do another season tho.

edit: I also kinda figured some of the things seem off because it was intended for it to be that way if you know what I'm saying... (in regards to the story)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-11-2023 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lo and Behold Reveries of the Connected World (2016)

How did I miss as I am asking myself and so interesting so watching again as I type...

IMDB

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-12-2023 04:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Lo and Behold Reveries of the Connected World (2016)

How did I miss as I am asking myself and so interesting so watching again as I type...

IMDB

That's a Werner Herzog film iirc? All his stuff is great.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-26-2023 04:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I started watching the Netflix documentary series Break Point, which is a 10-episode tennis documentary where they follow various tennis players into their ventures of winning a Grand Slam. It's made by the same production company that made Drive To Survive (Netflix' Formula 1 documentary series).
The production of Break Point is really slick and they manage to pull you in really well. Sometimes it does feel like they make a lot out of nothing (which is a much heard complaint about Drive To Survive as well) but it's all very entertaining to watch, IMO.
I've never been a huge tennis fan and don't know much about the pro tennis world, but I do find it an interesting sport. I recently started playing tennis myself so it's definitely impressive to see how amazing some of these players are. And to see that even these guys and girls look up to people like Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Serena Williams like they're tennis gods is unreal.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-08-2023 10:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched the first two seasons of Resident Alien and I really enjoyed it. I have to admit though, season 1 was a banger and I only kept watching through season 2 because season 1 was soooo good.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-08-2023 01:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Season 2 is complete trash unfortunately. S1 is very comfy.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-09-2023 03:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, season 1 had that edge where he seemed to be doing alien shit and didn't give a fuck about humans and in season 2 they tried to make him more likeable. It still had its moments but it was really disappointing compared to season 1. That said, season 3 should be out soon.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-09-2023 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Witcher - S3

Some excellent bits but I find the series as a whole feels quite disjointed. Not pleased that Henry is off, either.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-11-2023 09:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I started watching the Netflix documentary series Break Point, which is a 10-episode tennis documentary where they follow various tennis players into their ventures of winning a Grand Slam. It's made by the same production company that made Drive To Survive (Netflix' Formula 1 documentary series).
The production of Break Point is really slick and they manage to pull you in really well. Sometimes it does feel like they make a lot out of nothing (which is a much heard complaint about Drive To Survive as well) but it's all very entertaining to watch, IMO.
I've never been a huge tennis fan and don't know much about the pro tennis world, but I do find it an interesting sport. I recently started playing tennis myself so it's definitely impressive to see how amazing some of these players are. And to see that even these guys and girls look up to people like Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Serena Williams like they're tennis gods is unreal.

I watched Wrexham the other day, really good series.
Interesting to see football culture from a NA perspective, too

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-11-2023 01:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
The Witcher - S3

Some excellent bits but I find the series as a whole feels quite disjointed. Not pleased that Henry is off, either.

It sucks now. I’m bummed. The first season was pretty good. Cavill is leaving and so am I.

I guess following the source material was too easy. They had to let the writers have a little artistic liberty. It turned off both the fans and Cavill…

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-11-2023 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's hard to follow too, all my knowledge of the characters and plot from the books and games just confuses me because the casting is so awful. Cavill carried the whole show.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-12-2023 12:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yennefer is rather easy on the eye

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.