Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        No ChatGPT thread?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: No ChatGPT thread?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-20-2023 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OpenAI Research Says 80% of U.S. Workers' Jobs Will Be Impacted by GPT
Quote:
As large language models like OpenAI's GPT-4 become more advanced and able to write, code, and do math with more accuracy and consistency, it won’t be long before AI makes its way into the workplace as a daily-use tool. In fact, OpenAI itself is betting that a vast majority of workers will have at least part of their jobs automated by GPT models.

I'm sure this is going to work out great for those already living paycheck to paycheck. :up:

There's no way this gets handled correctly. If the rollout of the internet is anything to go by, we are going to stumble our way into the AI era. There was the world before the internet and the world after the internet. At the rate things seem to be going, we're headed for a similar paradigm shift as AI becomes more advanced. How long before GPT is being used to make further iterations of itself better? I hear it's pretty good at coding. I wonder how it does at trading on the stock market? Who wants to bet it creates another financial crisis? :cool:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-21-2023 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've already used it to get tech support information that wasn't revealed via search or documentation.
I don't think my job is at risk any time soon, but I've worked in tech support before, and I could see this easily replacing first-line support.

A fellow engineer combined it with some rentable DeepFake talking heads of presenters who had leant their likenesses and voices to the service to put the script of one of our bulletin rundowns through it, and the result was a very convincing bulletin. Yes, there weren't any video stories, but that will only be a matter of time.

That's the most impressive/scary thing I've seen it do yet.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-21-2023 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a tool that people will either learn to use or fall behind. I've already started using it in creating powershell scripts at work and I think that's the aspect people miss with this. Knowing powershell, I don't feel like I'm at risk of losing my job because chatGPT can create powershell scripts. The AI still needs to be told what to do and whether I'm coding the script myself or guiding the bot to create for me the end result is the same I just save time using chatGPT. I've already requested access to the paid subscription through my work and expect that they'll buy it for me. It's saved me time creating scripts and it even saved me times sending out mass e-mails to staff. It is a fantastic tool.

However, I did read a study that equated that openAI could reduce 80 hours of mental work into 10 minutes meaning all those high level specializations may not be as important in the future.

For example, I can read code well enough but I'm not at the level where I can sit down and code an application without needing to constantly lookup syntaxes and libraries I need when coding something. With chatGPT, I can tell it what I want, review the code, because I understand it and then double check code that I don't by researching what it does. It effectively turns a task that would have taken a me a day to complete and reduces it to 30 minutes and could potentially put me on an even playing field with a more experienced coder. However, I do need to know how to read code so that skill isn't completely useless combined with chatGPT.

Hopefully more future careers will be aided with this new tech requiring less expertise to accomplish the same goals.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 03-24-2023 04:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-24-2023 06:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a good watch

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-30-2023 10:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-

Last edited by Ganemi on 04-14-2023 04:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-31-2023 12:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and then the whole bus stood up and clapped

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-31-2023 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ganemi wrote:
I asked ChatGPT what's going on in the world and he said 'the [LOL RACISM] are here and they're coming for your anus'

and then i go 'thats racist im black you fucking cracker'

and then he goes "ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-ni-[LOL RACISM]"

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-01-2023 09:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-01-2023 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[quote="seremtan"]and then the whole bus stood up and clapped[/quote]

It was a nickelodeon joke btw. Also, yes. Everyone did get the clap in the end.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-29-2023 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://kotaku.com/nvidia-ace-ai-rtx-40 ... 1850484480

Quote:
While the focus of AI’s incursion into gaming spaces has perhaps so far been mostly on the effects for artists, it’s writers who should already have the most to fear. Given how mediocre the standards are for NPC dialogue and quest texts in games, it’s absolutely inevitable that the majority of such content will be AI-written in the near future, despite the potential fury and protests that will come in its wake. But Nvidia’s reveal last night suggests that the consequences could be far farther-reaching, soon replacing voice actors, animators, lighting teams, the lot.

(skip to 26:30)

The more I've used ChatGPT, to more obvious its limitations appear to be. It kind of reminds me of Stable Diffusion/Midjourney and their inability to differentiate objects. Limbs blend into other bodies, random fingers and knuckles abound. People are anthropomorphizing this 'AI' (it's not AI) and assuming it can magically solve everything. If games come out in the not so distant future and lean heavily on large language models, they are going to be broken in all new kinds of ways. :dts:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-30-2023 06:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think those limitations will be solved sooner than later.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-06-2023 02:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Someone told me that there would be something that ChatGPT (or some related AI) reads an entire GitHub repository to help us manage the code we want to implement, improve and fix bugs... Telling us what we needed.
I hope it's right, it would make a lot of progress and save us even more time and effort.

But right now, it isn't pretty accurate when it comes to making features or mods for Quake 3 source code. I've tried, but it isn't helpful at all because I end up digging and trying hard.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-06-2023 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What version are you using and are you sure you're asking the right questions? I've lots of code be complete garbage until I rephrased my question to include more technical aspects of what I needed and then it miraculously just created what I wanted. It's very picky and 3.5 isn't that good at it. I hear 4.0 is quite the upgrade though.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 06-22-2023 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
What version are you using and are you sure you're asking the right questions? I've lots of code be complete garbage until I rephrased my question to include more technical aspects of what I needed and then it miraculously just created what I wanted. It's very picky and 3.5 isn't that good at it. I hear 4.0 is quite the upgrade though.

Oh, i thought you'd already completed GTP v5

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-25-2023 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

It was 3.5.

Doombrain wrote:
Oh, i thought you'd already completed GTP v5

I don't know if GPT-5 is good or bad news. There have been discussions on some articles.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.