Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Netscape vs. Firefox vs. IE

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Netscape vs. Firefox vs. IE

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tried using Firefox for a few months with not much luck at all. There are my extensions, themes, tweaks to be used with this browser, but on this POS computer I'm on nothing much helped.

Got back on IE a few weeks ago and everything was back to normal, but using the tabbed browsing for the past few months was something I was really messing.

Jumped on Netscape 7.2 just about an hour ago and so far it runs and loads without problems. So what's the word on this browser, I know very few people that use Netscape but I'm liking the hell out of it.

also, is there as many themes/extensions with netscape as there is with Firefox? I just haven't had the time to browse for them yet.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Netscape is basically a dumbed down version of Mozilla Firefox with a bunch of crap added, no....?

Liked IE and tabed browsing? Try Maxthon. :icon14:
http://www.maxthon.com/

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a load of crap installed with Netscape, but I'm liking it so far. Scourge sent me that maxthon link awhile back but didn't feal like messing with it at the time, guess I'll check that one out.

One question, is Maxthon a totaly seprate browser...or does IE run it or what?

edit: buh bye Netsape, should have messed around with Maxton a little more last week. :icon32:

Last edited by bork[e] on 02-26-2005 09:11 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

er both sorta. :)

It uses the IE engine.

It dosen't mess up your IE if that's what your asking. :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bork[e] wrote:
Tried using Firefox for a few months with not much luck at all.

lol...moron?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
lol...moron?

bork[e] wrote:
but on this POS computer I'm on nothing much helped.

Something like that.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Freakaloin wrote:
bork[e] wrote:
Tried using Firefox for a few months with not much luck at all.

lol...moron?

Are you being cynical because he gave up on it? Or because you think be was a moron for trying it?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

giving up on it...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

firefox > *

I only installed Nutscrape to test my website's compatibility, which ofcourse was flawless, but other then that, it takes ages to load and lacks functionality

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et fili, et spiritus sancti.

Mr. Anderson!
Mr. Anderson!
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The newest Netscape is is just firefox with a fugly green skin and some useless info bars.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fucking hate IE. It has become the bastard child of web browsers and MS needs to update their shit already. There is all kinds of web design shit that you either can't do with IE or have to create JS behavior files to force-feed it the proper functionality.

Firefox > *

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
I fucking hate IE. It has become the bastard child of web browsers and MS needs to update their shit already. There is all kinds of web design shit that you either can't do with IE or have to create JS behavior files to force-feed it the proper functionality.

Firefox > *

Actually, you are correct. IE is very linuent on the coding of a hypertext document. Firefox requires HTML 4.0 and a valid W3C document for correct viewing.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dmmh wrote:
firefox > *

wait werent you the big proponent of IE?

google says yes:

your quotations:

"IE > * "

"thats why I prefer IE, i just point it to my IE upon reinstall and my desktop, docs and favs are all back"

"yes, you need all kinds of plugins to make it fucntion like a ordinary browser would" [in reference to FF]

soapboy: Originally posted by SOAPboy:
no.. were not clueless.. we just dont like browsers that are slow, choppy, and fuck up webpages..[in reference to FF]

"for once, I have to agree with u"

Im glad that after trying to fight it for a long time with us you've come to see the light ;)

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4g3nt_Smith wrote:
The newest Netscape is is just firefox with a fugly green skin and some useless info bars.

And that is impossible to do anything about so it's useless.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Firefox owns, highly suggest it.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maxthon is where it's at.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been using Firefox for a couple months now, and while I enjoy it, IE loads web content noticeably faster.

Is Maxthon susceptible to IE exploits? If not that's great.. I'd love to be using an IE engine again.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 12:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it's supposedly more secure but it still uses ActiveX so you make the call... :p

Install SpywareBlaster that will block all bad ActiveX controls from ever installing and you're already 90% secure... (it will also block a bunch of restricted sites, marked as bad) Spybot S & D will also help, as will regular scanning for bad BHO's and other components with HijackThis.

Enable the hosts file in Spybot S & D

Microsoft's AntiSpyware has a ton of features tailored for protecting and cleaning IE.

Both Spybot & Microsoft's offering have real time protection (like 'TeaTimer' in Spybot) but personally I have no need for it... it probably does suck up a tiny bit of resources.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is, my Maxthon is just as secure as Firefox. :icon31: It also has a wide range of plugins available for download and it comes with an ad/popup manager that is just as good as Ad block for Firefox.

Last edited by dzjepp on 02-26-2005 01:53 PM, edited 7 times in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chupacabra wrote:
dmmh wrote:
firefox > *

wait werent you the big proponent of IE?

google says yes:

your quotations:

"IE > * "

"thats why I prefer IE, i just point it to my IE upon reinstall and my desktop, docs and favs are all back"

"yes, you need all kinds of plugins to make it fucntion like a ordinary browser would" [in reference to FF]

soapboy: Originally posted by SOAPboy:
no.. were not clueless.. we just dont like browsers that are slow, choppy, and fuck up webpages..[in reference to FF]

"for once, I have to agree with u"

Im glad that after trying to fight it for a long time with us you've come to see the light ;)

:D

I like to argue, sue me ;)

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et fili, et spiritus sancti.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love Firefox. Once I adjusted the network settings, it loads pages just as fast as IE ever did, and I don't have to have 3rd party software to stop popups.

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 01:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bork you might want to try Mozilla 1.4. I personally had problems with firefox in that it loaded pages incorrectly half the time, but Mozilla 1.4 has and sitll does work almost flawless for me :)

If I remember correctly, Mozilla is a bit more basic than Firefox

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... taller.exe

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 03:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R00k wrote:
I love Firefox. Once I adjusted the network settings, it loads pages just as fast as IE ever did, and I don't have to have 3rd party software to stop popups.

And all the tweaks are done in-browser using XML instead of in your registry.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea I thought that was rather cool too. :icon14:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

about:config is ur friend fag0ts...

Related to this
Related to this
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IE: free, built in, no work.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 04:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And all the adware/spyware anybody wants to write destroys it.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 05:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Firefox has some SERIOUS problems running certain kinds of ActiveX/JScript pages (e.g. running pages off the webserver on an IP Camera). CPU usage shoots up to a constant 50% on a machine with a hyper-threaded processor and 100% on a machine with a normal processor. IE doesn't have this problem.

Other than that, I'm pretty happy with Firefox.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 05:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you're going to use IE why not use MyIE2

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, I consider it a small price to pay for a good browser, since I always have shitty IE to fall back on for things that don't seem to be compatible.

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just use ie when needed and firefox for all, it's not the browsers fault but people who use frontpage and then don't check how it looks on other browsers.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 01:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FlamingTP wrote:
IE: free, built in, no work.

Firefox: free, 1 install, MUCH less vulnerabilities, hence less work in the long run.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 01:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Maxthon is where it's at.

/signed

Been using Maxthon (Myie2) Since it was beta.. ill never switch back..

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 01:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What are the advantages of Maxthon when compared to Firefox?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 01:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
What are the advantages of Maxthon when compared to Firefox?

well..

You know how firefox fucks up some websites, maxthon dont.. thats about it..

maxthon has all the same shit firefox does.. maybe minus the google mail toolbar thing.. dunno tho, i dont use and wouldnt use something like that..

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 02:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
IE7 will be out soon and I'll bet money it steals all the best features found in the alternatives.

Why should anything change? M$ was built on stealing ideas.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.