Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Questions from a Gran Turismo newb

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Questions from a Gran Turismo newb

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 03:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, early on should you be spending your time trying to save up to buy a nice car, or use your funds to tweak a so-so car? I am driving an MR2, which has done well so far (I've been able to win all the beginner races I've done so far, and have only added a bigger spoiler and changed the front downforce to help me corner better.

Also, what control scheme do you recommend? I really wish the PS2 controllers had triggers like the Xbox so you could control the throttle pressure better - using the X-button makes it tough to drive around at half-throttle. The gas is either buried or off completely for me. The right thumbstick helps with throttle control, but I find the dual stick use awkward...

Any advice is appreciated...

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 04:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't played since GT2 on the PS1, but IIRC I upgraded cars as fast as I could, depending on the competition I was facing. Play around with which mods get you the most bang for the buck.
I hated the analog sticks at first, but once I got used to it, I could drive like a fucking demon. Actually preferred it to a FF wheel.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, i've spent probably over a year of my life playing granturimo games.... and the best control config i've ever found is this:
put steering on the left stick, gas/brake on the right stick.
shift up on R2
shift down on L2

when you hold the controller, place it very far forward in your hand. so that your "trigger fingers" rest on the outsides of the L2 and R2 buttons.
then your thumbs should be quite comfortable on the sticks... and have very good dexterity, sicne they will be fully extended when resting ontop of the stalks.

makes it very easy to smoothly control the throttle and brake... and youc an play for hours like that without any cramping, since if your holding it right, your wrists should be in a natural and ergonomic position.

i can charge my camera and take i picture if you need a visual aid... its quasi-hard to explain.

but the psx / ps2 controller is the best designed controler ever... it puts the X-Box controler to shame... that uncomfortable hunk of crap is an abomination.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh, and as far as "strategy" is concerned... i havn't got gt4 yet (trying to find the money); but historically, the best thing to do was get all the liscenses... get a cheap ass car, beat some early races, upgrade the hell out of it.
then take it into one of the endurance races, since when you win those you usually get a really good "special" car that will own everything.
if not, you'll at least get a huge pile of cash.
[example]
Gt3 had the miata endurance race, which was a great 1st race to get alot of money and a nice car to use.
Gt2 had the GrandValley endurance, which you could beat with a tuned MA70 Supra... and you got a Denso Supra + mad loot, to own the rest of the game with.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
So, early on should you be spending your time trying to save up to buy a nice car, or use your funds to tweak a so-so car? I am driving an MR2, which has done well so far (I've been able to win all the beginner races I've done so far, and have only added a bigger spoiler and changed the front downforce to help me corner better.

Also, what control scheme do you recommend? I really wish the PS2 controllers had triggers like the Xbox so you could control the throttle pressure better - using the X-button makes it tough to drive around at half-throttle. The gas is either buried or off completely for me. The right thumbstick helps with throttle control, but I find the dual stick use awkward...

Any advice is appreciated...

Upgrade the MR2 to about 180hp, get a little better suspension, then Bspec sunday cup a few times..

Driving with buttons is BS in this one.. dont work real well, you slide to much when you brake hard..

oh and the car you win in sunday cup is worth 8000, so while your surfing the net, and your car is Bspecing, your getting easy money

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For B-specing, exaclty how much do you need to pay attention to?

I've upgraded my mr2 to 220 hp, put a bigger spoiler on it for better downforce.

I'd imagine it would blow through the competition in the sunday cup (that's the first series of races in beginner's, right?)

thanks soap and watson.

and yea wats, show me a pic of that control if you want.

Also - the I kind of agree with you, watson, about the original controller for the Xbox, but the S isn't too bad. Although, after shattering my 2nd S controller last year playing Ninja Gaiden through the 2nd time, I went back to my original and have gotten used to it.

Funny how much of a personal preference issue controllers can be. But don't you think the PS2 controller would have been better with 'triggers' instead of buttons for L1 ,L2, etc...so you could have some true analogue control with them?

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, looks like everyone bought the MR2 first ;)

I supercharged mine, and it's got about 301 HP total with all the mods. The cheapest/best starter mods are usually the racing chip, double plated clutch, and racing flywheel. After that I usually get the semi-racing suspension so I can tweak it the way I want it.

This is just my opinion though. =)

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 09:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow, even with a timer its really hard to take a pic of your hands.
had to ballance the camera on my chest hanging from the carry strap and using the 10sec timer to do it. ;)

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what about using the handbrake in that configuration...GT4 has rally racing, etc., that will require that.

My MR2 has 280 HP now...sold that POS that you win in the sunday cup and bought the supercharger and the level 1 engine upgrade.

Thanks for the B option idea soap...didn't realize you could keep oing the same series over an over again and winning the car. Now I can start a race, watch tv, an come back 3 minutes later with the money.

Think I'll stick with this MR2 for awhile and get it completely tweaked first.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
So what about using the handbrake in that configuration...GT4 has rally racing, etc., that will require that.

My MR2 has 280 HP now...sold that POS that you win in the sunday cup and bought the supercharger and the level 1 engine upgrade.

Thanks for the B option idea soap...didn't realize you could keep oing the same series over an over again and winning the car. Now I can start a race, watch tv, an come back 3 minutes later with the money.

yeah as soon as i realized what b spec was.. i realized that its going to be hella nice for endurance shit.. in fact, im about to boot up the ps2 just to do some bspecing while im forum surfing..

with out a doubt, thats the best idea to EVER go into a racing game..

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 03:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok.. the sunfire you get.. total POS, dont use it for the FF races.. well, if your bspecing it anyways.. totally decked out, 2nd place every fucking time.. -_-

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 04:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can NOT play games now without triggers. It just sucks so much to use buttons, whats that about? Burnout 3, DAMN YOU TO HELL!!

PostPosted: 02-27-2005 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also prefer the Xbox controller but the PS2 buttons are analog so the harder you press your x button the harder you push the gas... It takes a little practice but once you get used to it it's not so bad.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

thats what the top L1/R1 smaller shoulder buttons are good for, since they are also within easy reach, being right above the shifting buttons, handbraking with R1 you won't loose any steering control on the left stick.
one for handbrake one for look behind... or whatever you fancy.
the key to making the controler comfortable is definately holding it in your fingers, not your hands.
the analogue sticks only seem out of place if you're trying to hold the controler "wings" in the meat of your hand.

(yes, i've analyzes this way too much... but like i said, i played so much granturismo, including online competitions, that how you hold the controler became as important as what mouse and mousepad you use for quake ;) )

PostPosted: 02-27-2005 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah the trigger buttons aren't analog tho. :(

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 07:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:

why would they need to be?
the controller has to perfectly percise analogue sticks.

PostPosted: 02-27-2005 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I find the analog on the PS2 controller too awkward to use properly.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You would.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

why did you get the G-limmited?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because I didn't know which car to buy and it seemed like a decent choice.

PostPosted: 02-27-2005 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I might have to go out and buy a PS2 to play this game now... :p I loved GT3

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 10:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

everyone cares

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kracus wrote:

Triggers are analog.. O_o

press it a little bit, you get a little gas, ect..

we ARE talking about xbox right? lol

Cowboys in '05
Cowboys in '05
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ps2 :x

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 08:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-Replicant- wrote:
ps2 :x

DOH!

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 03:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dont worry soap, it still holds

ps2 buttons are all analog

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.