Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Apple joins Blu-Ray group. This is great news.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Apple joins Blu-Ray group. This is great news.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been wanting Blu-Ray ever since I saw pictures from a trade show a few years ago showcasing the stylish players and incredibly awesome cartridges. For example, one Blu-Ray cartridge (Formally called a BD, or Blu-Ray Disc) can hold 5 1080p movies, or an entire season of a TV show.

I was worried last year with all the news about HD-DVD and some players hitting the market. Rental companies would surely do HD-DVD before a cartridge system, even though Blu-Ray is much better in functionality, capacity, and aesthetics.

With Apple joining the fray, this definitely means there is some mainstream American buzz about Blu-Ray and it won't be another crazy Japanese format like MiniDisc or VCD that didn't hit it big in America.

A Blu-Ray disc has a 50GB capacity. HD-DVD is 15GB, and of course would scratch and suffer the same "CD rot" that any CD or DVD does over time. What this means for consumers is fucking 50GB backup discs for a few dollars. They're wanting to replace CD-RW and DVD-RW with this, and I have a feeling, call it a hunch, that by the time BD-RWs hit the market, it will drive the price of DVD-RW drives and media to below anything we've seen before, and I'm going to guess that each BD-RW will cost $5. Shwing.

I just got sexy on myself. Here's the link to the news: http://www.blu-ray.com/ and http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/mar/10blu-ray.html

I wonder if Apple and Sony will be cunts again just like they were with IEEE1394 and decide to name it whatever they'd like? I suppose Apple's BD-RWs will be called SuperDiscs and Sony's will be called r.Carts.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 04:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How much will the players/writers cost, hopefully not in the 4-500 range

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 04:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will this be used in PS3?

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
How much will the players/writers cost, hopefully not in the 4-500 range

$300 for a set top. A lot include HD-DVRs so those will be priced according to the size of the drive. A trade show last year showed off a Blu-Ray player/recorder with 1TB (A fucking terabyte) of space in the DVR.

Yes, PS3 is using Blu-Ray. [Edit: PS3 might not use the cartridge version though, because there is a fair amount of profit made by people replacing scratched discs. The cartridge version is the coolest.]

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hopefully the superior format will triumph this time instead of some stupid dual standard like DVDR +/- or an inferior standard like VHS over betamax. Please, please, please let blu-ray win over HD-DVD.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
Hopefully the superior format will triumph this time instead of some stupid dual standard like DVDR +/- or an inferior standard like VHS over betamax. Please, please, please let blu-ray win over HD-DVD.

Well said. :icon14:

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh Lord, rep putting his lack of intelligence on display again.
Quote:
even though Blu-Ray is much better in functionality, capacity, and aesthetics.

blue-ray is better in aesthetics? You are SUCH a moron, it's hardly conceivable.

And AOD (or HD-DVD as it's called nowadays) definitely has better error correction and doesn't even NEED cartridges.

Congrats rep, on being wrong AGAIN.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:

You're wrong, btw. HD-DVD is the better format. Blue-ray is so vulnerable, it needs cartridges. That will never work out, so we don't even need to argue.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like it will be a tough fight. These titles have been announced for HD-DVD release. Maybe Blu-Ray too but I have no idea.

Quote:
Universal Home Entertainment titles:

The Bourne Supremacy
The Chronicles of Riddick
Van Helsing
Apollo 13
U-571
12 Monkeys
Dune
The Thing
End of Days
Backdraft
Waterworld
The Bone Collector
Spy Game
Pitch Black
Conan the Barbarian
Dante's Peak

Warner Home Video titles:

Above the Law
Alexander
Angels in America (HBO)
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (New Line)
Batman Begins
Blade (New Line)
Catwoman
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Constantine
Contact
Dark City (New Line)
The Dukes of Hazzard
Eraser
Executive Decision
Final Destination (New Line)
Friday (New Line)
From the Earth to the Moon (HBO)
The Fugitive
Gothika
Hard to Kill
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
House of Wax (2005)
The Last Samurai
The Mask (New Line)
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
Maverick
Million Dollar Baby
The Music Man
Mystic River
Next of Kin
North by Northwest
Ocean's Eleven
Ocean's Twelve
Passenger 57
The Perfect Storm
The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
The Player (New Line)
The Polar Express
Red Planet
Rush Hour (New Line)
Se7en (New Line)
Soldier
The Sopranos (HBO)
Spawn (New Line)
Swordfish
Troy
Under Siege
U.S. Marshals
Wild Wild West

Paramount Home Entertainment titles:

The Manchurian Candidate
Spongebob Squarepants
Elizabethtown
Coach Carter
Italian Job
School Of Rock
Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow
Forrest Gump
Braveheart
Ghost
Grease
Mission Impossible 2
Black Rain
Save The Last Dance
Sleepy Hollow
U2 Rattle & Hum
Vanilla Sky
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Star Trek: First Contact
We Were Soldiers

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 06:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hear Blu Ray is going to have a unique ID on each disc to help protect copyrights. Wonder how hard it will be to crack.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2 secs in someones basement :)

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
Oh Lord, rep putting his lack of intelligence on display again.
Quote:
even though Blu-Ray is much better in functionality, capacity, and aesthetics.

blue-ray is better in aesthetics? You are SUCH a moron, it's hardly conceivable.

And AOD (or HD-DVD as it's called nowadays) definitely has better error correction and doesn't even NEED cartridges.

Congrats rep, on being wrong AGAIN.

Do you even know what "aesthetics" means, or how I'm using it? I'm talking about the cartridge looking better, and being generally nicer than a lone disc. You can organize forms better than discs. With a disc you need some sort of container or organizer. With cartridges, you can line them all up in a drawer if you please.

And by the way...

DON'T ACT LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT, DIPSHIT. THERE ARE BLU-RAY DISCS THAT DON'T USE A CARTRIDGE AND LOOK JUST LIKE A DVD, YOU FUCKING CHILD.

Let's Get Serious!
Let's Get Serious!
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shut up and put that pacifier back into your mouth you big fucking crybaby

you're always wrong; get over it

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can still stick a disc anywhere you please...shit I probably have a couple hundred on my desk right now...

I don't think I would like a big clunky cartridge. Didn't some of the old CDROMs use a "cartridge" system?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i dunno, im pretty partial to the cartridge

the main issue i think ill have is that it will play nothing else but carts

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
You can still stick a disc anywhere you please...shit I probably have a couple hundred on my desk right now...

I don't think I would like a big clunky cartridge. Didn't some of the old CDROMs use a "cartridge" system?

Here's the trade-off if you want to call it one:
A BD-RW is about the same thickness of 3 CDs or HD-DVDs.
An HD-DVD is 13GB.
BD-RWs are 50GB. (23GB per side. Dual layer HD-DVD-Rs will be more expensive and still not hold as much.)
50GB divided by 13GB = 3.85. In the physical space of 1 50GB BD-RW you can fit 39GB in HD-DVDs.
Translation: Even though the cartridge is bigger than a single HD-DVD, you fit more in the same space.

To store bare discs, you need some sort of storage solution. Be it a spindle, an organizer, or the case the disc came in, you're looking at more stuff to buy. BD-RWs will make nice little rows in drawers. It'll look nice. Bare discs with no storage solution slide all over the place and will get scratched and destroyed.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 12:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Will this be used in PS3?

yup

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 01:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blu-Ray sounds cooler than HD-DVD.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 01:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

riddla wrote:
Fender wrote:

and please please please let every disc format that ever comes out from here on be encased in a protective cartridge :icon34: I stopped renting DVDs a long time ago because of scratches.

same here. the last one i didn't even take out of the store, just opened the box, saw it'd been used as a beer mat and got my money back.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sony / philips, cant go wrong there

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et fili, et spiritus sancti.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've always thought it was kinda silly not to put cd's and dvd's in some sort of cartridge. It would still be the same format, and you'd be able to swap them in and out if you wanted, but why not some external cover to provide a little protection? They're so easy to chip and scratch.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shit, we've seen cartridges at the start of launch of several different media formats, the original CDs came in cartridges.

Then they improved the protective materials on the media, and the robustness of the players/lasers reading them. No need for cartridges anymore, and thousands of people left with a machine where they had to place their CD into a cartridge before playing it. Not sexy at all when the tables turn and that's the result.

Storage? Not a problem.. got me oneof these badboys:

Every CD I own in one box. Finding them's currently a bitch, mind, but that's easily fixed.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo, that box from Scan? If so, how substantially built is it? Could do to pick up a couple but not if they're a bit flimsy.

If not Scan you got a link pls.

8)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 02:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bought it from a small retailer over here in Sheffield, but they're popping up in loads and loads of computer shops now.

Cost about £25-30 for a 500-CD model, and they seem sufficiently sturdy for light duties. Not something you'd seriously road with, but there are professional DJ cases for that kind of activity which go for over £50.

The scan ones look like the same models.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx.

I only want it for storage at home, no portability needed. Just seems a much better solution than jewel cases ( for someone who gets spindles of discs) and cheaper too.

8)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.