Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        If only there were more like this

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: If only there were more like this

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 07:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In March 2004, 28-year-old Sgt. Camilo Mejia turned himself in to the U.S. military and filed an application for conscientious objector status. On May 21, he was sentenced to one year in prison for refusing to return to fight in Iraq. He was released from prison on Feb. 15, 2005.

"I was deployed to Iraq in April 2003 and returned home for a two-week leave in October. Going home gave me the opportunity to put my thoughts in order and to listen to what my conscience had to say. People would ask me about my war experiences and answering them took me back to all the horrors - the firefights, the ambushes, the time I saw a young Iraqi dragged by his shoulders through a pool of his own blood or an innocent man decapitated by our machine-gun fire. The time I saw a soldier broken down inside because he killed a child, or an old man on his knees, crying with his arms raised to the sky, perhaps asking God why we had taken the lifeless body of his son.

I thought of the suffering of a people whose country was in ruins and who were further humiliated by the raids, patrols and curfews of an occupying army.

And I realized that none of the reasons we were told about why we were in Iraq turned out to be true. There were no weapons of mass destruction. There was no link between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda. We weren't helping the Iraqi people and the Iraqi people didn't want us there. We weren't preventing terrorism or making Americans safer. I couldn't find a single good reason for having been there, for having shot at people and been shot at.

Coming home gave me the clarity to see the line between military duty and moral obligation. I realized that I was part of a war that I believed was immoral and criminal, a war of aggression, a war of imperial domination. I realized that acting upon my principles became incompatible with my role in the military, and I decided that I could not return to Iraq.

By putting my weapon down, I chose to reassert myself as a human being. I have not deserted the military nor been disloyal to the men and women of the military. I have not been disloyal to a country. I have only been loyal to my principles.

When I turned myself in, with all my fears and doubts, it did it not only for myself. I did it for the people of Iraq, even for those who fired upon me - they were just on the other side of a battleground where war itself was the only enemy. I did it for the Iraqi children, who are victims of mines and depleted uranium. I did it for the thousands of unknown civilians killed in war. My time in prison is a small price compared to the price Iraqis and Americans have paid with their lives. Mine is a small price compared to the price humanity has paid for war.

Many have called me a coward, others have called me a hero. I believe I can be found somewhere in the middle. To those who have called me a hero, I say that I don't believe in heroes, but I believe that ordinary people can do extraordinary things.

To those who have called me a coward I say that they are wrong, and that without knowing it, they are also right. They are wrong when they think that I left the war for fear of being killed. I admit that fear was there, but there was also the fear of killing innocent people, the fear of putting myself in a position where to survive means to kill, there was the fear of losing my soul in the process of saving my body, the fear of losing myself to my daughter, to the people who love me, to the man I used to be, the man I wanted to be. I was afraid of waking up one morning to realize my humanity had abandoned me.

I say without any pride that I did my job as a soldier. I commanded an infantry squad in combat and we never failed to accomplish our mission. But those who called me a coward, without knowing it, are also right. I was a coward not for leaving the war, but for having been a part of it in the first place. Refusing and resisting this war was my moral duty, a moral duty that called me to take a principled action. I failed to fulfill my moral duty as a human being and instead I chose to fulfill my duty as a soldier. All because I was afraid. I was terrified; I did not want to stand up to the government and the army - I was afraid of punishment and humiliation. I went to war because at the moment I was a coward, and for that I apologize to my soldiers for not being the type of leader I should have been.

I also apologize to the Iraqi people. To them I say I am sorry for the curfews, for the raids, for the killings. May they find it in their hearts to forgive me.

One of the reasons I did not refuse the war from the beginning was that I was afraid of losing my freedom. Today, as I sit behind bars I realize that there are many types of freedom, and that in spite of my confinement I remain free in many important ways. What good is freedom if we are afraid to follow our conscience? What good is freedom if we are not able to live with our own actions? I am confined to a prison but I feel, today more than ever, connected to all humanity. Behind these bars I sit a free man because I listened to a higher power, the voice of my conscience."

Good for him, and fuck George W. Bush and his cabal of soulless fucking liars.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good read.

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 07:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, very deep.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 07:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

someone read it for me

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YeAh BuT tHaT TrAiToR wIlL bE pLaYiNg A dIfFeReNt TuNe wHeN tHe TeRrOrIsTs rIdE SaDdAm'S WmD iNtO tHe SeArS ToWeR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how touching..

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 08:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good read, and fair play to the guy.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The last sentence pretty much sums the thing up.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn, at first I thought the last line was part of his quote, and it made me chuckle.

Nevertheless, a nice read. Good for him. :icon14:

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brave man

XXXG-00W0
XXXG-00W0
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Excellently written. I think this is what people should think about when they argue over what should be done.

ouF!
ouF!
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 08:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

respect :thumbsup:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

farad would disagree with him.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but couldn't say why

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well-spoken

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 03:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its obvious this nightshade nitwit is a shill for sharon and bush...clever but he fails in all aspects of his deception...

any questions?...

Nightshade wrote:
In March 2004, 28-year-old Sgt. Camilo Mejia turned himself in to the U.S. military and filed an application for conscientious objector status. On May 21, he was sentenced to one year in prison for refusing to return to fight in Iraq. He was released from prison on Feb. 15, 2005.

"I was deployed to Iraq in April 2003 and returned home for a two-week leave in October. Going home gave me the opportunity to put my thoughts in order and to listen to what my conscience had to say. People would ask me about my war experiences and answering them took me back to all the horrors - the firefights, the ambushes, the time I saw a young Iraqi dragged by his shoulders through a pool of his own blood or an innocent man decapitated by our machine-gun fire. The time I saw a soldier broken down inside because he killed a child, or an old man on his knees, crying with his arms raised to the sky, perhaps asking God why we had taken the lifeless body of his son.

I thought of the suffering of a people whose c

ountry was in ruins and who were further humiliated by the raids,

patrols and curfews of an occupying army.

And I realized that none of the reasons we were told about why we were in Iraq turned out to be true. There were no weapons of mass destruction. There was no link between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda. We weren't helping the Iraqi people and the Iraqi people didn't want us there. We weren't preventing terrorism or making Americans safer. I couldn't find a single good reason for having been there, for having shot at people and been shot at.

Coming home gave me the clarity to see the line between military duty and moral obligation. I realized that I was part of a war that I believed was immoral and criminal, a war of aggression, a war of imperial domination. I realized that acting upon my principles became incompatible with my role in the military, and I decided that I could not return to Iraq.

By putting my weapon down, I chose to reassert myself as a human being. I have not deserted the military nor been disloyal to the men and women of the military. I have not been disloyal to a country. I have only been loyal to my principles.

When I turned myself in, with all my fears and doubts, it did it not only for myself. I did it for the people of Iraq, even for those who fired upon me - they were just on the other side of a battleground where war itself was the only enemy. I did it for the Iraqi children, who are victims of mines and depleted uranium. I did it for the thousands of unknown civilians killed in war. My time in prison is a small price compared to the price Iraqis and Americans have paid with their lives. Mine is a small price compared to the price humanity has paid for war.

Many have called me a coward, others have called me a hero. I believe I can be found somewhere in the middle. To those who have called me a hero, I say that I don't believe in heroes, but I believe that ordinary people can do extraordinary things.

To those who have called me a coward I say that they are wrong, and that without knowing it, they are also right. They are wrong when they think that I left the war for fear of being killed. I admit that fear was there, but there was also the fear of killing innocent people, the fear of putting myself in a position where to survive means to kill, there was the fear of losing my soul in the process of saving my body, the fear of losing myself to my daughter, to the people who love me, to the man I used to be, the man I wanted to be. I was afraid of waking up one morning to realize my humanity had abandoned me.

I say without any pride that I did my job as a soldier. I commanded an infantry squad in combat and we never failed to accomplish our mission. But those who called me a coward, without knowing it, are also right. I was a coward not for leaving the war, but for having been a part of it in the first place. Refusing and resisting this war was my moral duty, a moral duty that called me to take a principled action. I failed to fulfill my moral duty as a human being and instead I chose to fulfill my duty as a soldier. All because I was afraid. I was terrified; I did not want to stand up to the government and the army - I was afraid of punishment and humiliation. I went to war because at the moment I was a coward, and for that I apologize to my soldiers for not being the type of leader I should have been.

I also apologize to the Iraqi people. To them I say I am sorry for the curfews, for the raids, for the killings. May they find it in their hearts to forgive me.

One of the reasons I did not refuse the war from the beginning was that I was afraid of losing my freedom. Today, as I sit behind bars I realize that there are many types of freedom, and that in spite of my confinement I remain free in many important ways. What good is freedom if we are afraid to follow our conscience? What good is freedom if we are not able to live with our own actions? I am confined to a prison but I feel, today more than ever, connected to all humanity. Behind these bars I sit a free man because I listened to a higher power, the voice of my conscience."

Good for him, and fuck George W. Bush and his cabal of soulless fucking liars.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well written statement... sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders. his parents should be proud.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 04:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good read, it's comforting that there are people like this in the world.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 04:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was going to search through this entire list for a couple relevant quotes, but screw it, here's my entire list:

The people cannot delegate to government the power to do anything which would be unlawful for them to do themselves. - John Locke

If we do not conjure up a war into being, certainly no one else will do so. - Alfred von Kiderlen-Wächter, German Foreign Minister, 1910

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy. - Kafka

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart. - H. L. Mencken

We paid $3 billion for these television stations. We will decide what the news is. The news is what we tell you it is. - David Boylan, station manager WTVT, Fox News

Religion is what the common people see as true, the wise people see as false, and the rulers see as useful. - Seneca

They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it. - Nelba Blandon, Nicaraguan Interior Ministry Director of Censorship

During times of war, hatred becomes quite respectable even though it has to masquerade often under the guise of patriotism. - Howard Thurman

Protecting the rights of even the least individual among us is basically the only excuse the government has for even existing. - Ronald Reagan

Every nation has its war party. It is not the party of democracy. It is the party of autocracy. It seeks to dominate absolutely. - Senator Robert M. La Follette

Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness. - George Washington

The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them. - George Orwell

Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows. - Martin Luther King

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth. - Albert Einstein

Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. - James Madison

What a country calls its vital... interests are not things that help its people live, but things that help it make war. - Simone Weil

The political object is the goal, war is the means of reaching it, and the means can never be considered in isolation form their purposes. - Karl von Clausewitz

Politics is the womb in which war develops. - Karl von Clausewitz

War is the continuation of politics by other means. - Karl Von Clausewitz

Our country is now geared to an arms economy bred in an artificually induced psychosis of war hysteria and an incessant propaganda of fear. - General Douglas MacArthur

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. - General Smedley Butler

We...are not really free if we can't control our own government and its policies. And we will never do that if we remain ignorant - Charley Reese

The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion. - George Washington

The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant. - John Stuart Mil

Sovereignty must not be used for inflicting harm on anyone, whether citizen or foreigner. - Ludwig Von Mises

Together we must learn how to compose differences, not with arms, but with intellect and decent purpose. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Paramount among the responsibilities of a free press is the duty to prevent any part of the government from deceiving the people... - Hugo Black, Supreme Court Justice

After each war there is a little less democracy to save. - Brooks Atkinson

I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

That we are to stand by the president, right or wrong is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

In all history there is no war which was not hatched by the governments, the governments alone, independent of the interests of the people... - Leo Tolstoy

Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are dyed red with innocent blood. - Mahatma Gandhi

What is morally wrong can never be advantageous, even when it enables you to make some gain that you believe to be to your advantage. - Marcus Tullius Cicero

I love America more than any other country in this world, and, exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually. - James Baldwin

Whoever wants peace among nations must seek to limit the state and its influence most strictly. - Ludwig Von Mises

The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations. - David Friedman

War is the greatest plague that can affect humanity; it destroys religion, it destroys states, it destroys families. Any scourge is preferable to it. - Martin Luther

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

Respect for the rights of others means peace. - Benito Juárez

Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people. - Theodore Roosevelt

Our children are not born to hate, they are raised to hate. - Thomas della Peruta

The worst crimes were dared by a few, willed by more and tolerated by all. - Tacitus

Social order at the expense of liberty is hardly a bargain. - Marquis de Sade

Since the end of the nineteenth century, if not earlier, presidents have misled the public about their motives and their intentions in going to war. - Robert Higgs

Peace and friendship with all mankind is our wisest policy, and I wish we may be permitted to pursue it. - Thomas Jefferson

May we never confuse honest dissent with disloyal subversion. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

War is never a solution; it is an aggravation. - Benjamin Disraeli
There is nothing that war has ever achieved that we could not better achieve without it. - Henry Havelock Ellis

We first fought...in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. - Serj Tankian

One certain effect of war is to diminish freedom of expression. - Howard Zinn

The real and lasting victories are those of peace, and not of war. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Look at you in war...There has never been a just one, never an honorable one, on the part of the instigator of the war. - Mark Twain

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful, and virtuous. - Frederick Douglass

..we own [Iraq]...their airspace...We dictate the way they live and talk. It's a good thing, especially when there's a lot of oil out there we need. - U.S. Brig. General William Looney

We will not learn to live together in peace by killing each other's children. - Jimmy Carter

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. - Thich Nhat Hanh

The slightest acquaintance with history shows that powerful republics are the most warlike and unscrupulous of nations. - Ambrose Bierce

The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions. - Robert Lynd

How vile and despicable war seems to me! I would rather be hacked to pieces than take part in such an abominable business. - Albert Einstein

No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare. - James Madison

Every man thinks god is on his side. - Jean Anouilh
Force is the weapon of the weak. - Ammon Hennacy

Whoever wishes peace among peoples must fight statism. - Ludwig Von Mises

Education is a better safeguard of liberty than a standing army. - Edward Everett

War means blind obedience, unthinking stupidity, brutish callousness, wanton destruction, and irresponsible murder. - Alexander Berkman

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. - George Washington

There are more instances of the abridgement of the Freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation. - James Madison

We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. - Unknown
The natural progress of things is for government to gain ground and for Liberty to yield. - Thomas Jefferson

Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H.L. Mencken
Freedom is a hard-bought thing. - Paul Robeson

Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth. - George Washington

There are two Freedoms -- the false, where a man is Free to do what he likes; the true, where he is Free to do what he ought. - Charles Kingsley

Then what is Freedom? It is the will to be responsible to ourselves. - Friedrich Neitzsche

Liberty is its own reward. - Woodrow Wilson

They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. - Thomas Jefferson

A little rebellion now and again is a good thing. - Thomas Jefferson

He who has lost Freedom has nothing left to lose. - Unknown

Moderation in the protection of Liberty is no virtue; extremism in the defense of Freedom is no vice. - Barry Goldwater

Don't be a fool and die for your country. Make the other fool die for his country. - George S. Patton

Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious. - Oscar Wilde

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. - Mark Twain

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought - Pope John Paul II

Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it. - George Bernard Shaw

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson

It is harder to preserve than to obtain Liberty. - John C. Calhoun
If a nation expects to be both ignorant and Free, it expects what never was and never will be. - Thomas Jefferson

Those who expect to reap the blessing of Freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. - Thomas Paine

Lean Liberty is better than fat slavery. - Thomas Fuller

In the truest sense Freedom cannot be bestowed, it must be achieved. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

None who have always been Free can understand the terrible fascinating power of the hope of Freedom to those who are not Free. - Pearl S. Buck

Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end. - Lord Acton

As long as possible live Free and uncommitted. It makes but little difference whether you are committed to a farm or the county jail. - Henry David Thoreau

The dagger plunged in the name of Freedom is plunged into the breast of Freedom. - Jose Marti

You can't separate peace from Freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has Freedom. - Malcolm X

There can be no real Freedom without the Freedom to fail. - Eric Hoffer

To know to Free oneself is nothing; the arduous thing is to know what to do with one's Freedom. - Andre Gide

If you cannot be Free, be as Free as you can. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in Freedom. - Albert Einstein

Freedom suppressed and again regained bites with keener fangs than Freedom never endangered. - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Freedom is not something that anybody can be given; Freedom is something people take and people are as Free as they want to be. - James Baldwin

No man can put a chain about the ankle of his fellow man without at last finding the other end fastened about his own neck. - Frederick Douglass

The God who gave us life, gave us Liberty at the same time. - Thomas Jefferson

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: Freedom; justice; honor; duty; mercy; hope. - Sir Winston Churchill

Freedom of speech and Freedom of action are meaningless without Freedom to think. And there is no Freedom of thought without doubt. - Bergen Evans

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human Freedom It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt

Action, self-reliance, the vision of self and the future have been the only means by which the oppressed have seen and realized the light of their own Freedom. - Marcus Garvey

Those who profess to favor Freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want rain without thunder and lightning. - Frederick Douglass

Self-reliance is the only road to true Freedom, and being one's own person is its ultimate reward. - Patricia Sampson

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are Free. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Conformity is the jailer of Freedom and the enemy of growth. - John F. Kennedy

You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's Freedom. You can only be Free if I am Free. - Clarence Darrow

When Liberty is taken away by force it can be restored by force. When it is relinquished voluntarily by default it can never be recovered. - Dorothy Thompson

It is not the fact of Liberty but the way in which Liberty is exercised that ultimately determines whether Liberty itself survives. - Dorothy Thompson

We seek peace, knowing that peace is the climate of Freedom. - Dwight D. Eisenhower

We cannot defend Freedom abroad by deserting it at home. - Edward R. Murrow

We must not believe the many, who say that only Free people ought to be educated, but we should rather believe the philosophers who say that only the educated are Free. - Epictetus

True individual Freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. - Franklin D. Roosevelt

The average man does not want to be Free. He simply wants to be safe. - H. L. Mencken

Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison. - Henry David Thoreau

Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you. - Jean-Paul Sartre

No one should negotiate their dreams. Dreams must be Free to flee and fly high. No government, no legislature, has a right to limit your dreams. You should never agree to surrender your dreams. - Jesse Jackson

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a Free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public Liberty. - John Adams

Liberty without learning is always in peril and learning without Liberty is always in vain. - John F. Kennedy

The wave of the future is not the conquest of the world by a single dogmatic creed but the liberation of the diverse energies of Free nations and Free men. - John F. Kennedy

Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a Freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote Freedom to err. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

In this possibly terminal phase of human existence, democracy and Freedom are more than just ideals to be valued - they may be essential to survival. - Noam Chomsky

If we do not believe in Freedom of speech for those we despise we do not believe in it at all. - Noam Chomsky

I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty, or give me death! - Patrick Henry

For what avail the plough or sail, Or land or life, if Freedom fail? - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A right is not what someone gives you; it’s what no one can take from you. - Ramsey Clark

Freedom lies in being bold. - Robert Frost

Liberty, taking the word in its concrete sense, consists in the ability to choose. - Simone Weil

If a nation values anything more than Freedom, it will lose its Freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. - Somerset Maugham

People hardly ever make use of the Freedom they have. For example, the Freedom of thought. Instead they demand Freedom of speech as a compensation. - Søren Kierkegaard

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine. - Thomas Jefferson

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men Free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned -- this is the sum of good government. - Thomas Jefferson

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him. - Thomas Jefferson

I have no fear that the result of our experiment will be that men may be trusted to govern themselves without a master. - Thomas Jefferson

Eternal vigilance is the price of Liberty. - Wendell Phillips

Politics has always been the institutionalized and established way in which some men have exercised the power to live off the output of other men. - Karl Hess

Politics, throughout time, has been the institutionalized denial of man's ability to survive through the exclusive employment of all his own powers for his own welfare - Karl Hess

Political parties and politicians today question only the forms through which they will express their common belief in controlling the lives of others. - Karl Hess

The state has not given me anything that it did not first extort from me. - Karl Hess

Government never has and never can humanely and effectively manage men's affairs. - Karl Hess

When you put your faith in big government, you end up an apologist for mass murder. - Karl Hess

Politics devour men; a laissez-faire world will liberate them. - Karl Hess

I want the freedom to be responsible for my own actions. - Karl Hess

The Declaration of Independence is so lucid we're afraid of it today. It scares the hell out of every modern bureaucrat, because it tells them there comes a time when we must stop taking orders. - Karl Hess

Liberty is simply being human to the hilt; being absolutely responsible for your own choices in life, questioning authority, being honest in all dealing with others, and never initiating force to get your way or condoning it for someone else to get their way. - Karl Hess

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have. - Barry Goldwater

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Whatever the government gives, it must first take away. - John Coleman

A government of reason is better than one of force. - Thomas Jefferson

Bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Politics has no relation to morals. - Machiavelli

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O'Rourke

To become the master, the politician poses as the servant. - Charles de Gaulle

It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. - Voltaire

No oppression is so heavy or lasting as that which is inflicted by the perversion and exorbitance of legal authority. - Joseph Addison

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. - Aesop

The Truth which makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear. - Herbert Agar

I believe there's something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government. - Woody Allen

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. - Oscar Ameringer

The most perfect political community is one in which the middle class is in control, and outnumbers both of the other classes. - Aristotle

People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election. - Otto von Bismarck

Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men. - Lord Acton

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.