Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Guild Wars Beta Weekend

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 01:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GGs all, had a fantastic time (and quite a lot of it too :paranoid: ).

Most of my screenies this weekend were taken more for the visuals rather than being group shots.
They're all 1600x1200, mostly with no UI visible. All taken with 4x AA.
As they're so big, I'll post links instead (not 56k friendly):

The Blasted Lands

The Ruins of Old Ascalon

A Green Vista

In the Jungle

Thrud & Flossy at the Lakeshore

Mysterious Monoliths

Our First Rotscale

Blissful Shore

Who's this then?

"SMILE!"

Waterfalls

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 01:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aces :D :icon14:

I hope to have mine up soon.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 01:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that game looks so sexy

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 01:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
that game looks so sexy

word

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 02:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I swear, when it comes out, i may well have to clone myself to play both WOW and this...

Very different styles of games though - WOW's more of a consistant world populated with enemies, and GW seems to be more "dungeon" based, where you go in with your group and never see anyone...

Not sure which ethic is best really - many's the time in WOW i've randomly bumped into someone, saved their ass/been saved during a hard mission, then teamed up on the enemy with them...

Should be interesting when GW comes out properly :D

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 03:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LXS wrote:

Not sure which ethic is best really - many's the time in WOW i've randomly bumped into someone, saved their ass/been saved during a hard mission, then teamed up on the enemy with them...

that is pretty cool, but more often than not the people you bump into are fucking lamers who go for PvP with their lvl234976 char and steal yer loot.

like all online games, its only great if played with the right people on a priv server.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 04:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat, do you play @ 16x12x4AA? Or just switch for screenies? What card do you have?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 06:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I play at that setting; got a GF6800GT :D
I noticed that the "Glow" isn't quite as pronounced on U4EA's screenies, so there's probably some DX9 goodness going on too.

Saying that, I have been incredibly impressed with how well it runs and how good it looks.

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 08:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
LXS wrote:

that is pretty cool, but more often than not the people you bump into are fucking lamers who go for PvP with their lvl234976 char and steal yer loot.

like all online games, its only great if played with the right people on a priv server.

WOW deals with it by default setting PVP perminantly off on a "normal" server, and dedicating separate servers for PVP play. PVP is reserved exclusively to fights between the 2 rival factions,Hoard and Alliance. They've dedicated a lot of time to it in the game, allowing players to take rival territory, fight in battle grounds and use siege vehicles.

On a normal server, you can opt in on PVP if you choose to. Anyone can fight duels with anyone else, but its a consentual thing, and no-one dies at the end :P

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't even tried the PvP thing in GW. What happens if you win/lose? I don't want to go get my ass kicked and lose XP/gold/items.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 09:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't lose anything in GW PvP.
It's more like a Quake-style game, with TDM & CTF variations.

Basically, once you complete the PvE (Player vs. Environment), you then have to "Ascend" by completing the PvP challenge (ie: beat all the other teams).

Of course, you don't HAVE to complete PvE to do this; there are various other PvP opportunities around.
It's really a lot better than I was expecting, although it's very hard to "Ascend" when all some people play is PvP.

You've probably seen some "Ascended" players around; they're the guys that carry what look like hammers whilst in cities...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 10:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only way to take part in the next 2 beta events is to buy a pre-order.
They'll no longer be accepting promotional keys.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 10:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More bad news Memph:
Whilst they do plan on releasing a UK / Euro pre-order package, they've been saying that for 4 months now and it's not happened yet.
I got my copy from Import Madness

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 10:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No worries; hopefully you'll get yer pre-order before the next beta; if that's the case (and there's no character wipe) I'll be more than happy to help you out.
Hell, if there is a character wipe, I'll be starting again anyway, so I'll be in a position to help you.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those screenies fucking own. I want this game...
U4EA wrote:

Bahahahaha! :icon19:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

Ah well, race ya to the shops Trans :icon32:

You're on. *runs*

I'll definitely be buying this game. Should be picking my PC up from the shop in maybe 12-16 hours. I'll preorder it then, clean up my system, and possibly will have to reinstall windows (God I hate my computer). I'll be busy this week, but I'll be good to go for next weekend with the preorder (assuming I get the info I need in time, if I preorder online).

See you there. ;)

edit: btw, we should coordinate what server we're going to play on (assuming there are servers/shards we can pick) for beta and live

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 11:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had a blast playing this weekend. The best was when we played those missions together. We should gang up and do some PvP next time. With our quake experience we will kick major assfold.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-21-2005 11:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I play at that setting; got a GF6800GT :D
I noticed that the "Glow" isn't quite as pronounced on U4EA's screenies, so there's probably some DX9 goodness going on too.

I think that's more due to the nature of the shots, rather than anything else (more people and closeups as opposed to scenic shots). I'm running it on a 6600GT and they have the same hardware feature set, it's just that the 6600 has half the pipelines or sommat.

Mat Linnett wrote:
Saying that, I have been incredibly impressed with how well it runs and how good it looks.

Aye, it looked (and ran) absolutely spiffing on the old 9600xt too, albeit at a lower resolution. I'm currently on 1280x960, no AA/AF.

Mat Linnett wrote:
The only way to take part in the next 2 beta events is to buy a pre-order.
They'll no longer be accepting promotional keys.

I think old friend passes and promotional keys which haven't been used yet will still work, it's just that they won't be giving out any new ones this time around.

Transient wrote:
edit: btw, we should coordinate what server we're going to play on (assuming there are servers/shards we can pick) for beta and live

It's pretty much just a matter of posting up one of your character's names here so we can add you to our friends list. Makes it very easy to get in touch with each other while playing.

It's all on one "server" set, though districts get created based on the number of people in a particular area (I'm talking about cities and outposts, quests and explorable areas are instantiated per party). Pretty nifty really. IMO a much more personable experience.

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 12:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fender wrote:
I haven't even tried the PvP thing in GW. What happens if you win/lose? I don't want to go get my ass kicked and lose XP/gold/items.

Its fun :D Last night a high level alliance party raided a hoard base i was near by - about 20 of us rushed out and battered them repeatedly :D

You dont lose anything from it, you gain access to special quests and vendors...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
I had a blast playing this weekend. The best was when we played those missions together. We should gang up and do some PvP next time. With our quake experience we will kick major assfold.

That will seriously own. We could get on a Teamspeak server to help, too. GG geekiness. :p

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 05:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
It's pretty much just a matter of posting up one of your character's names here so we can add you to our friends list. Makes it very easy to get in touch with each other while playing.

It's all on one "server" set, though districts get created based on the number of people in a particular area (I'm talking about cities and outposts, quests and explorable areas are instantiated per party). Pretty nifty really. IMO a much more personable experience.
Sounds like zone instances in City of Heroes. So everyone's in the same zone when outside towns, and only get split up when they enter a town? Interesting approach. Are there even segments to large areas, like when you go from, say, the woods to rolling hills?

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 08:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
Aye, it looked (and ran) absolutely spiffing on the old 9600xt too, albeit at a lower resolution. I'm currently on 1280x960, no AA/AF.

I'm going to have to play around with vid settings. I've got a 256MB 9800Pro and was running @ 1024x768 w/ 2xAA.

Jesus of Suburbia
Jesus of Suburbia
PostPosted: 02-22-2005 08:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
U4EA wrote:

Sounds like zone instances in City of Heroes. So everyone's in the same zone when outside towns, and only get split up when they enter a town? Interesting approach. Are there even segments to large areas, like when you go from, say, the woods to rolling hills?

You've kinda got it backwards. When you are in a mission, your party has a unique instance of that area. When you are in a city/staging area, there are districts, containing a couple hundred players. You can move between districts, but chat is district specific.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 01:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
No worries; hopefully you'll get yer pre-order before the next beta; if that's the case (and there's no character wipe) I'll be more than happy to help you out.
Hell, if there is a character wipe, I'll be starting again anyway, so I'll be in a position to help you.

Aye, same goes for me (the helping out bit for anyone who needs/wants it i.e. :o). BTW, in the early Ascalon area, the party size is limited to 2 so it makes it a bit more interesting and perhaps a little irritating at the same time. It's hard to explain.

Mat, I've got a strange idea for a Ranger build to experiment with in March. They're said that they're not gonna wipe characters until release now, so I don't what your priority will be since Thrud is Lvl 20. Anyways, back to the weird idea -> I'll be starting a Lvl 1 melee Ranger/Warrior :D .. I plan on investing in Expertise (Ranger primary), Tactics and Swordsmanship. Should be interesting to say the least. I hope Vahl sticks with his monk cause I'll probably need more TLC than a Warrior tank.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-23-2005 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, now I've got Thrud his complete armour and skillsets, I'll just be looking for runes, which to be honest can be grabbed anywhere, so I can play at whatever level is the most help (although obviously Thrud doesn't have access to pre-searing Ascalon).

The only other thing I'm toying with doing with Thrud is getting him a set of Elite Gladiator's Armour.
That adds +5 energy per piece, so if I felt inclined, I could rearrange his attributes and focus him more on healing.
At the moment he's got Axe Mastery 12, Tactics 11, Strength 6 and the rest in Healing Prayers.
So if the whim took me, I could make him an armoured healer...

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 04:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's an awesome video which sums up my experiences as a monk pretty well :D

Obviously not made by myself, and you'd have to swap PvP with PvE, but the concept is the same.

Faded Dream
Faded Dream
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 05:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is the game fun?
it looks incredible. if the gameplay is up to par i might pick it up

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 05:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's incredible man, you really have to play it to fall in love with it though. Get the pre-order so you can play the March Beta Event =)

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 05:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i might have a few extra beta keys laying about.. if i dig em up i might hand em out to people ^_^

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*pre-emptive bumpage*

The next event is starting in less than 4 days, 8 AM GMT on the 18th of March. Who's in this time around?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm gonna try and aquire a key, so OverRide and me can team up

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which reminds me, we didn't see OverRide at all last time around .. ?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

his PCU blew up a few days before the weekend, pc was in repairs for 2 weeks

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 02:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got my DS to tide me over 'til Friday, but otherwise, can't wait!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.