Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        PHOTOS PLEASE

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: PHOTOS PLEASE

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-08-2011 06:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some new pieces of work:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-08-2011 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:
Russian government have denied my visa.

Yeahso wrote:
I was going on my press pass as a photojournalist.

it's either this, or you have a criminal record

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-08-2011 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sys0p sets the bar for q3w photographers.

Awesome shots...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 04-08-2011 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

very impressive pictures indeed!

is there anything Yeahso doesnt do well?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-10-2011 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
sys0p sets the bar for q3w photographers.

Awesome shots...

He's in a different league than the rest of us here with cameras, that is certain.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-10-2011 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:
Some new pieces of work:

Sorry to bug you about lighting setups all the time - was there a specific thing you had to do in order to light up the teeth in his mouth that way? Specifically the molars in his lower jaw - I'd think there would have
been more shadow on them.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-10-2011 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah man. Check where the shadow on his nose falls. It's going slightly up, which tells you the lightsource was sitting low relative to the middle of his face. The mouth was lit with the same light as the rest of the shot.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-10-2011 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, I saw that the catchlight in his eyes looked like the source was low.
Did you use a beauty dish here?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-10-2011 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, old faithful lol

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-10-2011 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, also, don't rely too much on the catchlight. That could've just been a fill light or over-exposed bounce.

Shadows and highlights never lie.

Also, just as I wrote that, I realised I didn't shoot this with a beauty dish at all. I used a ring flash.

My bad. It's quite blatant now that I look at it.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-10-2011 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just saw the rounded shape of the catchlight and figured it was something round. What ring flash do you use?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-10-2011 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alienbees dude, alienbees everything. I'm too cheap for anything expensive. Profoto one day if I ever quadruple and then double my salary.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 10:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thought you might like to see the original images before I retouched:

That's of the girl I posted on the page before.

Ordinarily I'd have created the light beforehand, but this happened to be a shot that I was taking as I set the shoot up. Just a single lightsource. Image was never intended to go into any of the final shots, but it made a fun retouch experiment.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:
Alienbees dude, alienbees everything. I'm too cheap for anything expensive. Profoto one day if I ever quadruple and then double my salary.

I have 2 AB800s - and they work great. I also have a bunch of old Nikon speedlights - SB-25s, 24s, 28s, etc, for more portable off camera lighting. I wish Canon's speedlight system was as good as Nikons. That is one thing
that McNally and Hobby both mentioned - they said they could get by with bodies from either Canon or Nikon, but that Nikon really had an edge with the current generation of flashes.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, could you post the pre-edit version of the guy with the headphones? That's the one I am really curious about seeing beforehand.

Did you develop your processing workflow just from experimenting on your own or did you emulate anyone else?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My workflow is pretty organic, I don't know a thing about anyone else's retouching techniques, it's all just stuff I've developed by playing around.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 05:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here are some random shots - don't do studio portraiture, wish I had more opportunities for it.

Shot from an 80s night concert done put on by a local band.

Hockey Player:

Nephew

Nephew, again, on his way to becoming an alcoholic redneck

Nephew, again, being launched into the air.

A shot from one of the very, very few model shoots I do. Not my favorite style of photography - I realize some people love the 'play with your hair, look serious, look pouty, smile, flip your hair around, etc. while I fire off a ton of pictures'
method of fashion photography, but I'd rather take a portrait that I put thought into.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Hockey Player:

Was his cage open?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think so. I just told him to put his helmet on for the shot. I wish the bar wasn't blocking one of his eyes here.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can tell from how far the J-clips are from the cage. If his cage was closed, his eyes would've lined up perfectly with the bars. Still a good shot though.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Love the footballer one tnf, good shit.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-11-2011 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to be doing a shoot with a few football players this spring and was testing out some lighting setups
that would give them the "I'm a badass because I play football" look they want in their shots. I go shirtless in the next series...stay tuned.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-12-2011 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Booked another wedding today - have wanted to shoot a barn wedding for awhile, finally getting the chance this August.

Yeahso - you mentioned not liking wedding photography, and I can understand why in terms of how they can be creatively stifling with
so many women wanting the same thing, but in regards to weddings, have you seen much of Jeff Ascough's work?
I think he's my favorite wedding photographer - with all of the perfectly exposed, noiseless shots out there - this guy uses nothing but
natural light, cranks up that ISO (using two Mark IV's now) and creates amazing stuff.

http://www.jeffascough.com/

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-12-2011 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Booked another wedding today - have wanted to shoot a barn wedding for awhile, finally getting the chance this August.

Yeahso - you mentioned not liking wedding photography, and I can understand why in terms of how they can be creatively stifling with
so many women wanting the same thing, but in regards to weddings, have you seen much of Jeff Ascough's work?
I think he's my favorite wedding photographer - with all of the perfectly exposed, noiseless shots out there - this guy uses nothing but
natural light, cranks up that ISO (using two Mark IV's now) and creates amazing stuff.

:up:

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-12-2011 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To see a guy with no flash just running around snapping candid pics - it gets frustrating to see guys who make it look so easy and end up with stuff that looks like Ascough's work.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-12-2011 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

A very cool link :eek:

This guy is good!

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 04-13-2011 04:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

LOL ... that's how I shot my cousin's wedding, as just a face in the crowd with entry level equipment not because it was my choice but because it's all I had. They liked my pictures more than the ones from the hired photographer. winning

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-15-2011 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been trying to achieve a look somewhat similar to what you did with that DJ picture for years sys0p and still can't quite get it.

Here's an example of an out of the camera shot and edited version.

Image Image

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The lighting is really flat.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, it was a rather boring shot and that is actually kind of what she was looking for. She wanted a few pictures for a portfolio for the acting and she said the people looking at them prefer nothing too dramatic because they want to see what they will be working with on screen (this is all small-time stuff though - I really don't know, I'm far from an expert in doing publicity shots for actors/actresses/etc...it seems to me that they'd prefer something more interesting.) I want to do some headshots that have a lot more dimensionality to them using multiple lights and modifiers that create some more interesting shadows. This was just a shot with a giant 60 inch umbrella that pretty much just throws soft even light over everything - there are a lot of people around here who are getting a lot of business by doing nothing but that. They have a studio with a light setup that never moves, they drop people into place in front of a huge roll of gray or white seamless paper, and start blasting shots with the same lighting. It looks decent and the average customer is very happy with the fact that everyone is exposed well. They go on to do a little photoshopping and its all done. I really don't want to be that photographer.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alot of people go for that look because of the softer features. The actress in your retouched shot has less...uhm...noticable creases around the mouth and cheeks and it nearly got rid of her eye bags.

Conversely, your self-portrait has really good lighting...mainly because of your lumberjack manly man looks and scrotum full of win. :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
I've been trying to achieve a look somewhat similar to what you did with that DJ picture for years sys0p and still can't quite get it.

I don't quite get what you're saying. Is the first sentence linked to the picture, or just a general comment?

If you want the look of the DJ shot, you need a ring flash and then to process it the way I do.

As for the image, you need to light and process in a way that either flatters the model, or deliberately draws out her flaws.

She's got a very pointy chin, so she needs a reflector or something to fill in the shadow under her chin. Her eyes are kind of close together, but she has a wide face. Either an illusion created by the eyes, or just a wide face. In either case, less direct light to bath part of her face in a shadow would thin her.

Like GKY said, the lighting is quite flat. In which case, she would benefit from some dodging and burning to give her features a bit of depth. Also, when you increase contrast to such a high level, you should be sure to reduce saturation slightly, as you've lost detail in the top, and the jeans are now an unnaturally deep blue.

I'd have also put her hair behind her back, maybe. Depending on how wide her neck was.

All of this is just hindsight though, plenty of the things I mentioned I would probably have missed if I'd have only had limited time with her.

Nice shot though, well posed and nicely processed.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeahso wrote:
tnf wrote:

I don't quite get what you're saying. Is the first sentence linked to the picture, or just a general comment?

If you want the look of the DJ shot, you need a ring flash and then to process it the way I do.

As for the image, you need to light and process in a way that either flatters the model, or deliberately draws out her flaws.

She's got a very pointy chin, so she needs a reflector or something to fill in the shadow under her chin. Her eyes are kind of close together, but she has a wide face. Either an illusion created by the eyes, or just a wide face. In either case, less direct light to bath part of her face in a shadow would thin her.

Like GKY said, the lighting is quite flat. In which case, she would benefit from some dodging and burning to give her features a bit of depth. Also, when you increase contrast to such a high level, you should be sure to reduce saturation slightly, as you've lost detail in the top, and the jeans are now an unnaturally deep blue.

I'd have also put her hair behind her back, maybe. Depending on how wide her neck was.

All of this is just hindsight though, plenty of the things I mentioned I would probably have missed if I'd have only had limited time with her.

Nice shot though, well posed and nicely processed.

Yea, I know the shot has a lot of work needed. Not a strength of mine for sure.

Regarding the DJ shot - and some of your portraits in general - I'm talking about the tones you achieved in the processing vs. the original shot. I don't think I'd called it 'hyper-real' (you've probably seen
shots classified as that type of processing with portraits that have a specific look to them). What I am talking about is achieving a look that might be classified as 'hyper real lite' - again, I don't expect an explanation because
I'm not even able to really quantify what it is I am talking about, but suffice it to say there is just a look regarding the tones of the image, the range of darks to lights, the way things are exaggerated a bit without being over the top, I don't know....

I just know there is a look I see in my head for the way I want a few of my processed portraits to look, and that I can't quite achieve it with the processing I am able to do. I think the starting point for my would be to learn how to do
the hyper-real portraits and then start tweaking from there. Searching for 'hyper real portraits' brings up images that are a little too overdone - but I could see myself achieving the look I am thinking of by getting to that point and then toning it down a bit. I haven't found a good hyper real tutorial that worked with the images I was starting with.

Sorry that doesn't make much sense.

And thanks for the feedback about my image. I realize I have a long, long way to go - but I'm glad to hear what I need work on. Too many people where I'm at are content to just keep telling each other that their mediocre work is great and they
don't progress at all - which keeps them right in that 'average' group of photographers that flood the market. I am in the start of my 3rd year of using a camera and I originally had a 5 year goal to be really bringing in the wedding business - so I'm on the track I am shooting for at the moment.

EDIT - I said the term 'hyper real' too many times.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 04-16-2011 02:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a facebook album entitled boomer, into which I upload pictures of gastronomical monstrosities:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.