Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        PHOTOS PLEASE

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: PHOTOS PLEASE

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-01-2012 11:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
YEAH!!!!!

OK andyman, a story you must tell here.

Surely that's not a hand held lens, even a tripod I would think difficult taking on our Jupiter :D

You venturing into astronomy, telescopes at the least?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-02-2012 12:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

whoa

that's like seeing jupiter the way astronomers a few centuries ago must have seen it. can you do the same with mars, maybe find some canals?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-02-2012 12:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK, that's impressive.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-02-2012 01:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow - impressive indeed

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 11-02-2012 03:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
andyman wrote:
YEAH!!!!!

/quote]

OK andyman, a story you must tell here.

Surely that's not a hand held lens, even a tripod I would think difficult taking on our Jupiter :D

You venturing into astronomy, telescopes at the least?

I was taking pictures of the moon last night and could see the very bright object right above it and figured it was a planet, but it was getting late so I started to pack up but then changed my mind and tried to get a few pictures of it. Took FOREVER to get lined up, then i screwed up the focus, and was never sure if I got it as focused as possible because of the moving haze and impossible erratic movement whenever you touch the rig, so I had to just guess. This is a layered picture, and is as good as it is going to get with my gear.
A tracking mount would yield much better planetary pictures, but those are expensive and I would want a new telescope as well, so that's like $2000. I still want the stuff though, love taking these pictures.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 11-02-2012 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-02-2012 03:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you use Star Walk on iPhone/Pad?

PostPosted: 11-02-2012 03:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've got SkyView on the ipod but only use it to see where the moon is, or will be, when i don't want to get up and look. still handy though. it should be super clear tonight, and the moon and jupiter will be in the same position so I'll give it another go but with a bit more effort this time.

PostPosted: 11-02-2012 08:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did the moon first and got the best focus i could, then moved to jupiter so it would be in focus. the best images came out with a lower iso, low enough to barely see it, and then give a small boost of exposure in Ps.
This is with the 25mm eyepiece, i tried with the 9mm and finding it was hopeless. For comparison, i have a hard time finding the moon with the 9mm piece!

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-02-2012 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should be able to pick the eye up at that detail

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-03-2012 03:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice shot :up: shame the spot is facing away from earth during the night

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-03-2012 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

interesting, so it has the same 24 hour rotation as us? if not, surely there will be nights where it could show up at night... or maybe a diff. season.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-03-2012 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i think the spot was identified centuries ago, so its orbit isn't synchronised with ours in any way

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-03-2012 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thought it rotated :)

Quote:
Jupiter rotation movie, taken by Voyager 1 in 1979, over a period of approximately 15 hours. This equates to one and a half Jovian days.

Category
Education
License
Standard YouTube License

of some interest

:arrow: andyman: You were using a telescope weren't you?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-03-2012 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, he's using a telescope of some sort and a DSLR camera. It's been mentioned previously and if you look back many pictures he had a photo of it strapped to a stool to take pictures of the moon (though I think he has since upgraded the stool).

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-03-2012 10:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Yes, he's using a telescope of some sort and a DSLR camera. It's been mentioned previously and if you look back many pictures he had a photo of it strapped to a stool to take pictures of the moon (though I think he has since upgraded the stool).

Yes I do remember that but I didn't believe that would take this picture... It is such a small spot in a big sky.
Again andyman, love the effort :up:

I recall as a youth, my first telescope and seeing the rings of Saturn and these belts on Jupiter.
It has to be about 45 years ago :smirk: :rolleyes: :eek:

Here is the "stool strap device" you mention obsidian, just for the followers here :D ... about out page 173........
That sounds evil or sexual :question:

PostPosted: 11-04-2012 03:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

current setup... added 5 more pounds (the plates) to help counterbalance since it was a mess before that. set up at ~27.9 degrees elevation for tampa, and i point the eq mount in the direction of my best guess for polaris since i can't see it from the balcony. it is a shitty mount though... everything makes it vibrate even a little... trucks going by, peoples shitty dubstep shit fuck music blaring through their cheapass stock car stereos, sometimes the pulse in my thumb if i hold the camera remote too tightly. really need a wireless remote. I want to make a remote controlled focuser too but i'm not really sure how that will be done. focusing by touching and turning the knob is super difficult because of all the shake.
really, i just want to win some raffle and get a $10k setups for free lol :)

Image Image

Image Image

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 04:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol poor people

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 04:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:

lol poor people

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman, two thoughts?

Get out of town (literally) and pick a quiet (vibration) spot. I remember on the Haley's Comet visit I made the effort to drive out of the light at least.

I understated the focus issue but exposure, what time span are we talking in the Moon & Jupiter shots? Is it possible to use the self timer for long exposures.

Here is a night sky (probably my first effort) and I am a complete amateur here.

Love them stars :up:

f/5
exposure time 30 seconds
ISO 6400

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This image was my second ever attempt at shooting the Milky Way - out in the middle of nowhere, at least 3.5 hours from the nearest city lights right along the Canadian border.

Happened to catch a small shooting star from the tail end of the Perseides shower when I took this.
I'm a complete amateur with this type of shooting - all I knew to try was shooting wide open (with this lens that was F4 - I was using the Canon 17-40 F4L lens), going with 20-30 seconds of exposure
- any longer and star movement becomes a significant issue - but I think shooting at around 17mm helps reduce the perceived impact of this, and to crank up the ISO - this was ISO 6400.

To illuminate the small church, I held a speedlite in my hand and manually set it off while pointing it at the building during the long exposure.

Nothing compared to the true masters of this type of work but for a second effort I was happy enough.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 06:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice!

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:

did the moon first and got the best focus i could, then moved to jupiter so it would be in focus. the best images came out with a lower iso, low enough to barely see it, and then give a small boost of exposure in Ps.
This is with the 25mm eyepiece, i tried with the 9mm and finding it was hopeless. For comparison, i have a hard time finding the moon with the 9mm piece!

That is awesome.

With a 400mm on my 1.3x crop 1D Mark IV (520mm) I can get jupiter to look like a tiny round ball and if you crop in enough you can just barely seen a line or two across it - but we're talking maybe a pixel or two wide line - its ridiculously small.

When are you going to try shooting a galaxy? Does your scope do motorized tracking where you could set your camera to BULB, focus on Andromeda, and let it go for a long time?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's a shot from a wedding this summer. Weddings pay well, but I've learned quickly why some photographers hate them - they can be really creatively stifling.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-04-2012 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

........ to catch a small shooting star from the tail end of the Perseides shower ....

Just noticed a trail (probably a satellite) in the bottom left of mine I hasn't noticed before..

and illuminating the small church (hand held a speedlite).. I did the same but waived a hang held torch (flashlight) about... Looking for that picture..

Here it is :D and still the amateur.

Yes: some cloud in mine :/

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 11-04-2012 09:05 PM, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 11-04-2012 08:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The mount is completely manual, no money for motorized right now. I'd love to go to a dark area but they are farrrr away. I live in a white zone but a friend of mine lives in a yellow area and it's much noticeably darker there. One of these days I'll get up there for a night so long as it isn't cloudy. Next week is a 3 day weekend, maybe then and the moon should be out of the picture too. Have to see what happens... maybe just use the telescope for viewing :)

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

When we used to go camping in the rocky mountains I could see absolutely everything with no scopes at all... galaxies, satellites, everything. Some day I'll go back there... no time soon though. A trip like that I'd have to bring a slew of equipment that I don't even have just to make it worthwhile

For example, this is what the sky looks like where i live... it's like muddy water
https://vimeo.com/23428369

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-05-2012 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

god i miss this view. haven't seen a night sky like this since new zealand

southern england = light pollution central

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-05-2012 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Here's a shot from a wedding this summer. Weddings pay well, but I've learned quickly why some photographers hate them - they can be really creatively stifling.

EVERYONE IS FAT

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-05-2012 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
tnf wrote:

EVERYONE IS FAT

It's America.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-05-2012 09:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf, how did you get the lighting on the people like that? It looks like you have a spotlight hanging right above each couple, yet everyone is clearly in the middle of a field.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 11-06-2012 09:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
tnf, how did you get the lighting on the people like that? It looks like you have a spotlight hanging right above each couple, yet everyone is clearly in the middle of a field.

Flash composite technique I use - it can be really cool in a variety of settings. Camera on a tripod (or just stabilized if you don't have one). Set exposure like I would for any other off-camera shot getting my sky/ambient exposure set right.
Then I have an assistant stand next to each couple and hold a speedlite or an alienbee with a grid on it next to the first couple - the distance and angle she holds it at depends on the light and the look I want - I usually use bare flash or small modifiers to keep the light a bit hard/edgier looking for this. In this case, she held the flash about 2 feet or so above and just to the side of a couple. I'd shoot, then she'd move to the next couple while the others hold relatively still - they don't have to be absolutelly still if there is a bit of room between them, but if you are using a large group with lots of overlapping people, its tricky. Assistant lights each couple, I shoot 7 or so exposures, however many couples there are basically, and I usually shoot one more with no flash and assistant totally out of the frame just in case I need foreground or background elements for cloning/layering that she was in the way of.

Then I just use layer masks and create one final image with each couple lit up.

Here's another - cropped my watermark out of the bottom - so the actual shot doesn't have such a tight crop along their feet. This one was quite rushed due to the wedding schedule, so there are several little details I wasn't happy with and the lighting wasn't quite what I wanted.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-07-2012 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, it's a composite, I see. Cool effect, thanks.

I had thought that maybe you called Goof's gray buddies and have them hovering above each couple with their tractor beams on. :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-07-2012 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
Weddings pay well, but I've learned quickly why some photographers hate them - they can be really creatively stifling.

With emphasis on "can" there, right? Because that pic you posted is probably one of the most creative wedding pics I've ever seen.

By the way, did you recolor the dresses? They're a distinctly different color in the 2nd pic. Or is that a different wedding where they happened to have matching outfits as well?

Last edited by Eraser on 11-07-2012 11:47 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-07-2012 11:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
tnf wrote:

........ to catch a small shooting star from the tail end of the Perseides shower ....

Just noticed a trail (probably a satellite) in the bottom left of mine I hasn't noticed before..

and illuminating the small church (hand held a speedlite).. I did the same but waived a hang held torch (flashlight) about... Looking for that picture..

Here it is :D and still the amateur.

http://i.imgur.com/RHL9i.jpg

Yes: some cloud in mine :/

I am so jealous of you. To get pics like that, I'd have to drive for hours to get out of the light pollution. It's a real shame. I would really like nights to be a lot darker here. Turn off street lights and everything. But there's also lots of greenhouses around where I live and those just emit so much light, it's crazy. Turns the sky into this yellowish orange hue at night. That's why whenever I have the opportunity to see the sky like that at night, I take a few minutes to marvel at the beauty of it.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-08-2012 01:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I am so jealous of you. To get pics like that, I'd have to drive for hours to get out of the light pollution. It's a real shame. I would really like nights to be a lot darker here. Turn off street lights and everything. But there's also lots of greenhouses around where I live and those just emit so much light, it's crazy. Turns the sky into this yellowish orange hue at night. That's why whenever I have the opportunity to see the sky like that at night, I take a few minutes to marvel at the beauty of it.

Don't feel too bad Eraser :smirk:

A few posts ago I had some snaps of some wonderful blue & green coastline somewhere overseas, and no one cared to guess where ....

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Just a couple of snaps as I am no photographer :smirk: of our recent trip overseas.
The place so blue and so green :D

Have a guess where in the world these are from if you like; will advise later...

[3 x images]

Well that was Norfolk Island.
A wonderful little island, miles from most anywhere.
It wasn't hard even for this novice to wonder at the night sky and these photographs were my first real efforts..

BTW seremtan was close if guessing :up: as New Zealand

google maps
PS: don't forget to zoom out :sly:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.